Way To Share Music Across Subnets Without Port Forwarding?

FireFly Media Server Firefly Media Server Forums Firefly Media Server General Discussion Way To Share Music Across Subnets Without Port Forwarding?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    FireflyManiac

Hey,

I’m on a college campus, and I was wondering if it was possible to access a DAAP share across subnets WITHOUT port forwarding. I’ve tried EVERYTHING! RendezvousProxy lets me see the server, but not connect if I’m on a separate subnet. The way my campus network is organized is that every ten or so people are on a different subnet. Am I missing something? I desperately want to get this to work. PLEASE HELP! Thanks a lot!

Jon

FireflyManiac

Anyone?

rpedde
    Participant

@FireflyManiac wrote:

Anyone?

Oh, sorry.

I saw this, and didn’t answer it right away, and so it got unflagged.

Short answer is no way. Your resnet is probably hooked up with a 4500 or something, and without configuring that switch for multicast, there isn’t anything you can do on your end.

Work study program in the IT department, maybe, but failing that… 🙂

As far as RendezvousProxy goes, it’s worked okay for me. Remembering of course that when you set it up, you must set it up for the host on the *other* network.

For example, if I’m at 192.168.2.15, and my friend is at 192.168.15.22, using port 3689, then I’d set up rendezvous proxy like this:

ip address: 192.168.15.22
    port: 3689
    host label: friend
    service name: friend’s itunes
    service type: _daap._tcp

That’s always worked okay for me.

— Ron

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.