Windows vs Mac Client support

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    tuxkilla
    Participant

Let me preface: I am running an mt-daapd server (Ubuntu 6.10), and have both a Mac and a PC.
    I have been running a firefly server for a couple of days, and have no trouble connecting to my shared music on the windows version of iTunes (7.0), but on the mac version of itunes, the shared library will show up correctly, play for 31 seconds, and then stop playing, and the shared library will disappear from itunes. The Mac version of itunes is 7.3.1, and the mt-daapd is the latest stable version (0.2.4)
    The fact that everything is working fantastic on the windows version makes me believe that the server is working properly, and it is merely a setting I am missing in Mac OSX that I need to switch, in order to let it stay connected to the shared library. I have the firewall turned off, but from what I have been reading, I need to mess around with some multicasting?
    Thanks
    Rob

rpedde
    Participant

@tuxkilla wrote:

Let me preface: I am running an mt-daapd server (Ubuntu 6.10), and have both a Mac and a PC.
    I have been running a firefly server for a couple of days, and have no trouble connecting to my shared music on the windows version of iTunes (7.0), but on the mac version of itunes, the shared library will show up correctly, play for 31 seconds, and then stop playing, and the shared library will disappear from itunes. The Mac version of itunes is 7.3.1, and the mt-daapd is the latest stable version (0.2.4)
    The fact that everything is working fantastic on the windows version makes me believe that the server is working properly, and it is merely a setting I am missing in Mac OSX that I need to switch, in order to let it stay connected to the shared library. I have the firewall turned off, but from what I have been reading, I need to mess around with some multicasting?
    Thanks
    Rob

Yeah, that’s sort of what it sounds like. Either that, or the server is crashing. Does it stay in the windows shared library list, or does it disappear from both? And when it happens, and you do a “ps auxw” on the server, do you see the mt-daapd processes?

Not sure what’s happening exactly — the server crashing, or a multicast issue.

tuxkilla
    Participant

The server is still running, as it has been streaming music to the Windows box for over a day straight. It is happening on the Mac client side.

kellyharding
    Participant

You could try downgrading I guess to 7.2 of iTunes, I think it should be possible?

Also, are the server, windows box and Mac all on the same network hardware?

Is there a wireless router anywhere?

I find my linksys wireless router drops multicast after a few days usage and it needs a kick/reboot.

Kelly

rpedde
    Participant

@kellyharding wrote:

You could try downgrading I guess to 7.2 of iTunes, I think it should be possible?

Also, are the server, windows box and Mac all on the same network hardware?

Is there a wireless router anywhere?

I find my linksys wireless router drops multicast after a few days usage and it needs a kick/reboot.

Kelly

That’s a good point. Also, some wireless routers have flaky multicast, or need to go into the web admin for them and enable multicast/IGRP.

Firmware update fixed a problem like htat on my dad’s d-link, too, so that might help.

— Ron

tuxkilla
    Participant

just to post an update, I downgraded iTunes to 7.0.1, and it works flawlessly on the Mac now with no other changes.
    FYI, the server is running Firefly 0.2.4 on Ubuntu 6.10.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.