You are here: Home » Topic » What NAS do you use for firefly(mt-daapd)

What NAS do you use for firefly(mt-daapd)

This topic contains 19 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by  g0pkh 10 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author

nivlacckw
    Participant

Hi,

What NAS do you use for firefly? I would like to take a survey on the following:

1. Model
    2. Firmware
    3. Unicode(UTF) file support

This should result a buyer’s guide on NAS for running firefly.

rpedde
    Participant

@nivlacckw wrote:

Hi,

What NAS do you use for firefly? I would like to take a survey on the following:

1. Model
    2. Firmware

I have (and use):

Linksys NLSU2, unslung 5.x (?), no utf
    Linksys NLSU2, debonaras (debian sarge), no utf
    Maxtor MSS II+, openmss 2.6.2 rc2, no utf
    Linkstation HG, freelink 1.1 (debian sarge), no utf

I use the NSLU2/unslung the most, as it’s the slowest machine I have and shows up memory leaks and slowdowns first. Like the canary in the coal mine.

As a nas, I like the linkstation the most.

Dave.B
    Participant

I have a NSLU2 running uNSLUng 5.5, still with the under-clocking resistor in place, although I have no complaints at all.
    TBH – I have no idea whether I have UTF support or not. I didn’t install anything extra, so I guess not?

CCRDude
    Participant

First NAS was a Buffalo TeraStation, with a standard firmware just hacked (to get ssh access through Dropbear and to thus be able install Firefly). Tended to crash quite often though, and imho the Uboot loader wasn’t available back then and the box was needed for something else (may try Debian on the same machine at some later point).

Then I got myself a Buffalo Kurobox just to be a music NAS. Thanks to Debian, UTF-8 isn’t a problem (just had to set the locale). Speed is just fine (a bit slow for Slimserver, but very fast for Firefly).

mas
    Participant

1) NSLU Linksys,de-underclocked
    2) unslung 6.7
    3) CP850, I hope. At least thats setup under the admin. There are some gotchas with names though

CCRDude
    Participant

Codepage 850 is not Unicode, far from it πŸ˜‰

nivlacckw
    Participant

As for myself

1)NSLU2
    2)Debian/NSLU2 (etch)
    3)utf8 enabled (thanks to debian πŸ™‚ )

mas
    Participant

I am not aware that there is any UTF for unslung yet so guess CP850 is the best I can get so far. Dont feel like reinstalling everything just to take a debonara.

nivlacckw
    Participant

@mas wrote:

I am not aware that there is any UTF for unslung yet so guess CP850 is the best I can get so far. Dont feel like reinstalling everything just to take a debonara.

To be frank, utf-8(unicode) is only for people who need to deal with different langs. πŸ˜‰

bartik

1) Synology DS106
    2) debian (chrooted)
    3) utf8

mas
    Participant

Thus for all non-US people right?

Yeah I have some strange filenames but cant help it as of now.

davy_gravy
    Participant

Linkstation HG running Debian/Freelink, custom partition (using the Kurobox method of installation), kernel 2.6.19.1 (with 2.4.33.3 in flashrom), uBoot, JFS filesystem for hda3 (share/data partition), Samba for filesharing in a mostly-Mac network.

running Firefly svn-1463 w/ a Roku M1001

fizze
    Participant

@mas wrote:

Thus for all non-US people right?

Yeah I have some strange filenames but cant help it as of now.

Not quite. You can use different codepages so the special chars will display right. UTF-8 really is just very nice for fellas with real special languages – kanji, chinese, thai, etc. πŸ˜‰ (and maybe for mac users ;))

CCRDude
    Participant

But you can’t mix different codespages in one and the same file system πŸ˜‰
    E.g. if you listen to metal, you’ll have a bunch of scandinavian bands and titles there even if you live in the U.S.. Now add one or two polish Progressive Rock bands, and you’re there with two totally different codepages… if you want correct titles in filenames for both, you need UTF-8.

xaviour
    Participant

@nivlacckw wrote:

Hi,

1. Model
    2. Firmware

I have (and use):

Linksys NSLU2, OpenSlug 3.10, no utf
    Iomega Storcenter 250, OpenProtium 1.1, no utf

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.