trouble with accented characters

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi all,

I use a Linux program called EasyTag for tagging MP3 and Ogg files. As currently configured, it writes ID3v2.4 tags in UTF-8 format.

Alas, when I view the files served via firefly in Rhythmbox under Fedora 9, the accented characters aren’t displayed correctly; they are replaced by the tiny hex box.

Any idea what’s going wrong here?

I am running mt-daapd-0.2.4.2 under FreeBSD 7.

Thanks.

fizze
    Participant

There is an option to force the character set of ID3 tags to be UTF8 in firefly.
    I don’t know version 0.2.4.2, but I’d recommend upgrading to a recent nightly build, 1568 for instance. It’s quite stable and has amongst others better i8n support.

Anonymous
    Inactive

OK, I downloaded the 1568 tarball and I am trying to compile it under FreeBSD. However, I am getting this error:

checking for id3tag.h... no
    configure: error: id3tag.h not found... try --with-id3tag=dir

That file is definitely on my system:

$ locate id3tag.h
    /usr/local/include/id3tag.h

I try this but it doesn’t fix it:

$ ./configure --prefix=/usr/local --enable-sqlite3 --with-id3tag=/usr/local/include

What is correct syntax?

TIA

fizze
    Participant
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks. Should have found that myself.

OK, following those instructions, I compiled and installed it. The first time I tried to run it, it complained that the plugins directory was not specfied in the mt-daapd.conf. Fixed that.

But now, nothing happens when I try to run it. My startup script executes but nothing is loaded.

FWIW, here is my mt-daapd.conf file:

#
    # mt-daapd.conf
    #
    # Edited: Sat Aug 16 13:01:52 2008
    # By:
    #
    web_root /usr/local/share/mt-daapd/admin-root
    port 3689
    admin_pw ********
    mp3_dir /media/disk8/Music
    servername venus
    runas daapd
    playlist /usr/local/etc/mt-daapd.playlist
    extensions .mp3,.m4a,.m4p,.ogg,.flac,.ape,.mpc
    db_dir /var/db/mt-daapd
    rescan_interval 30
    scan_type 1
    always_scan 1
    logfile /var/log/mt-daapd.log
    process_m3u 1
    compress 1
    [plugins]
    plugin_dir = /usr/local/share/mt-daapd/plugins

and this is the startup script, which I think the port installed:

#!/bin/sh
    #
    # $FreeBSD: ports/audio/mt-daapd/files/mt-daapd.sh.in,v 1.1 2006/06/25 13:17:25 itetcu Exp $
    # formerly $ FreeBSD: ports/audio/mt-daapd/files/mt-daapd.sh,v 1.1 2004/07/19 09:18:51 edwin Exp $

# PROVIDE: mt-daapd
    # REQUIRE: LOGIN

. /etc/rc.subr

name="mtdaapd"
    rcvar="mt_daapd_enable"

command="/usr/local/sbin/mt-daapd"
    command_args="-c /usr/local/etc/mt-daapd.conf"
    pidfile="/var/run/mt-daapd.pid"
    required_dirs="/var/db/mt-daapd"
    required_files="/usr/local/etc/mt-daapd.conf.sample"

load_rc_config "$name"
    run_rc_command "$1"

Anything catch your eye?

Thanks.

fizze
    Participant

Yeah, the config file format changed radically, so you need to grab a fresh one from the nightlies and adopt it. Its ugly, but it works if you enter your paths etc again.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi again fizze,

I created a new config file from scratch based on the sample in ../contribs.

firefly now starts and appears to run fine; I can log into the new web interface (very nice).

However, I can’t seem to connect from my client (rhythmbox). rhythmbox sees the firefly server, but as soon as I try to connect, it throws up an error message:

Could not connect to shared music
    unathorized

I see this line in /var/log/mt-daapd.log:

Thread 1: Entering ws_returnerror (401: Unauthorized)

I’ve never password-protected my music shares, but I tried adding a password in the config file, but it makes no difference.

Any ideas?…

A very big THANKS for your help…

fizze
    Participant

Weird. Can you connect using other clients? Did you try banshee as well?
    Maybe the problem lies with the multicast announcements, iE avahi/mDNS and the likes.

You definetely still don’t need a password to connect to a firefly share, out of the box.

Anonymous
    Inactive

For some reason Banshee is flaky at the moment. So, I tried the Firefly Java client. No luck there either.

I then tried the later version, svn-1696, but for some reason it keeps giving me an error message when I try to start it, namely that the plugin dir is not defined. Of course it is; the exact lines from the latest config with the source.

If you have any more suggestions, let me know.

For the time being, I have reverted to v0.2.4.2.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi again,

I got svn-1568 working under Fedora. You are right: it handles accented characters much better. No problem connecting to it from another Linux client running either Rhythmbox or Banshee.

When I have a little more time, I will experiment some more with 1596 under FreeBSD to see if I can figure out why clients can’t connect.

There is one thing I am missing in 1596 vis-a-vis v0.2.4.2: In Rhythmbox, I can click on the v0.2.4.2 server name (it has a little arrowhead next to it) and it expands to display the .m3u playlists it has found. This doesn’t happen with the latter version. Any ideas why this not happening? I definitely have it activiated in mt-daapd.conf:

process_m3u = 1

Thanks.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 15 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.