Ubuntu server, mac client, web player works…but no itunes

FireFly Media Server Firefly Media Server Forums Firefly Media Server Setup Issues Ubuntu server, mac client, web player works…but no itunes

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Hey,

Ok, so I’ve looked and looked all over and read more posts then I care to admit about this issue, but still can’t find a resolution. Here is the deal. I’ve got an ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Desktop edition set up and configured as the “Firefly server”. As far as I can tell that is set up correctly. I CAN access it via the ‘http://ip_of_the_server:3689’ and can even play everything in the library using FirePlay. I have the firewall on the server set to allow connections for all ports (in and out) that firefly needs, but even when I run without the firewall I run into the same issue. The problem is that iTunes does not see my shared library on the server. No matter what I do or change, it will not display.

The weird thing is that immedeatly after I installed everything according to these two how-tos:

http://www.ubuntugeek.com/howto-setup-itunes-compatible-media-server-in-ubuntu.html

http://dotnet.org.za/matt/pages/48417.aspx

I was able to see and access my server. However, after putting all my music on it I can’t. I’ve been checking logs and changing settings, but still no dice. I don’t see any particular issues in the log beyond what everyone else sees (warnings about avahi, bonjour not saying its working on the web panel, etc), and still cant see it.

I’m running a MacBookPro with Leopard 10.5.3 on wireless and can’t see the iTunes share no matter what do. Wired, the issue remains. Access to web admin and player, but no iTunes shared access. If I have another MacBookPro connect to my wireless network with a shared library I can see them, so I don’t think its a wireless issue with multicast.

I’ve checked my router and here is no setting to allow or disallow multicast traffic (or IGMP). I am using NAT though, and supposably multicast traffic (at least according to my router’s manual) is not compatible with NAT. I have options on my router for port forwarding and port triggering…though none of that has been configured as of now.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

fizze
    Participant

If you share your iTunes stuff on either MAcBook, can you see it on the other?

I guess this is a security issue on the one MacBook. I’ve seen it before, those firewall settings can be very tricky.

stretch
    Participant

Have you done this check?

@Firefly Wiki wrote:

On unix, check that you don’t have multiple mDNS daemons running. Sometimes, multiple mDNS responders, like the one built in to Firefly conflict with the ones you may already have installed (Apple’s implmentation, Howl, or Avahi). If you already have an mDNS responder, start mt-daapd with the “-m” argument to disable the internal mDNS daemon and edit the configuration for your existing mDNS daemon to advertise _daap._tcp on 3689 (or whatever port you are using) and _rsp._tcp on the same port.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hey,

I have not done that check yet. Yea…something new to try! Can you give me any more info on how to do this?

Thanks!

Anonymous
    Inactive

Bump. I took a break form this but am back and want to get it working now. Can you help?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘Setup Issues’ is closed to new topics and replies.