You are here: Home » Topic » The case for reviving Fireflypage 3

The case for reviving Firefly

This topic contains 135 replies, has 47 voices, and was last updated by  blamm 8 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 136 total)
  • Author

EVILRipper
    Participant

Is the question/answer something you made up yourself? If so, it will indeed keep the spam away.
    I also agree in the users without posts. I would even agree to delete users with 1 or 2 posts. Would you care if your account on a forum got deleted where you posted 2 messages? I wouldn’t.

Edit: I did a quick check. Deleting all users with # of posts <= 2, the user count would lower to 21 pages.
    Deleting # of posts = 0 would equal 46 pages. As the # of members is spread over almost 500 pages, I guess we can delete quite some users. ๐Ÿ™‚

Anonymous

@evilripper wrote:

Is the question/answer something you made up yourself? If so, it will indeed keep the spam away.
    I also agree in the users without posts. I would even agree to delete users with 1 or 2 posts. Would you care if your account on a forum got deleted where you posted 2 messages? I wouldn’t.

Edit: I did a quick check. Deleting all users with # of posts <= 2, the user count would lower to 21 pages.
    Deleting # of posts = 0 would equal 46 pages. As the # of members is spread over almost 500 pages, I guess we can delete quite some users. ๐Ÿ™‚

All inactive and de-activated users now deleted, all posts that represent spam now deleted. All users with 1 post have also been deleted and am now systematically trawling through the posts looking for keywords.

I think this should be ready to archive very soon and transferred to more up-to-date forum.

I am still toying with continuing with phpbb3 or moving to a more simpler structure such as bbpress, where controlling spam can be a lot simpler. PHPBB3 is great but can be a bit overly complex when you want to do simple things.

Doing some import tests now…

Anonymous

Anyone know how to make this a sticky as will be moving to new forum and site soon and will need to make announcements..

stretch
    Participant

Use the quick mod tools at the bottom of the page.
    I’ve already stickied this topic.

When we’re ready for the move i was going to post a new “Global” post

Anonymous

Hello and coming late to the party…

I happened across this forum TODAY, while configuring the Firefly server embedded in my Netgear ReadyNAS Duo that I’m just setting up now.

Among other things, I’ve realized that I’m going to have to post three of these suckers to avoid getting nuked as a spammer. ๐Ÿ˜ฎ

One thing you should consider as you get involved with reviving Firefly (which so far is working flawlessly for me on a Snow Leopard Mac with iTunes 9.0.1, though I don’t yet have everything configured) is that I found this board through the link embedded into the Firefly Server. I’m not sure from the discussion how you plan to migrate the forum, but I’d recommend that you leave good tracks so that legitimate users can find you.

I’m an experienced group moderator, BTW; but you don’t know me and I don’t know you so it’s too soon to offer that kind of help.

bikerbudmatt

Anonymous

Forgive these two superfluous messagesโ€ฆ

bikerbudmatt

Anonymous

โ€ฆbut I have to get my posting count up quickly!

Thanks,

bikerbudmatt

stretch
    Participant

@andrew40 wrote:

All inactive and de-activated users now deleted, all posts that represent spam now deleted. All users with 1 post have also been deleted and am now systematically trawling through the posts looking for keywords.

I’m still seeing 22,500 members with 0 posts ๐Ÿ˜•

gmichelson
    Participant

All,

As much as cleaning up the forum seems like a high priority item, reviving development of Firefly looks like more important one to me – but it’s getting lost in the thread…

Anonymous

I agree the development should be more important than preserving old and maybe obsolete postings.

I can help with compiling Firefly for WinXP, Vista, Windows 7, OS X 10.5, OS X 10.6.

Please let’s move forward.

Anonymous

Hello.

I would also like to help. I’ve coming to this forum regularly (even if in the last months it was mainly only SPAM).
    During some time I could not stay without checking every day for the nightlies.

Time, few. But any help is better than nothing.

Anonymous

OK.

I have to create a new post to avoid to create again my user on the new board.

๐Ÿ˜€

honerjetso
    Participant

Just registered to say “Good work on getting this moving”.. I have been using mt_daapd for some time now, on various systems and although my main use is to stream to iTunes I have always thought it could be capable of much much more.

Keep up the good work….

I rarely register on forums and the never found much of an interest on this one due to the spam but just reading through the last two months of this post has given me a smile.. Go go go…. IMO a single point for a straight forward media server is the way to go.. Multi device and multi media (Video, audio). Make the dream big ๐Ÿ™‚

S80_UK
    Participant

And I’m still here too (been here 3 years now) – running Firefly under Debian at present. Due to professional commitments I have limited time to assist on the development side, but I would like to help keep Firefly alive if I can, even if only by occasional testing.

Anonymous

Guys

I am ready to start the development process in favour and as a higher priority to the forum, but have had not had any hard responses back yet from people who can aid in development.

I will have access to the sourceforge project soon and looking at re building everything, but I cannot do it on my own with just a couple of moderators. I need developers…

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 136 total)

The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.