What NAS do you use for firefly(mt-daapd)

FireFly Media Server Firefly Media Server Forums Firefly Media Server General Discussion What NAS do you use for firefly(mt-daapd)

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    nivlacckw
    Participant

Hi,

What NAS do you use for firefly? I would like to take a survey on the following:

1. Model
    2. Firmware
    3. Unicode(UTF) file support

This should result a buyer’s guide on NAS for running firefly.

rpedde
    Participant

@nivlacckw wrote:

Hi,

What NAS do you use for firefly? I would like to take a survey on the following:

1. Model
    2. Firmware
    3. Unicode(UTF) file support

This should result a buyer’s guide on NAS for running firefly.

I have (and use):

Linksys NLSU2, unslung 5.x (?), no utf
    Linksys NLSU2, debonaras (debian sarge), no utf
    Maxtor MSS II+, openmss 2.6.2 rc2, no utf
    Linkstation HG, freelink 1.1 (debian sarge), no utf

I use the NSLU2/unslung the most, as it’s the slowest machine I have and shows up memory leaks and slowdowns first. Like the canary in the coal mine.

As a nas, I like the linkstation the most.

Dave.B
    Participant

I have a NSLU2 running uNSLUng 5.5, still with the under-clocking resistor in place, although I have no complaints at all.
    TBH – I have no idea whether I have UTF support or not. I didn’t install anything extra, so I guess not?

CCRDude
    Participant

First NAS was a Buffalo TeraStation, with a standard firmware just hacked (to get ssh access through Dropbear and to thus be able install Firefly). Tended to crash quite often though, and imho the Uboot loader wasn’t available back then and the box was needed for something else (may try Debian on the same machine at some later point).

Then I got myself a Buffalo Kurobox just to be a music NAS. Thanks to Debian, UTF-8 isn’t a problem (just had to set the locale). Speed is just fine (a bit slow for Slimserver, but very fast for Firefly).

mas
    Participant

1) NSLU Linksys,de-underclocked
    2) unslung 6.7
    3) CP850, I hope. At least thats setup under the admin. There are some gotchas with names though

CCRDude
    Participant

Codepage 850 is not Unicode, far from it ๐Ÿ˜‰

nivlacckw
    Participant

As for myself

1)NSLU2
    2)Debian/NSLU2 (etch)
    3)utf8 enabled (thanks to debian ๐Ÿ™‚ )

mas
    Participant

I am not aware that there is any UTF for unslung yet so guess CP850 is the best I can get so far. Dont feel like reinstalling everything just to take a debonara.

nivlacckw
    Participant

@mas wrote:

I am not aware that there is any UTF for unslung yet so guess CP850 is the best I can get so far. Dont feel like reinstalling everything just to take a debonara.

To be frank, utf-8(unicode) is only for people who need to deal with different langs. ๐Ÿ˜‰

bartik

1) Synology DS106
    2) debian (chrooted)
    3) utf8

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 20 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.