Using Firefly on Windows Small Business Server 2003

FireFly Media Server Firefly Media Server Forums Firefly Media Server General Discussion Using Firefly on Windows Small Business Server 2003

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

I’ve sucessfully set up Firefly on our server and it works fine.

On the server we have four libraries in the same folder (one for each person in the house).

Whn you open iTunes on any PC you see all the music combined from all four libraries. This is fine except that the list of music is now very long.

Can anyone help me:-

– Set up the four libraries to show separately in Itunes?
    – Allow each user make their own playlists/libraries?

Thanks a million.

sonichouse
    Participant

You need to put each music collection in a seperate folder per user.

You then need to run four instances of firefly, with each instance pointing to the base folder for that user, and on seperate ports.

So you create
    musicFolder1, musicFolder2, musicFolder3 and musicFolder4.

Instance1 of firefly reads from musicFolder1 etc…

the itunes xml files for each user can then be maintained in the respective folders.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks a lot for that. How much drain will four instances of firefly put on the server resources and speed?

Chris

sonichouse
    Participant

@chenderson1965 wrote:

Thanks a lot for that. How much drain will four instances of firefly put on the server resources and speed?

No idea, why not configure and start two, and monitor usage.

The load is highest when scanning, so I set scan interval to 0, and force a manual scan when I add new files.

/Steve

S80_UK
    Participant

@chenderson1965 wrote:

Chris

I currently have four instances of Firefly running on a Via EPIA ML6000 board (processor around 533MHz when idle). The CPU loading when not streaming is less than 5%. It goes up when streaming and transcoding of course. When two of the instances are simultaneously transcoding and streaming different content to two Soundbridges the CPU load figure stays in the range 35% to 50% (so only equating to 100% of a 250MHz PC). If I speed up the CPU then the loading drops roughly proportionately. Hope this helps

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.