Ubuntu Dapper: Browser Not Finding Firefly

FireFly Media Server Firefly Media Server Forums Firefly Media Server Setup Issues Ubuntu Dapper: Browser Not Finding Firefly

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Hello,
    Have installed mt-daapd 0.2.4 on Dapper Drake. Have confirmed that it is running by mt-daapd start, mt-daapd stop and mt-daapd restart, however when attempting to load the web site [http://localhost:3689], the browser [Firefox, current Dapper version] hangs … no messages, no nothing, just keeps the loading dial spinning. The server also does not appear on my Soundbridge.

I’ve inspected the mt-dappd.conf and init.d/mt-daapd files and they compare well with examples I’ve found on this site. I’ve used the .deb binary that was referenced in Matt’s Blog [http://dotnet.org.za/matt/articles/48417.aspx].

Any clues to help resolve this problem would be greatfully received.

Thanks very much,

Bill Cole

Anonymous
    Inactive

Couple of suggestions

1. Make sure your firewall is open for Firefly. If you are running on a LAN just turn off the firewall and try it, if it works turn off the firewall and try again. If it fails time to look closer at the firewall.

failing that…

2. Go to the firefly.conf file and change the Log level to 5 or higher if necessary and restart – Look at the log try and work out where the problem is, if you get nowhere post the log back here

Good luck

fizze
    Participant

Actually 0.2.4 is horribly outdated.

Use any off http://nightlies.fireflymediaserver.com the unstable builds aren’t that unstable.
    svn-1696 is the most recent unstable build as of now, and its actually stable to use on a PC without a hitch.

So, update to svn-1696, and overwrite your config file with the default one, since the format has also considerably changed since 0.2.4.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks very much for the good information.

I enabled the log file a level 5 and found out that:
    “Could not open port: Address already in use”
    “Error starting web server: Address already in use”
    “Aborting”
    “Rendezvous socket closed (daap server crashed?) Aborting.”

Oh, I turned off the firewall.

So the problem now is, I guess, finding out what’s using the 3689 socket? This is new territory for me and would very much appreciate help in sorting that out.

Thanks again, very much.

Bill Cole

Anonymous
    Inactive

Bill

You are working at the edge of my expertise here

I would go to the firefly.conf file and change port to another port and try that.

Also, another option maybe to re-install firefly

Let me know how it goes

Anonymous
    Inactive

Yup, changed the port to 3688 and, with the firewall [Firestarter] on, the mt-daapd web server served. Still have to get to the Soundbridge to see if I can see the server, though.

Thanks very much,

Bill Cole

rpedde
    Participant

@wacole wrote:

I’ve inspected the mt-dappd.conf and init.d/mt-daapd files and they compare well with examples I’ve found on this site. I’ve used the .deb binary that was referenced in Matt’s Blog [http://dotnet.org.za/matt/articles/48417.aspx].

dapper has mt-daapd already in the repository. Remove the version you have installed with “apt-get –purge remove mt-daapd”.

Remove the init.d files if they haven’t already been removed, then apt-get install mt-daapd. That should get you the version from ubuntu. You’ll need ot update your config, but give that a try and see where it gets you.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks very much for the info on repository source. I got mt-daapd to purge properly, but apt-get install mt-daapd did not find a package. I checked [as in literally checked the boxes of] all of the repositories that are shown in Synaptics, so there must be a repository that I need to add.

Thanks very much for the help.

Bill Cole

rpedde
    Participant

@wacole wrote:

Thanks very much for the info on repository source. I got mt-daapd to purge properly, but apt-get install mt-daapd did not find a package. I checked [as in literally checked the boxes of] all of the repositories that are shown in Synaptics, so there must be a repository that I need to add.

Thanks very much for the help.

Bill Cole

I believe it’s in the Universe repository — these were instructions for enabling it on 6.10. Not sure if it still holds, but it might give you a start int he right direction:

https://help.ubuntu.com/6.10/ubuntu/desktopguide/C/extra-repositories.html

— Ron

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thank very much. Did all that, but no mt-daapd, either thru apt-get or Synaptics [ran that just to make sure]. I think the problem is that I’m running 6.06LTS and not 6.10. I’ve taken a stab at updating to 6.10, but ran aground and haven’t the time to tackle it again.

Bill Cole

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 12 total)
  • The forum ‘Setup Issues’ is closed to new topics and replies.