UTF-8 console editor

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    CCRDude
    Participant

I’m finally in the situation where I have to adjust the playlists to include german umlauts. The problem is, I don’t know how to enter them over a console. Even though my ssh session is using UTF8, entering umlauts in vi/vim,nano or emacs doesn’t result in the correct characters (emacs even crashes when typing them).

My workaround is a VNC session to the Linux machine and using a graphical editor to edit the mt-daapd.playlist file, but of course that’s not the most perfect solution, as I’m more comfortable on the console.

Does anyone know a utf8 enabled console editor, working on RedHat EL 4? Except mined, which seems to be Suse only :rolleyes: (even the source has a bunch of funny dependencies)

rpedde
    Participant

Hrm… I guess my 8859-1-ness is showing, because I don’t even know how to enter umlauts. ๐Ÿ™‚

CCRDude
    Participant

@rpedde: well, I guess you would need a german keyboard for umlauts (or any other foreign keyboard for other non standard keys) :laugh: . They’ve got their own keys on those. And they work with bash and sh, for example, but not inside vi/vim, nano, emacs (tested pico by now as well)…

@Anders: good idea, but the point is that emacs crashes (simply hangs) when I enter any umlaut (contrary to the others which will simply paste a bunch of invalid characters). so I won’t even get to the point where I create any changes to save ๐Ÿ˜‰

I played around some more though. If I save UTF-8 with one of the graphical editors, vim and nano show the file correctly. They simply do not allow entering new umlauts (even though the ssh shell is using utf-8 and it works on the shells I tried). So I guess as a workaround I can once type in all special characters I need, then copy’n’paste them to the correct place. Isn’t perfect, but I guess will do until we get a mt-daapd version with web interface playlist editing ๐Ÿ˜‰

PS: Guess I should register my name here, as much as I write ๐Ÿ˜‰

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.