XBMC & Firefly Hookup

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Most of the music is purchased from Itunes, so I guess that’s my issue on XBMC. I guess I was confused & thought XBMC would play the purchased, unconverted music. It does work if I convert to mp3 and use Itunes.

Iris
    Participant

I’ve been following this thread with some interest as I’ve just recently acquired and softmodded the original Xbox. I created a source to access my network share on my NAS which btw also runs FF serving to my Roku’s. Since the Xbox can access all my songs incl. artwork, etc. I don’t really see the need to configure the Xbox to connect to FF. So I guess that’s my first question – is there some advantage I’m overlooking by using the network share as the source instead of FF?

I did set-up a source pointing to :3689 and can access FF but all I see in this case is just my playlists which btw are m3u files and any smart playlists I’ve created. I can’t browse songs, albums or artists. I was expecting this to work similar to the Roku’s but I guess it doesn’t because the Xbox lacks the protocols. Is this right?

Also, upon connecting to FF the scan within the Xbox takes quite awhile – anybody else experience this? Is this normal?

If someone has more experience with the Xbox and FF I’m very interested in exploring this further – even if it’s just to gain more insight.

I also don’t use iTunes whatsoever so from my reading I believe that’s perhaps what the original intention of connecting the Xbox to a Daap server and that FF just got included in the mix and that’s where my confusion comes in.

Iris

rpedde
    Participant

@Iris wrote:

I’ve been following this thread with some interest as I’ve just recently acquired and softmodded the original Xbox. I created a source to access my network share on my NAS which btw also runs FF serving to my Roku’s. Since the Xbox can access all my songs incl. artwork, etc. I don’t really see the need to configure the Xbox to connect to FF. So I guess that’s my first question – is there some advantage I’m overlooking by using the network share as the source instead of FF?

Not really.

I did set-up a source pointing to :3689 and can access FF but all I see in this case is just my playlists which btw are m3u files and any smart playlists I’ve created. I can’t browse songs, albums or artists. I was expecting this to work similar to the Roku’s but I guess it doesn’t because the Xbox lacks the protocols. Is this right?

Right. The xbox uses daap, and it doesn’t even really use that right. it could implement artist or album browsing, but doesn’t really have a good interface for it.

Also, upon connecting to FF the scan within the Xbox takes quite awhile – anybody else experience this? Is this normal?

daap is *really* slow compared to rsp. Particularly on a slow machine like a slug or mss.

I also don’t use iTunes whatsoever so from my reading I believe that’s perhaps what the original intention of connecting the Xbox to a Daap server and that FF just got included in the mix and that’s where my confusion comes in.

Yup, originally it was to connect to iTunes, but it doens’t connect to itunes anymore — apple keeps changing the encryption too often. But by now, there are bunches of daap servers, so thats what everyone uses if they want to share via daap. Or, more likely, already have daap set up, and don’t want to try and use another (more featureful?) access method.

— Ron

Iris
    Participant

Thanks Ron – I just needed some confirmation.

Iris

zelet
    Participant

I have the same problem:
    1. I can see my FF server and playlists from my very recently updated XMBC
    2. I can see the songs
    3. If I click on them it says too many problems or something like that

The other weird thing is that I can connect to the FF server with iTunes and it plays fine – just not from XBMC. Anybody got any suggestions?

Firefly log Error (this comes up several times in the log)
    (01b68400): Write error: Broken pipe

XBMC Error
    “Playlist playback aborted
    Too many consecutive failed items

rpedde
    Participant

@zelet wrote:

I have the same problem:
    1. I can see my FF server and playlists from my very recently updated XMBC
    2. I can see the songs
    3. If I click on them it says too many problems or something like that

The other weird thing is that I can connect to the FF server with iTunes and it plays fine – just not from XBMC. Anybody got any suggestions?

Firefly log Error (this comes up several times in the log)
    (01b68400): Write error: Broken pipe

XBMC Error
    “Playlist playback aborted
    Too many consecutive failed items

The firefly server has to be on port 3689, that’s one thing.

And xbmc might not do transcoded stuff.

zelet
    Participant

Thanks for the reply.

I’m not sure what you mean by transcoding. My music is all in MP3 format.

Also, the server is set to 3689.

Any other suggestions? I’m at a complete loss.

rpedde
    Participant

@zelet wrote:

Thanks for the reply.

I’m not sure what you mean by transcoding. My music is all in MP3 format.

Also, the server is set to 3689.

Any other suggestions? I’m at a complete loss.

Yup, me too. That’s why my experience with the daap player on xbmc has been. That’s why I switched to smb based music.

— Ron

zelet
    Participant

My problem is that I’ve set up smart playlists and ratings in iTunes that I use all the time and I don’t want to lose those.

I really don’t want to reward Apple by buying an AppleTV for breaking daap in iTunes.

Anonymous
    Inactive

i think it has something to do with xbmc not fully supporting DAAP. at least thats what i gathered from my searches..

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • The forum ‘Setup Issues’ is closed to new topics and replies.