Windows Home Server Add-In

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    bedrock
    Participant

I played with mt-daapd a long time ago on a slug (Linksys NSLU2) device, however i have just started playing with Windows Home Server.

I installed firefly yesterday and was very impressed at how far this project seems to have come along (or maybe it’s just the windows implementation is a lot more polished than the slug package)

Anyway, here’s the point, i would be interested in porting the current windows system tray application into a WHS Add-In that could be run directly in the WHS console.

Has anyone else thought about this?
    Would anyone else like this support?

Thoughts?

rpedde
    Participant

@bedrock wrote:

I played with mt-daapd a long time ago on a slug (Linksys NSLU2) device, however i have just started playing with Windows Home Server.

I installed firefly yesterday and was very impressed at how far this project seems to have come along (or maybe it’s just the windows implementation is a lot more polished than the slug package)

Anyway, here’s the point, i would be interested in porting the current windows system tray application into a WHS Add-In that could be run directly in the WHS console.

Has anyone else thought about this?
    Would anyone else like this support?

Thoughts?

I’m a WHS fan, actually, despite being more of a linux guy than a windows guy.

So I’d be for it.

— Ron

bedrock
    Participant

Ok, thanks for the feedback Ron,

This isn’t going to be massively functional (it’s just going to be a WHS settings only add-in that does the same as the system tray applet)

Here’s how things are looking, let me know what you think…

I might have something approaching useable by the weekend.

Nic

rpedde
    Participant

@bedrock wrote:

Ok, thanks for the feedback Ron,

This isn’t going to be massively functional (it’s just going to be a WHS settings only add-in that does the same as the system tray applet)

Here’s how things are looking, let me know what you think…

Dude, that looks great. The install should really go to d:sharesmusic, though by default, shouldn’t it?

What’s the installer going to look like, and would you be interested in hosting it with the rest of the firefly stuff?

I’d like to make nightlies for it.

— Ron

bedrock
    Participant

Ron,

I wouldn’t worry about any paths in the screen shots, they were directly read from my mt-daapd.conf file. (and this is just a VM i setup for testing WHS dev stuff)

Installer – MS WHS SDK shows an example of using WiX to create a .msi so i’ll take a look at that. If you do it right, you should be able to copy the .msi to \SERVERSoftwareAdd-ins and then the WHS Console Add-ins tab will pick the package up and let you install it directly from within the console.

I’d certainly be happy to host it with the rest of the firefly stuff, although i’ve never used SVN before…

Nic

bedrock
    Participant

Hi again Ron (and everyone else reading this thread ๐Ÿ˜€ )

Ok, i’ve done a little more work on this add-in this morning and i am happy enough with it for you to have a play. I’ve uploaded a version here:

http://www.nicbedford.co.uk/files/InstallFireflyWHS.msi

You should be able to copy this msi file to your WHS (\SERVERSoftwareAdd-Ins) and then install it via the WHS console settings tab.

Like i said earlier i will be away over the weekend, so if there’s some feedback for me Monday morning that would be great.

Nic

rpedde
    Participant

@bedrock wrote:

http://www.nicbedford.co.uk/files/InstallFireflyWHS.msi

shiny.

So this is just the plug-in, right? Doesn’t actually have the full binary and everything.

The next obvious question would be how hard to a full install or upgrade of the app via an msi dropped in add-ins?

I’ve used wix before, and will probably (after the stable) migrate to wix/votive for an msi installer, and this is more justification to do so…

I’ll install this over the weekend and let you know.

Anyone else with WHS?

— Ron

Ken Warren

Yep. Though I haven’t posted here before, I push Firefly as a solution to streaming iTunes over on the WHS forums. And I’ve been using it for years, first on a kuro-box, then on WHS.

I’d been thinking about doing this very thing, but lack of time has kept me from it. I think it’s a great idea to get the whole package wrapped up as an add-in.

rpedde
    Participant

@Ken Warren wrote:

Yep. Though I haven’t posted here before, I push Firefly as a solution to streaming iTunes over on the WHS forums. And I’ve been using it for years, first on a kuro-box, then on WHS.

I’d been thinking about doing this very thing, but lack of time has kept me from it. I think it’s a great idea to get the whole package wrapped up as an add-in.

Vociferously — I’ve seen your posts on the connect forums. I should buy you a t-shirt.

There are lots of neat things that one could do from an add-in. But like you, I never really got the time to work on it. I toyed with the idea of a code2fame for it, but I’m not sure how far a not-wmp media streaming addin would have gone. ๐Ÿ™‚

Just as well — Nic seems to be doing a nice job of it.

— Ron

timd

@bedrock wrote:

Hi again Ron (and everyone else reading this thread ๐Ÿ˜€ )

Ok, i’ve done a little more work on this add-in this morning and i am happy enough with it for you to have a play. I’ve uploaded a version here:

Like i said earlier i will be away over the weekend, so if there’s some feedback for me Monday morning that would be great.

Nic

Hi Nic,
    Thanks for taking the time out to do this, installed it earlier and it’s all working great. First time I’ve successfully had firefly running from my WHS machine too. ๐Ÿ™‚
    No problems setting it up, already had firefly installed albeit not working.
    Tim.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 34 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.