Version Info, Reg Info, Payment? Info

FireFly Media Server Firefly Media Server Forums Firefly Media Server Setup Issues Version Info, Reg Info, Payment? Info

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    UKChris

Hi

Firstly thanks for an excellent solution for my musical entertainment.

I am a complete novice and installed uNSLUng and mt-daapd by following simple instructions.

I now have a few questions that I cannot find answers for …

How is it possible to find our what version of mt-daapd is installed and running?

Should I register the software / myself for these forums?

How do I make a financial contribution for this software?

Tia

Chris

velociped
    Participant

Chris,

In answer to your queries…sequentially.

1) The easiest means of determining the installed version of the daemon is through the web admin pages. It is listed in the upper right-hand corner; just below the mt-daapd logo.

2) Registration of the software, per se, is not required. It is open source and is distributed under the GPL. There is some benefit in registering here, at the web site, but it is by no means a requirement. Such is at the discretion of the individual.

3) Ron is best suited to respond to your third question. As chief architect and primary developer, he is the ultimate arbiter in that respect. At present there is no provision for voluntary, financial support.

Herman

rpedde
    Participant

With regard to your last question, that’s a hard one. This isn’t the first time it’s come up, so I guess it’s going to continue to do so.

Generally, I don’t like the idea of accepting donations for several reasons, the biggest being that as a GPL program, it benefits from the contributions of many people. Not just the dozens of people who sent in code, but the code it builds on and the tools used to compile it.

How do I split compensation with Herman, who admins this web site? Or Anders, who’s working on the web-based playlist editor? Or Paul and Hiren who did the dynamic cover art stuff? Or Timo, who added the transcoding support? Or any of the other people who have helped?

That said, I *have* incurred real costs associated with this. My hosting costs and domain registration costs are around $500, and although others have contributed time and effort to the project, I’m the only one that has had to bear the actual costs (as measured in dollars and cents) associated with the project.

So. I’ve turned on the “contribute” button on sourceforge. You can get to it here: http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/mt-daapd.

I will leave it on so long as:

1. Contributions don’t exceed my out-of-pocket expenses
    2. I make it clear this is to offset my real expenses, not pay me for my time
    3. Nobody that has contributed time or effort to this project has any objections

I think that represents a fair balance. I’m not exploiting other peoples work for my profit, but I don’t have to be a martyr either.

I think this seems reasonable, but I’d welcome comments.

— Ron

UKChris

Thanks for the info. How do I get to the web admin of mt-daapd? (better still, where can I look to find out for myself?)
    Tia
    Chris

UKChris

Cancel that – I’ve found some previous reference. Sorry.

rpedde
    Participant

lol… that was an easy one. 🙂

If you are running a mac, you’ll notice it shows up in your rendezvous bookmarks. 🙂

If I could find a succinct reference for upnp, I’d make it show up in upnp also, which would make it appear in network neighborhood on xp. I think it’s just a simple broadcast udp packet, but I can’t find a concise reference for just the discover stuff. All I can find is giant API frameworks for all of upnp. Which is more than I want.

Anybody know offhand? It would be nice to add…

— Ron

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘Setup Issues’ is closed to new topics and replies.