Trouble with External HD

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

I’m running Firefly under Ubuntu 7.10. When I point the “Music Folder” to the correct folder on the external hard drive I get this error message “Error: 500general:mp3_dir.” I’m wondering if there is something special I need to do to run the server with a music folder on an external drive (it is mounted) or if I’m doing something else wrong. The folder path includes blank spaces and I’ve tried with and without escape characters for the spaces in the file path and I’m still not having any success. I tried making a symlink to the external hard drive on a local drive and pointed the library to the folder containing the symlink without success. Any suggestions?

sonichouse
    Participant

What is your path to the msuc folder ?

Do you have permissions set ?

If your music is in the “/mnt/Disk 1/mp3” folder try setting the path like

/mnt/Disk 1/mp3

Anonymous
    Inactive

The path to the music folder with escape characters like you said is:
    /media/EXTERNAL HD/Local Disk (F)/My Music/

I just set permissions to 755. The drive is vfat though…

After changing the music location to what I have above (which I tried before) and changing the permissions it still doesn’t work. When I click “Start Scan” it scans for all of 5 seconds and then is finished without detecting any music.

rpedde
    Participant

@itsjweed wrote:

The path to the music folder with escape characters like you said is:
    /media/EXTERNAL HD/Local Disk (F)/My Music/

I just set permissions to 755. The drive is vfat though…

After changing the music location to what I have above (which I tried before) and changing the permissions it still doesn’t work. When I click “Start Scan” it scans for all of 5 seconds and then is finished without detecting any music.

Paths don’t need to be escaped, except for commas. Double check the permissions on the files. Some file systems mount them 600/700 for the user that mounted it (root).

Might have to use mount option to make the fs readable. That’s something to look into.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Removed the escape characters from the path.
    Included these mount options: fmask=002,dmask=002

When I started the scan it worked perfect this time. Thanks for the help.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘Setup Issues’ is closed to new topics and replies.