You are here: Home » Topic » transcoding from flac to mp3 instead of wav?

transcoding from flac to mp3 instead of wav?

This topic contains 15 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  fizze 10 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author

jloiselle

I want to run my DAAP server at home through an SSH tunnel/Rendezvous proxy to my office, but WAV is too hefty to transport. Is it possible to transcode from FLAC to MP3? Or does wavstreamer have to be involved?

rpedde
    Participant

@jloiselle wrote:

I want to run my DAAP server at home through an SSH tunnel/Rendezvous proxy to my office, but WAV is too hefty to transport. Is it possible to transcode from FLAC to MP3? Or does wavstreamer have to be involved?

Doesn’t have to be. There are patches around to do just that (search the forums), but I won’t add them until I have a way to choose when to transcode to mp3 or when to transcode to wav. Until then, I’ll just refer everyone to the patch that’s out there.

— Ron

jloiselle

is this the patch?
    http://www.mt-daapd.org/components/com_simpleboard/uploaded/files/transcodefix.patch.txt

i couldnt seem to find any other patches searching for “mp3 patch”

jloiselle

i still cant seem to scour out this transcoding to mp3 patch? does anyone know where this is located? TIA.

rpedde
    Participant

@jloiselle wrote:

i still cant seem to scour out this transcoding to mp3 patch? does anyone know where this is located? TIA.

Hrm… I can’t find it either. I thought it used to be here, but maybe it didn’t live through the migration to the new forums.

jloiselle

i thought i read on this forum that you are planning to implement this type of functionality in the future.. what is the estimated arrival date on such an excellent feature… is this something donations would speed along? 😉

herr klang

okay, yeah, just another query to see if this patch exists anywhere. i use mt-daapd over a vpn to get at my home music. wav streaming over a 600kbps dsl link really just doesn’t cut the mustard, and my half-hearted hackin’ attempts have failed. won’t someone please show me the light? thx.

EDIT: i figured it out. i missed one other location where i had to change ‘wav’ to ‘mp3’ in the source code. i feel bad that the internet has record of me once being unable to figure this out, but i would also feel bad for removing it. okay!

barnseyboy
    Participant

can you give some details as to how you patched it – i have the same streaming to work over dsl issue, and wavstreaming isnt cutting it.

ignasigarcia

I’m also in the same situation. Isn’t there anybody who has used those patches that nobody finds and share them with the rest of us?

TIA

Ignasi

joeyo

Hi Guys,

I’m using [a|the] transcoding patch. I include alink to it below, however please note a few caveats:

1. It is a patch against cvs-20060317. This is old. Really really old. Your chances of getting it working on anything newer are probably pretty slim– I haven’t even bothered trying as a lot of code has changed in the meanwhiles.

2. It doesn’t seem to transcode ogg properly. I haven’t bothered looking into this as I mostly use it for flac->mp3.

3. I cannot provide support for this patch. Sorry.

http://plik.net/~joey/mt-daapd/

tetonedge

I was wondering if anybody has been able to do this, I would like to do this as well and have the newest version from CVS. Thanks

ignasigarcia

Does anybody know if transcoding to mp3 is in the developers agenda???

My huge music collection is in .ogg, which is fine for Amarok, but I’d like to listen to my music when I’m away with my mac through my VPN… Im really looking forward to it.

Thanks,

Ignasi

fizze
    Participant

well the patch is there. but it wont run properly on something like the nslu2.

aint there a player that is capable of playing ogg-streams on OS X?
    *scratches head*

tetonedge

If the patch is there is it capable of running on Linux, I need the transcoding of ogg to wave (or mp3) for my soundbridge and would like it go to mp3 so i can stream it. If that is not possible is there a way to have it tell to transcode only to certain clients?

dt

rpedde
    Participant

@tetonedge wrote:

If the patch is there is it capable of running on Linux, I need the transcoding of ogg to wave (or mp3) for my soundbridge and would like it go to mp3 so i can stream it. If that is not possible is there a way to have it tell to transcode only to certain clients?

dt

Right out of the box it does ogg conversion that works fine on the soundbridge. Doesn’t do mp3, though, just wav.

— Ron

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.