Unslinging help

Viewing 6 posts - 11 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    fizze
    Participant

I dont have SMB running on my slug, coz it tends to be very unstable when I access directories with a lot of files.
    I preffer ssh or ftp anyway.

Other than that, my slug is rather stable. mt-daapd doesnt cause any problems, the startup on boot fails, though. My boot script used to work with older svn versions, donno if it has to do with my grown mp3 library, transcoding, or other mt-daapd changes.
    The slug didnt change during all that.

Strangely enough, when I ssh into the slug, kill -9 all mt-daapd zombies and run the init script, it boots up fine.

What tremendously helped my NTFS performance was loading the right charset. Being from Austria I have a codepage 850 NTFS-formatted drive.
    doing this: http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Unslung/UnslungLanguageSupport
    bumped performance up a LOT.

Sherlock

@fizze wrote:

So just create 1 small ext2 partition, and one large ext3 partition. one also needs a small swap partition, which should really be dactivated and the .ext3flash file touched.

As I mentioned above, the documentation for unslinging to a memory stick left a lot to be desired. I was not very sure if I did the ‘Touch /.EXT3FLASH’ step properly and I don’t remember anything about deactivating the swap partition on the memory stick. Can you help me understand this process better?

fizze
    Participant

do a

cat /proc/meminfo

or simply

meminfo

then you should see wether swap is active or not.
    you could also check your fstab for any swap entries.

I created the .ext3flash file in /share/flash/conf and /share/flash/data.

Charly86
    Participant

fizze,

Ok now I agree and I understand you don’t have SMB. SMB consume ressources. That’s why you have no pb. I’ll try with FTP. With a drive mapped to slug FTP onto my Windows 2003 Servers.

You kill the process into diversion script ?

Anyway, I tried Openslug, my god, very stable and quick. But can’t install compiled nightlies on it 😥

Charly86
    Participant

Sherlock

you just need to do a (case sensitive)

touch ./ext3flash

this prevent swap on flash and set partition with noatime flag to save flash write

But sure you must create a swap partition on external drive (1go) and activate it by
    mkswap /dev/sdb2 (where 2 is partition number)

after, create a script in /unslung (rc.1 for example) containing

# rc.1 (activ swap if present on external drive)
    #!/bin/sh
    /sbin/swapon /dev/sdb2
    return 1

install procps top command by
    ipkg install procps

to see swap size and use you can use (as said by fizze)
    cat /proc/swaps
    cat /proc/meminfo
    free

hope that’s help you

fizze
    Participant

well atm I just use plain winscp to copy the files, so its even SCP 😉
    its slow, but I only add one a couple of tunes every once in a while, so its manageable.

ftp daemon is running too, i think.

Yes, the reason why OpenSlug is so much faster is that its not compatible with the Linksys OS. uNSLUng however, is 😉

And, yes, SMB is a resource hog. if you just want to copy some files onto the slug (likewise, music) ftp is a lot more suited than SMB.
    SMB is horribly, horribly bloated.

Even plain windows 2K, or XP should be able to bind an FTP folder to the desktop via IEs favorites, imho. So that would work fine too.

If you desperatly want to have SMB, just ffs dont share any folders with more than 100 files and you should be fine.

Viewing 6 posts - 11 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • The forum ‘Setup Issues’ is closed to new topics and replies.