The case for reviving Firefly

Viewing 10 posts - 91 through 100 (of 136 total)
  • Author
    thorstenhirsch
    Participant

Now I’m confused, Julien.
    In the meanwhile I have updated my linkstation (NAS with mipsel architecture) to Debian Lenny with a custom 2.6.30.5 kernel, which means, that my glibc is still too old for forked-firefly, but at least my kernel would work. Now I see, that you, Julien, are the package maintainer of the firefly package (“mt-daapd”, svn-1696) on Debian Lenny. Why didn’t you write a forked-firefly that runs on Lenny? Now you have to maintain Ron’s old code on Lenny and you have a forked-firefly that only a few people can use. I mean, if I were you, I would have written forked-firefly in a way that it can be used on Lenny and become the package maintainer of that forked-firefly instead of Ron’s firefly.

Anyway, it’s your code and your decision. For me the question is: should I upgrade to Squeeze (I’m a bit afraid, because of the mipsel architecture) and just use your forked-firefly or should I try to “downgrade” your code so that it can work on Lenny.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Julien, I have a patch for you which was needed in order to serve video to my Front Row clients. I tried sending it to you at blache.org, but got the following in return. I also tried sending it to your debian address. If you don’t get it, and do read this, please let me know how to best get it to you.

Subject: failure notice
    Date: Monday, December 7, 2009, 9:31 PM

Sorry, we were unable to deliver your message to the following address.

:
    No MX or A records for jblache.org

Specifically…
    * Accepts “QuickTime*” and “Front%20Row*” as user agents
    * Returns a Content-Length header for streamed files
    * Respects the ending number in a “Range” header
    * Returns a correct “Content-Type” for video files

Basically, Front Row is much pickier about how the response headers are constructed than really anything else.

Also, while I was at it, I cleaned up a few things which you may or may not find interesting…

* Streaming file is never closed, as far as I could tell, so I added a close() to stream_end()
    * Content-Range was returning one too many bytes on the size.
    * Demoted a couple very verbose logging messages to SPAM, which helped a lot using the log files for debugging.

Anonymous

@stretch wrote:

@andrew40 wrote:

Also awaiting a reply from Roku for which the original project was setup for the understand that may not be forthcoming.

Roku has pretty much abandoned the SoundBridge product line.
    From what I’ve seen & read on their forum, the biggest problem with the product was that diagnosing network problems is beyond the skill level of many users & poor quality design of their power supplies, especially the SB Radio.

I have abandoned comms with ROKU for now (no responses) and am getting no responses now from Ron, so what I envisage doing is activating the forum on the new site and closing this board down or running it as an archive. The problem is, is that I have the export but DON’T want to import all the spam, so wondering whether it is easier to replicate with a new blank board and get new users to re-register?

With the code have no concrete help in the development of it so struggling with this one. Going to try and finalise this today, have been some good inputs (and negative ones). Everyone wants to use it but no-one wants to help manage it, which is a shame.

I’ll input some progress on here tonight and see where we can go with this?

Anonymous
    Inactive

I previously posted the following …

Re: The case for reviving Firefly

Postby ngonz on Sat Oct 03, 2009 2:01 pm
    I agree the development should be more important than preserving old and maybe obsolete postings.

I can help with compiling Firefly for WinXP, Vista, Windows 7, OS X 10.5, OS X 10.6.

Please let’s move forward.

I am still waiting to contribute any way I can.

stretch
    Participant

@andrew40 wrote:

but DON’T want to import all the spam,

What spam?
    Virtually all of it has been deleted. If i can find the rest, i’ll delete that too.
    We do have 400 odd pages of members with a zero post count that could easily be deleted

Anonymous
    Inactive

@stretch wrote:

@andrew40 wrote:

but DON’T want to import all the spam,

What spam?
    Virtually all of it has been deleted. If i can find the rest, i’ll delete that too.
    We do have 400 odd pages of members with a zero post count that could easily be deleted

Yes. Do it. Too much time trying to find the right decision. Let’s take now one. Be the best or not. Let’s move.
    If this goes forward more people will help (like me) as much we/they can.

Motto: Firefly “eppur si muove”

jgoor
    Participant

Does anyone has a status update on fireflymediaserver.net?

After the first coutdown the countdown was extended with 4 more days after which the site suddenly disappeared.
    Twitter isn’t very helping either… Is this a hope in vain of do I have to be more patient?

Anonymous
    Inactive

Same impatience here… what are the news ?

Anonymous

@jgoor wrote:

Does anyone has a status update on fireflymediaserver.net?

After the first coutdown the countdown was extended with 4 more days after which the site suddenly disappeared.
    Twitter isn’t very helping either… Is this a hope in vain of do I have to be more patient?

Patience, all being set up.. What do you want me to tell you on Twitter – “patience”

Anonymous
    Inactive

I signed up and attempted to make some posts ~1 week ago. I see no sign of them yet… but I see that at least some new posts are being accepted… I’d PM someone and ask, but I’m not seeing any options under the “Contact” heading for the users I see… so again, apologies, this appears to be the only open door I can find (I got the gist that the project is mostly on hold and there were spam concerns in the forums, but I was hoping forum was still alive for user-to-user support)

thanks,
    Mike

Viewing 10 posts - 91 through 100 (of 136 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.