the sxs problems with the windows exectuable

FireFly Media Server Firefly Media Server Forums Firefly Media Server Nightlies Feedback the sxs problems with the windows exectuable

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Are you remembering to build in “Release” mode vs “Debug?”

If you distribute the debug/bin/*.exe files, and run them on a machine without Visual Studio, you will be in DLL hell, and with VS2005, it’s the SXS room of DLL Hell.

When you have your VS project open, about in the middle of the tool bar is a drop down menu with two choices. “Debug” and “Release”. Change that to “Release” and make sure you’re getting the distributable binaries from Release/bin/*.exe

I’ve seen this problem with Visual C++ only. C# and .Net 2.0 doesn’t seem to have the same hang ups.

Timothy.

rpedde
    Participant

@airlift wrote:

Are you remembering to build in “Release” mode vs “Debug?”

If you distribute the debug/bin/*.exe files, and run them on a machine without Visual Studio, you will be in DLL hell, and with VS2005, it’s the SXS room of DLL Hell.

When you have your VS project open, about in the middle of the tool bar is a drop down menu with two choices. “Debug” and “Release”. Change that to “Release” and make sure you’re getting the distributable binaries from Release/bin/*.exe

I’ve seen this problem with Visual C++ only. C# and .Net 2.0 doesn’t seem to have the same hang ups.

Timothy.

I actually build on a headless box (vmware server) using devenv. I think what happen is that when I “make clean’ed” the project, I was cleaning the debug project, and then building release. Strangely though, even with new source it was showing “7 projects up-to-date” even though they should have been rebuilt. So something not right with dependancies on the windows project.

Also the fact that I was bundling the redist for non-sp1 and building against sp1 because the sp of my build machine was different that my development machine.

D’oh.

I think it’s all straightened out now, though.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • The forum ‘Nightlies Feedback’ is closed to new topics and replies.