WiX progress

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    bedrock
    Participant

Just to let you know how I’m getting on, I now have a basic WiX based install for Firefly.

I have a launch condition for Bonjour and i am using the merge module for the c runtimes.

I’m now looking at what i can do in WiX with regards to the HasMap, HasLog and HasConf sections of the current NSIS based install script, i’m still learning WiX and not entirely sure if i can do whats needed with regards to these sections πŸ˜•

-Nic

rpedde
    Participant

@bedrock wrote:

Just to let you know how I’m getting on, I now have a basic WiX based install for Firefly.

I have a launch condition for Bonjour and i am using the merge module for the c runtimes.

I’m now looking at what i can do in WiX with regards to the HasMap, HasLog and HasConf sections of the current NSIS based install script, i’m still learning WiX and not entirely sure if i can do whats needed with regards to these sections πŸ˜•

-Nic

yay!

I think most of that can be ignored for now… probably have to have people uninstall current version to get on the msi builds anyway, so won’t have to mess with the legacy config.

Bigger question is how to handle lots of versions… like, how to do nightlies.

bedrock
    Participant

Ok Ron, i’ll take a look at upgrades etc… to support nightly builds.

I’m kinda stuck at the moment figuring out how to close down the tray app before uninstall, but i’ll keep digging

rpedde
    Participant

@bedrock wrote:

Ok Ron, i’ll take a look at upgrades etc… to support nightly builds.

I’m kinda stuck at the moment figuring out how to close down the tray app before uninstall, but i’ll keep digging

I think right now, I’m sending a WM_USER or something to close it down. If there is a way of IPC that would work better from wix, I could certainly add that to the tray app to make it easier to communicate from the installer to the tray icon.

I just don’t know what it would be. πŸ™‚

— Ron

bedrock
    Participant

I’ve got it figured, there is a WiX UtilExtension that has a CloseApplication custom action, this basically works the same as you previous had with NSIS, i.e. it find the target application and sends a WM_CLOSE message.

Also, as far as nightly builds go, i would think we could do this the same way the WiX team do with there weeklies, the WiX source can be authored with an Upgrade code and version number, so that it basically performs an upgrade (detects the previous msi version, run it to uninstall the previous and then installs the new version)

I’m still testing this out, but it appears to be working ok.

Something that I’ve not looked at at all is localisation πŸ˜• I know that WiX can support this, but i think the number of languages currently supported by WiX is quite minimal…

Also, i don’t currently have any way of testing this

-Nic

rpedde
    Participant

@bedrock wrote:

I’ve got it figured, there is a WiX UtilExtension that has a CloseApplication custom action, this basically works the same as you previous had with NSIS, i.e. it find the target application and sends a WM_CLOSE message.

Also, as far as nightly builds go, i would think we could do this the same way the WiX team do with there weeklies, the WiX source can be authored with an Upgrade code and version number, so that it basically performs an upgrade (detects the previous msi version, run it to uninstall the previous and then installs the new version)

I’m still testing this out, but it appears to be working ok.

Something that I’ve not looked at at all is localisation πŸ˜• I know that WiX can support this, but i think the number of languages currently supported by WiX is quite minimal…

Also, i don’t currently have any way of testing this

-Nic

Me neither. But there are lots of people here that can speak languages I can’t. If it’s not tex-mex curse words or poor english, I can’t speak it.

bedrock
    Participant

Hi Ron,

Not sure if you’ve managed to get back on Windows or not yet, but i am going to be away all of next week (Skiing vacation :))

I’ve uploaded the WiX code i have, which i think does everything the current installer does (without any localisation yet!)

www.nicbedford.co.uk/files/wix.zip

It’s a WiX v3 project. And should be placed in mt-daapd/win32/wix and i’ve built using

http://wix.sourceforge.net/releases/3.0.3704.0/

because 3.0.3711.0 is broken in VS2008

If you get a chance to take a look and give some feedback, also maybe we can discuss SVN access via email?

-Nic

bedrock
    Participant

Ok, i am back from vacation, i see no update in this thread, so i guess your still busy on non-windows stuff πŸ™‚

I’ll keep quite until there is some sort of feedback, i’ve got a pretty hectic couple of months coming up anyways

-Nic

rpedde
    Participant

@bedrock wrote:

Ok, i am back from vacation, i see no update in this thread, so i guess your still busy on non-windows stuff πŸ™‚

I’ll keep quite until there is some sort of feedback, i’ve got a pretty hectic couple of months coming up anyways

-Nic

No, just slow and dumb. πŸ™‚

Response via email.

— Ron

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The forum ‘Setup Issues’ is closed to new topics and replies.