Transcoded content not Gapless (lost samples, etc.)

FireFly Media Server Firefly Media Server Forums Firefly Media Server Nightlies Feedback Transcoded content not Gapless (lost samples, etc.)

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    grommet
    Participant

A few started a similar thread in the Roku Firefly forum, noticing gapless FLAC & WMAL content was not gapless on SoundBridge + Firefly. I noticed some of this before, but never did controlled tests until yesterday.

I reproduced the problem with FLAC, OGG (yes, lossy), WMA Lossless & ALAC to WAV transcoding… probably any transcoding and not just gapless capable formats. (My ALAC test was the worst.)

WMA Lossless with WMC 2.0 (transcoded to LPCM) is perfectly gapless on my evil samples. (In fact, SoundBridge + WMAL is better than Windows Media Player + WMAL on playback. Darn WMP bugs…)

Samples are getting dropped, and in at least one case some junk samples were added. D’oh! Ron, I can pass you a small multi-format “test suite”… if you’d like.

Firefly svn-1249 (Win32)

rpedde
    Participant

@grommet wrote:

A few started a similar thread in the Roku Firefly forum, noticing gapless FLAC & WMAL content was not gapless on SoundBridge + Firefly. I noticed some of this before, but never did controlled tests until yesterday.

I reproduced the problem with FLAC, OGG (yes, lossy), WMA Lossless & ALAC to WAV transcoding… probably any transcoding and not just gapless capable formats. (My ALAC test was the worst.)

WMA Lossless with WMC 2.0 (transcoded to LPCM) is perfectly gapless on my evil samples. (In fact, SoundBridge + WMAL is better than Windows Media Player + WMAL on playback. Darn WMP bugs…)

Samples are getting dropped, and in at least one case some junk samples were added. D’oh! Ron, I can pass you a small multi-format “test suite”… if you’d like.

Firefly svn-1249 (Win32)

If you can send me something that repros obviously and is short (10-15 sec) so I can do test turnarounds on quickly, I’d take it.

grommet
    Participant

My very short test suite has been sent to Ron… fairly obvious and less than 25 seconds in 5 tracks.

Ron, listen for the clicks/pops. Good luck. 8)

grommet
    Participant

Original thread on Roku forum: http://www.rokulabs.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=53045

I posted this there:

Ron, any update on this as we’re getting close to “stable”? This is fairly significant, especially on ALAC… which seems to be the worst case.

rpedde
    Participant

@grommet wrote:

Original thread on Roku forum: http://www.rokulabs.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=53045

I posted this there:

Ron, any update on this as we’re getting close to “stable”? This is fairly significant, especially on ALAC… which seems to be the worst case.

I looked at it briefly, but didn’t get anywhere. It might be a ffmpeg thing, but I’m having lots of problems trying to get a new version of ffmpeg compiled. the ffmpeg developers are actively anti-windows, and the windows build chain is completely broken.

On the other hand, I’m kind of afraid to swap out ffmpeg at this late date. Might be the better move to suck it up until we’ve cut a stable, and attack it after that.

grommet
    Participant

Something is screwy. Can’t blame ffmpeg for WMAL, though. But you can safely blame the WMF SDK for now. 8) It’s probably one of those fun multi-level problems. 😈

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘Nightlies Feedback’ is closed to new topics and replies.