You are here: Home » Topic » Way To Share Music Across Subnets Without Port Forwarding?

Way To Share Music Across Subnets Without Port Forwarding?

FireFly Media Server (formerly mt-daapd) Firefly Media Server Forums Firefly Media Server General Discussion Way To Share Music Across Subnets Without Port Forwarding?

This topic contains 2 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  rpedde 10 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

FireflyManiac

Hey,

I’m on a college campus, and I was wondering if it was possible to access a DAAP share across subnets WITHOUT port forwarding. I’ve tried EVERYTHING! RendezvousProxy lets me see the server, but not connect if I’m on a separate subnet. The way my campus network is organized is that every ten or so people are on a different subnet. Am I missing something? I desperately want to get this to work. PLEASE HELP! Thanks a lot!

Jon

FireflyManiac

Anyone?

rpedde
    Participant

@FireflyManiac wrote:

Anyone?

Oh, sorry.

I saw this, and didn’t answer it right away, and so it got unflagged.

Short answer is no way. Your resnet is probably hooked up with a 4500 or something, and without configuring that switch for multicast, there isn’t anything you can do on your end.

Work study program in the IT department, maybe, but failing that… 🙂

As far as RendezvousProxy goes, it’s worked okay for me. Remembering of course that when you set it up, you must set it up for the host on the *other* network.

For example, if I’m at 192.168.2.15, and my friend is at 192.168.15.22, using port 3689, then I’d set up rendezvous proxy like this:

ip address: 192.168.15.22
    port: 3689
    host label: friend
    service name: friend’s itunes
    service type: _daap._tcp

That’s always worked okay for me.

— Ron

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.