WHS Install – Firefly serves Mac but not PCs?

FireFly Media Server Firefly Media Server Forums Firefly Media Server Setup Issues WHS Install – Firefly serves Mac but not PCs?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi, apologies for the newbie post, but I have researched the resources and have yet to solve this problem:

I have recently installed Firefly on a homebuild Windows Home Server, and after following the guidance to install Bonjour etc it appears to be working (I’m using v1586 together with the WHS Add-in).

It is definitely working correctly when iTunes is opened on our iMac – the shared folder appears straight away. (The iMac connects wirelessly to my DG834GT modem/router whilst the WHS is wired to it.)

However, I can’t get the same to work on either of my PCs, a laptop running XP Home which connects wirelessly, and a Vista Home Prem desktop which is wired.

I’ve tried obvious Windows-specific things like disabling the Windows firewall, but nothing has worked yet on either machine. To clarify, the only software on the PCs is iTunes (I believe Bonjour is bundled with it).

I’d be grateful for any assistance to get this working!

Thanks,

Tris

rpedde
    Participant

@Jasimog wrote:

Hi, apologies for the newbie post, but I have researched the resources and have yet to solve this problem:

I have recently installed Firefly on a homebuild Windows Home Server, and after following the guidance to install Bonjour etc it appears to be working (I’m using v1586 together with the WHS Add-in).

It is definitely working correctly when iTunes is opened on our iMac – the shared folder appears straight away. (The iMac connects wirelessly to my DG834GT modem/router whilst the WHS is wired to it.)

However, I can’t get the same to work on either of my PCs, a laptop running XP Home which connects wirelessly, and a Vista Home Prem desktop which is wired.

I’ve tried obvious Windows-specific things like disabling the Windows firewall, but nothing has worked yet on either machine. To clarify, the only software on the PCs is iTunes (I believe Bonjour is bundled with it).

I’d be grateful for any assistance to get this working!

Thanks,

Tris

Hrm. I don’t really have an answer for this, except that it seems that your multicast isn’t working from the windows machines for some reason. That’s kind of inexplicable, since the mac does work, though.

Not sure.. is the windows default in iTunes to enable searching for shared music? that might be worth checking in the iTunes prefs.

Double-checking to make sure the WHS and your pcs have the same subnet mask would be a good check, too.

Are you using the built-in windows firewall, or a third party one? If a third party, is there a specific option to allow multicast?

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks for the response, which at least confirmed that I wasn’t doing anything obviously dumb. I considered a multicast issue, but discounted it at first as the router was clearly working from the wired WHS to the wireless iMac.

I’ll take your points, dig around further and (hopefully) get this working! I can confirm that I am only using the Windows default firewall on the PCs.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I had the exact same problem and just found out it was the Norton Firewall. I disabled it and the Shared library popped right up. I have to play with its configs now.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks, I’ll give it a go.

rpedde
    Participant

@Jasimog wrote:

Thanks, I’ll give it a go.

Remembering that on windows, it uses port 9999, rather than 3689 to keep from bumping heads with iTunes.

— Ron

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The forum ‘Setup Issues’ is closed to new topics and replies.