The case for reviving Firefly

Viewing 10 posts - 21 through 30 (of 136 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

@l.aluffi wrote:

I’m devoted to Ubuntu and, searching in launchpad, I’ve seen that there is already a page for the projec, and a maintainer too: check the url https://launchpad.net/mt-daapd. I guess he’s the one who packages the application for new distribution’s releases.

Nope, he’s not. The mt-daapd package is imported from Debian, and I am maintaining it in Debian.

Anonymous
    Inactive

@andrew40:

I’m interested to know how any migration to a new forum might work. Naturally there are some incredibly useful threads that have evolved over time and Ron’s (and others) input has been invaluable in resolving user problems. Evidently we’d not want to lose any of that mine of information. As as suggestion, when any such migration does take place, can I suggest that some sort of period of piggy-backing between this existing forum and the new space exists so that regular posters can cross-check to an extent between the old & new and highlight any obvious discrepancies between them? In other words, let’s not vaporise this forum until we’re sure we’ve got what we need in the new space.

Granted, I may be being paranoid, but speaking for myself, Ron was incredibly helpful particularly in getting me up & running on the Slug (as a linux idiot) and multiply me by a factor of x you have many users who must have taken that information and resolved their own issues. I know from direct contact that posts I made for Mac users had a positive effect and hugely valuable contributions from blamm, stretch, fizze, EVILripper and others must have helped 100s if not 1000s of users over the last few years. I just want to be sure that when the move is made we keep the knowledge base. I appreciate you’re working with Ron towards that goal but feel it’s worth putting it into words all the same.

cheers, Andy

sansp00
    Participant

Well, if I can find the time, I would be willing to contribute … Im a 10+ year experienced developer in C/C++/Java and I did poke around the Firefly code in the past (mostly to port it to the HP Mediavault gen 1). My C is a bit rusty, but if we can get a source code manager (svn would be nice) and create the Eclipse project (it’s free, multiplatform and widespread) to work with the code, I could try to pitch in. For me, it’s mostly the case of finding time ๐Ÿ™

stretch
    Participant

@andrew40 wrote:

Yes we need a wiki, so we can set that up if you tell me which software to use for the wiki.

Not fussed, I’ll have to learn how to use it regardless of which you select.
    Existing one is a moin moin wiki and i was learning how to use it just before Ron disappeared.

You want me to put up an announcement to advertise the spam free forum or do you want to wait to see if you can migrate all the posts from here across to the new one first?

Anonymous

Ron has given me admin access and I also have an extract. I am just trying to see how we can sort i=out the users and import the good posts.

I have one thought, that I could import all the old posts into the new forum as an archive forum, then the new posts into the new sections. The archive forum would not allow new posts but there for informtion?

Just trying to figure this out with the current forum, huge and loads of nil post users which I think we should delete as probably spam…

Andy

stretch
    Participant

I like the archive idea for old forum posts. Just need to make sure it searchable.
    The new forum needs a 3rd party section for all the add-ons.

Not sure about the zero post idea. Yes, a lot of them will be spam bots & it’ll probably be easiest to just delete those accounts.
    It might annoy a few people but I can’t really think of a way to determine spammers from legitimate accounts.

Are you able to change me from a forum mod to a global mod on this forum? There’s a few repeat visit spammers I’d like to ban.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Agreed, a searchable archive section covers the bases.

If zero posters get stroppy then so be it. It should take little time to re-register with the necessary security in place to hopefully exclude the bots. You could always include a sticky of some sort to explain why the measure has been taken. I can’t imagine that any reasonable individual would object. As it is, there’s so little traffic from legit posters no doubt directly due to the parlous state of affairs and the halt in development, any advance on the present should be welcomed and embraced! ๐Ÿ˜€

blamm
    Participant

I agree. Anything progress is better than the current state of affairs.

Anonymous

@stretch wrote:

Are you able to change me from a forum mod to a global mod on this forum? There’s a few repeat visit spammers I’d like to ban.

Consider it done ๐Ÿ™‚

Anonymous

On the new forum I have added two criteria for new users registering,

Answer a yes no question
    Answer a question, which has a defined answer i.e. Out of 12345 which is the middle number

This should stop the automated bots and scripts automatically registering.

I also note that there are literally thousands of users who have never posted or revisited the site (inactive users), I propose deleting these to clean the system up, and all users with usernames beginning with # as this seems entirely automated as well.

Any comments feel free… as always

Viewing 10 posts - 21 through 30 (of 136 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.