Weird tag problem for Genre in mt-daapd 0.2.4

FireFly Media Server Firefly Media Server Forums Firefly Media Server General Discussion Weird tag problem for Genre in mt-daapd 0.2.4

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    g0pkh
    Participant

Hi.

I am running mt-daapd version 0.2.4 on one of my NSLU2’s, which I use as my main music server. And have noticed a strange inconsistency problem with the tag information containing the GENRE.

I have setup all my music using itunes on my main pc, and then simply syncronise all the files from the PC to the slug,that way I can be sure that all files are identical.

However,when browsing the mt-daapd library from within itunes, Iget a different genre than that which I get when browsing the same file with the itunes library.

For example.

I have an album for 60’s Music
    All the tracks in this album have been tagged within itunes to show the genre “60’s Music”.
    When I view the same album from the slug however, the genre shows “Top 40” which is completely wrong, and I have no idea where this is coming from.
    When I open the file in a PC Tag utility, and of course in itunes is it shown correctly as “60’s Music”, but in itunes from the mt-daapd library and on my Roku SB’s it is shown as “Top 40” WTF. 😕

I have copied the actual files from the itunes music folder to the slug, so I know the files are identical, why then are the genres incorrect ?

Copying the files to another slug running a fairly late version of the firefly server does not however exhibit this problem.

However I would rather wait for a stable release version of firefly before installing it on my main “mt-daapd” slug.

Is there anything I can do in the meantime to correct this inconsistency in tags ?

Thanks

Pete

rpedde
    Participant

@g0pkh wrote:

Copying the files to another slug running a fairly late version of the firefly server does not however exhibit this problem.

However I would rather wait for a stable release version of firefly before installing it on my main “mt-daapd” slug.

Is there anything I can do in the meantime to correct this inconsistency in tags ?

If you have patch-fu, the fix for it is here.

Fundamentally, the problem is that:

1. I was lazy
    2. The genre starts with a number

If it didn’t start with a number, then it would be okay. Generally, genres can be either a number, which is a reference to the “standard” winamp list of genres, or it can be a string. So if the genre is a numeric string, it interprets it as a winamp genre number. Winamp genre #60 is (you guessed it) Top 40.

You could call it “Music from the 60’s”, or use a non-numeric lead character to work around it. Lame, but there you go.

g0pkh
    Participant

Thanks for your reply Ron

What you said makes perfect sense, I don’t have a clue about patch-fu.
    so I think I will just wait for the first stable firefly release, as i know it is ok there.

As long as I know that it is a “feature” of mt-daapd 🙂 , then no problems.

Just thought I was going mad.

Appologies if this has been discussed before, but I only just noticed it.

Pete

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.