You are here: Home » Topic » Western Digital Netcenter

Western Digital Netcenter

This topic contains 22 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  fizze 10 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #1358

    natm

    Help

    I have a WD Netcenter, which I managed to get for a bargain price. I hoped to use as it NAS streaming audio files to my Soundbridge but appear to have run into a dead end in terms of finding the right set up to get it working.

    Can anyone give any help or advice as to what I need to to do to get the thing working as a media server without a PC running. I think that this is my last chance before I get sell up and start again.

    All help gratefully recieved

    Nat

    #10505

    rpedde
    Participant

    @natm wrote:

    Help

    I have a WD Netcenter, which I managed to get for a bargain price. I hoped to use as it NAS streaming audio files to my Soundbridge but appear to have run into a dead end in terms of finding the right set up to get it working.

    Can anyone give any help or advice as to what I need to to do to get the thing working as a media server without a PC running. I think that this is my last chance before I get sell up and start again.

    All help gratefully recieved

    Nat

    The key for any nas is to look for something that has replacement firmware. Particularly repacement firmware that can run unslung optware. There are lots of platforms that do, and those are probably easiest to modify to do interesting things with.

    I’m sure that eventually the WD will get hack to run optware, but it’s a waiting game until someone with the ability and desire gets one to hack on. Might take a few months. If you are willing to wait, I think eventually it will be there.

    If you don’t want to wait, then you’ll want to look at other avenues for a nas/media server. Someone asked the same question on this thread and I give my opinion.

    Generally, though, I think the NSLU2 is probably the best device around in terms of ease of hacking, thorough documentation, and ability to do interesting stuff.

    For what it’s worth.

    — Ron

    #10506

    scousethemoose
    Participant

    Its good to see someone is interested in using firefly on the Netcenter. Has anyone had any further success?

    I’ve managed to install twonkyvision on my 160gb using a Maxtor Shared Storage package and a modified firmware.

    http://www.brennwertheizung24.de/wdncforum/index.php?mode=viewthread&forum_id=13&thread=11&sid=632732b52a2027660eee894b7f9cba0c

    I then stumbled accross this tutorial which had twonkyvision and firely both installed on the same NAS.

    http://www.k0lee.com/hpmediavault/iTunes/index-old.html

    So now for my question, since the key to getting this to work is a modified firmware and I have been able to install twonkyvision is it possible to install firefly using the Firefly Maxtor Shared Storage Package?

    If it is possible can someone advise me of the appropriate modifications in order to achieve a successful install.

    Thanks.

    #10507

    scousethemoose
    Participant

    Ok, so I thought I’d follow the instructions for the MSS setup, using this guide.

    http://wiki.fireflymediaserver.org/MSS_Installation

    I figured since my twonkyvision install is the MSS version, I might have some success using this guide. Being a complete novice with linux, 2 days and counting I have gotten so far using this guide.

    # echo “src nslu2 http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/optware/mss/cross/unstable” > /opt/etc/ipkg.conf
    # echo “src firefly http://ipkg.fireflymediaserver.org/mipsel” >> /opt/etc/ipkg.conf
    # ipkg update
    # ipkg install mt-daapd
    # ipkg install mss-libhelper
    # ipkg install mss-ld-so

    I am able to execute the first two commands successfully. I have double checked the ipkg.conf and they appear.

    The issue arises when I perform the ipkg update command, I am receiving the following message.

    # ipkg: not found

    Does anyone know what is causing this? Thanks

    #10508

    rpedde
    Participant

    @scousethemoose wrote:

    Ok, so I thought I’d follow the instructions for the MSS setup, using this guide.

    http://wiki.fireflymediaserver.org/MSS_Installation

    I figured since my twonkyvision install is the MSS version, I might have some success using this guide. Being a complete novice with linux, 2 days and counting I have gotten so far using this guide.

    # echo “src nslu2 http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/optware/mss/cross/unstable” > /opt/etc/ipkg.conf
    # echo “src firefly http://ipkg.fireflymediaserver.org/mipsel” >> /opt/etc/ipkg.conf
    # ipkg update
    # ipkg install mt-daapd
    # ipkg install mss-libhelper
    # ipkg install mss-ld-so

    I am able to execute the first two commands successfully. I have double checked the ipkg.conf and they appear.

    The issue arises when I perform the ipkg update command, I am receiving the following message.

    # ipkg: not found

    Does anyone know what is causing this? Thanks

    I think perhaps it doesn’t have the unslung system. If you can’t find a version of unslung for the WD, then you might be okay to just untar the ipkg (rename it to .tar.gz and extract the files with winzip or some other archiver), and copying the files to the places they exist on the drive.

    You’ll need to ignore the CONTROL directory, as that has presetup scripts, but the actual binary files should be in the opt directory. Just put them in the same place and run it with /opt/sbin/mt-daapd -c /opt/etc/mt-daapd/mt-daapd.conf (if that’s where the config file is — I think it is), and see where that gets you.

    — Ron

    #10509

    scousethemoose
    Participant

    Hi Ron

    Thank-you for you advice. I have done as you suggested, I downloaded
    mt-daapd_svn-1586-1_mipsel.ipk and followed your instructions to extract the opt directory files.

    The directory structure of my WD is as follows

    /shares/Main/__opt/

    Which has a listing of:

    > bin
    > etc
    > lib
    > opt

    I placed the files in the data tar into the opt directory and ran

    /opt/sbin/mt-daapd -c /opt/etc/mt-daapd/mt-daapd.conf

    This gave me the following /opt/sbin/mt-daapd: not found.

    I decided to move these files outside the opt directory up a level to __opt, I had better results with this.

    This gave me the following /opt/sbin/mt-daapd: cannot execute.

    Are there any additional changes I may have to make to get this to work?

    Thanks

    #10510

    sonichouse
    Participant

    Sounds like you need to mark the mt-daapd binary as executable.

    try the following

    chmod 755 mt-daapd

    or

    chmod +x mt-daapd
    #10511

    scousethemoose
    Participant

    Thanks sonichouse

    I tried as you suggested and was able to get further. Unfortunately I’ve hit another brick wall.

    # /opt/sbin/mt-daapd -c /opt/etc/mt-daapd/mt-daapd.conf

    When I execute the above command the following occurs.

    /opt/sbin/mt-daapd: error while loading shared libraries: cannot open open shared object file: cannot load shared object file: No such file or directory.

    Any thoughts?

    #10512

    rpedde
    Participant

    @scousethemoose wrote:

    Thanks sonichouse

    I tried as you suggested and was able to get further. Unfortunately I’ve hit another brick wall.

    # /opt/sbin/mt-daapd -c /opt/etc/mt-daapd/mt-daapd.conf

    When I execute the above command the following occurs.

    /opt/sbin/mt-daapd: error while loading shared libraries: cannot open open shared object file: cannot load shared object file: No such file or directory.

    Any thoughts?

    You are probably missing the libraries it needs. There will be a bunch of them, and I’m not sure how to get them all without unslung.

    Ideally, someone would build an unslung bootstrap for the netcenter.

    #10513

    scousethemoose
    Participant

    Hi Ron

    Thanks again for your input.

    Is the creation of an unslung bootstrap something a novice like myself could do provided I could find a rough enough guide or guides to follow.

    I don’t mind investing the time to get it done or having to learn new things; or will I have to resign myself to the fact that I’ll have to wait for someone with better experience to do one for the netcenter.

    #10514

    rpedde
    Participant

    @scousethemoose wrote:

    Hi Ron

    Thanks again for your input.

    Is the creation of an unslung bootstrap something a novice like myself could do provided I could find a rough enough guide or guides to follow.

    I don’t mind investing the time to get it done or having to learn new things; or will I have to resign myself to the fact that I’ll have to wait for someone with better experience to do one for the netcenter.

    Its fairly ugly. I imagine it will get done by someone fairly soon, though, as everyone wants unslung. 🙂

    #10515

    scousethemoose
    Participant

    Hi Ron

    I have good news, I have managed to successfully install firefly and its associated packages, after repeated persistence. 🙂

    The share shows up in itunes however two issues now remain, but I have a feeling they are related.

    First Issue:
    I cannot access the admin via 192.168.1.5:3689

    Second Issue:
    When I try to connect to the share via itunes I get cannot access error, check firewall settings etc..

    Can you suggest a possible fix I presume I may have to alter my firewall/router firewall rules, cheers.

    #10516

    scousethemoose
    Participant

    It seems to be working ok now not perfect though, a restart of the NAS and my PC seemed to resolve things.

    I can access the admin from my pc now but it seems to still be having issues, I can click around for about a minute or two looking at the settings etc before I get a page cannot be displayed. Something seems to be stopping the mt-daapd process.

    I reviewed the processes running using busybox it vanishes from the list. The only way I can then get the server running again is to manually go back in the browser to the admin main page and stop the server there then reload from telnet.

    It seems to have an uptime of 3 minutes, 29 seconds.

    The version I have installed is svn-1634.

    <<<>>>

    I have now managed to keep the server up for about an hour and a half. It remained running until I actually tried to do something with the admin, and then it just died.

    It also died when I tried to access via Itunes, it just comes up with a cannot access error.

    I’ll keep trying 🙂

    #10517

    scousethemoose
    Participant

    Right, I’m still playing around and have made some minor progress. I can get Firefly to scan my drive but it seems to fail once it reaches 3085, and wont go any further.

    I have in total 3162 songs all in .m4a format.

    It seems the server stops running when I try to perform the scan or when I try to access the share from itunes itself.

    Here is my log.

    2007-08-18 23:49:06 (00000400): Firefly Version svn-1634: Starting with debuglevel 2
    2007-08-18 23:49:06 (00000400): Plugin loaded: rsp/svn-1634
    2007-08-18 23:49:06 (00000400): Plugin loaded: ssc-script/svn-1634
    2007-08-18 23:49:06 (00000400): Plugin loaded: daap/svn-1634
    2007-08-18 23:49:06 (00000400): Starting rendezvous daemon
    2007-08-18 23:49:06 (00000400): Starting signal handler
    2007-08-18 23:49:07 (00000400): Initializing database
    2007-08-18 23:49:09 (00000400): Starting web server from /shares/Main/__opt/share/mt-daapd/admin-root on port 3689
    2007-08-18 23:49:09 (00000400): Registering rendezvous names
    2007-08-18 23:49:09 (00000400): Serving 3085 songs. Startup complete in 3 seconds
    2007-08-18 23:49:09 (00000400): Rescanning database
    2007-08-18 23:49:09 (00000400): opendir: No such file or directory
    2007-08-18 23:49:09 (00000400): Starting playlist scan
    2007-08-18 23:49:12 (00000400): Updating playlists
    2007-08-18 23:49:12 (00000400): Error rescanning… bad path?
    2007-08-18 23:49:12 (00000400): Scanned 0 songs (was 3085) in 3 seconds
    2007-08-18 23:50:44 (00000803): Thread 0: Entering ws_returnerror (302: Moved)
    2007-08-18 23:51:03 (00000400): Rendezvous socket closed (daap server crashed?) Aborting.

    It’d be great if someone else is willing to try putting Firefly on their netcenter, I’ll post my instructions so far for anyone willing just let me know. 🙂

    #10518

    rpedde
    Participant

    @scousethemoose wrote:

    Right, I’m still playing around and have made some minor progress. I can get Firefly to scan my drive but it seems to fail once it reaches 3085, and wont go any further.

    Might be worth stepping back to 1589, as the notes for the latest nightly say “THIS DOES NOT WORK”.

    🙂

    — Ron

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.