Volume not being picked up by iTunes

FireFly Media Server Firefly Media Server Forums Firefly Media Server Setup Issues Volume not being picked up by iTunes

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    kellyharding
    Participant

Getting a bit fed up with jumps in volume between songs, I imported all of the songs over the network to iTunes and let it do the artwork, gapless playback and volume stuff. It did all that.

But, it doesn’t seem to pick it up from the share from mt-daapd?

Am I missing something here?

(using svn-1586)

kellyharding
    Participant

Never mind. Figured it out. Did a full db scan and reconnected.

What was confusing me was iTunes was saying ‘Not Available’ for the volume tag when I was looking at ‘Get Info’ on a particular song. But finds the volume when a song is played.

rpedde
    Participant

@kellyharding wrote:

Never mind. Figured it out. Did a full db scan and reconnected.

What was confusing me was iTunes was saying ‘Not Available’ for the volume tag when I was looking at ‘Get Info’ on a particular song. But finds the volume when a song is played.

That’s because I don’t support the volume tag, so until iTunes gets a chance to actually see the volume tag (by streaming the song), it doesn’t know what it is.

At some point I’ll add that — I have replaygain and iTunes volume conversion formulas so I’ll probably implement that at some point.

— Ron

kellyharding
    Participant

@rpedde wrote:

That’s because I don’t support the volume tag, so until iTunes gets a chance to actually see the volume tag (by streaming the song), it doesn’t know what it is.

At some point I’ll add that — I have replaygain and iTunes volume conversion formulas so I’ll probably implement that at some point.

— Ron

Is it possible for the server to do it?

i.e, you do a scan to find newly added content, it finds it, adds to db, runs reply gain, etc? (maybe even gapless? artwork?)

Is that possible?

Kelly

rpedde
    Participant

@kellyharding wrote:

@rpedde wrote:

— Ron

Is it possible for the server to do it?

i.e, you do a scan to find newly added content, it finds it, adds to db, runs reply gain, etc? (maybe even gapless? artwork?)

Is that possible?

Kelly

Yeah, but it’s not something I’d do at the server level. I’d set up a cron job to do replaygains on incoming music separate from the server.

A good workflow might be to throw all new music in an incoming directory and have a cron job replaygain it, and move it into the daap music directory.

that is, I think it should be be done outside the server, IAW the “do one thing well” philosophy.

– Ron

kellyharding
    Participant

@rpedde wrote:

Yeah, but it’s not something I’d do at the server level. I’d set up a cron job to do replaygains on incoming music separate from the server.

A good workflow might be to throw all new music in an incoming directory and have a cron job replaygain it, and move it into the daap music directory.

that is, I think it should be be done outside the server, IAW the “do one thing well” philosophy.

– Ron

Yes, that does make sense. Does the web admin interface ‘Start Scan’ just fire off a script anyhow?

Kelly

rpedde
    Participant

@kellyharding wrote:

@rpedde wrote:

– Ron

Hmm… right now it doesn’t, but when the much-promised-but-never-delivered scripting plugin gets done, then I can emit a “pre-scan event” to the scripting interface to let it run stuff first.

Also, I hope to add an event before the file gets added to the db, so stuff could be done to a file then.

— Ron

kellyharding
    Participant

@rpedde wrote:

Hmm… right now it doesn’t, but when the much-promised-but-never-delivered scripting plugin gets done, then I can emit a “pre-scan event” to the scripting interface to let it run stuff first.

Also, I hope to add an event before the file gets added to the db, so stuff could be done to a file then.

— Ron

That would make for a very useful set up I feel.

I will try to investigate setting up a suitable cron job and see how it fairs (my script-fu isn’t great sadly).

If all else fails dumping it over the network into iTunes does the work, but its slow and a bit cumbersome getting it to look through over 14k files…

Kelly

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The forum ‘Setup Issues’ is closed to new topics and replies.