You are here: Home » Topic » Synology CS-406 and Pinnacle (Roku) SoundBridge M1001

Synology CS-406 and Pinnacle (Roku) SoundBridge M1001

FireFly Media Server (formerly mt-daapd) Firefly Media Server Forums Firefly Media Server Setup Issues Synology CS-406 and Pinnacle (Roku) SoundBridge M1001

This topic contains 53 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  rpedde 10 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 54 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #1316

    SydneyGuy
    Participant

    G’Day,

    It’s been a wild few days for me. I recently bought a Pinnacle SoundBridge M1001 and was hoping to play music on it from my Synology CS-406 NAS. I enabled the “Multimedia Service” on the CS-406 and the SoundBridge saw my music collection and I was able to play it. But there were a few shortcomings with the Multimedia Service that may be fixed one day but I’m trying to sort out a workaround in the meantime.

    I started reading forums and ended up with a bad case of information overload. But I pressed on and came to the decision that I probably needed to run either Twonky (media or music) or Firefly on my CS-406. Twonky seemed like the easier of the two so I gave that a go last night and after a while I got it working. It’s currently in 30 day trial mode and it will cost me A$50 to register it.

    Now given that Firefly is free and is seemingly well supported by Roku I thought I better have a look at it too. Unfortunately I haven’t really been able to come up with a definitive answer as to whether it will run on my CS-406. I’ve seen a few cryptic installation instructions for a DS-106 but that’s about all.

    So my main two quesitons are …. can Firefly run on a Synology CS-406 and if so what do I need to download and then do to get it installed? Hopefully someone has already done this and can put together a simple list that I, and hopefully any others in the same situation, can follow easily.

    I look forward to trying it out and comparing it Twonky. Hopefully the zero cost option will win out!

    #10257

    rpedde
    Participant

    @sydneyguy wrote:

    G’Day,

    It’s been a wild few days for me. I recently bought a Pinnacle SoundBridge M1001 and was hoping to play music on it from my Synology CS-406 NAS. I enabled the “Multimedia Service” on the CS-406 and the SoundBridge saw my music collection and I was able to play it. But there were a few shortcomings with the Multimedia Service that may be fixed one day but I’m trying to sort out a workaround in the meantime.

    I started reading forums and ended up with a bad case of information overload. But I pressed on and came to the decision that I probably needed to run either Twonky (media or music) or Firefly on my CS-406. Twonky seemed like the easier of the two so I gave that a go last night and after a while I got it working. It’s currently in 30 day trial mode and it will cost me A$50 to register it.

    Now given that Firefly is free and is seemingly well supported by Roku I thought I better have a look at it too. Unfortunately I haven’t really been able to come up with a definitive answer as to whether it will run on my CS-406. I’ve seen a few cryptic installation instructions for a DS-106 but that’s about all.

    So my main two quesitons are …. can Firefly run on a Synology CS-406 and if so what do I need to download and then do to get it installed? Hopefully someone has already done this and can put together a simple list that I, and hopefully any others in the same situation, can follow easily.

    I look forward to trying it out and comparing it Twonky. Hopefully the zero cost option will win out!

    This is the second request I’ve had for this, but I haven’t been able to find any optware-enabled firmware for it, or even any info on a compiler toolchain for it.

    Have you run across anything like that?

    #10258

    SydneyGuy
    Participant

    @rpedde wrote:

    This is the second request I’ve had for this, but I haven’t been able to find any optware-enabled firmware for it, or even any info on a compiler toolchain for it.

    Have you run across anything like that?

    I’m afraid I am no expert in the UNIX field. I learnt a bit of it back at university in the early 80’s but that’s it. I’ve seen the term optware but have no idea what it is. I know what a compiler is but don’t know where you would find one for the CS-406. Having said that, the CS-406 is a Power PC based machine. I have seen some forum posts of people running this on the Synology DS-106 which I believe is also Power PC based so maybe there is commonality there that we can make use of.

    I’d really love to help you sort this out as it would obviously help me as well. I’m reading a few different forums at the moment trying to work out the best way to go. If I come across anything that I think will help I’ll definitely post it here.

    I hope I don’t have to run custom firmware on the CS-406 but I am not averse to loading additional software. I managed that last night to enable telnet and to get Twonky running. At least I could remember ls -al, cd and chmod …. not bad from almost 30 years ago!!!

    #10259

    rpedde
    Participant

    @sydneyguy wrote:

    I have seen some forum posts of people running this on the Synology DS-106 which I believe is also Power PC based so maybe there is commonality there that we can make use of.

    Seems here is an optware enabler for the ppc synology machines — isn’t firmware, just the bare libraries and stuff you need to install:

    http://www.mobileforum.nl/viewtopic.php?t=491

    Once that’s done, then you’d need a ppc version of firefly. I don’t have that in ipkg form right now, but I’ll look for a ds-106 build chain and see if I can put it together.

    I’ll look around a bit.

    — Ron

    edit: http://oinkzwurgl.org/diskstation looks to be a good reference, and even includes info on the build chain. I’ll see what I can do with this.

    #10260

    SydneyGuy
    Participant

    Good stuff! I certainly can’t complain about the level of support especially what I am paying for your software.

    I’ve got 29 days of the Twonky trial to go so don’t bust yourself to get it done tonight ….. sometime tomorrow will be fine πŸ™‚

    #10261

    rpedde
    Participant

    @sydneyguy wrote:

    Good stuff! I certainly can’t complain about the level of support especially what I am paying for your software.

    We’ll make it work or double your money back. πŸ™‚

    — Ron

    #10262

    SydneyGuy
    Participant

    It’s a shame you aren’t in Australia or I’d at least buy you a beer.

    I’m downloading the optware stuff now. It will give me something to play with when I get home from work tonight.

    #10263

    SydneyGuy
    Participant

    OK well the first part was easy. I just installed Optware on my CS-406 and from what I can tell everything went well.

    Now I hope you can create a ppc version in ipkg format. Sounds easy to me πŸ™‚

    #10264

    rpedde
    Participant

    @sydneyguy wrote:

    OK well the first part was easy. I just installed Optware on my CS-406 and from what I can tell everything went well.

    Now I hope you can create a ppc version in ipkg format. Sounds easy to me πŸ™‚

    Hopefully I’ll have something this weekend. Stay tuned.

    — Ron

    #10265

    SydneyGuy
    Participant

    @rpedde wrote:

    Hopefully I’ll have something this weekend. Stay tuned.

    That’s great. We installed Firefly on the PC last night and we had it streaming my son’s iTunes collection to the SoundBridge. Hopefully it will work just as well on my CS-406 with my music collection.

    #10266

    SydneyGuy
    Participant

    Any joy with this Ron? I know you haven’t had anything better to do all weekend than to sort this out for me πŸ™‚

    #10267

    rpedde
    Participant

    @sydneyguy wrote:

    Any joy with this Ron? I know you haven’t had anything better to do all weekend than to sort this out for me πŸ™‚

    Just now is the first I’ve set down to work on this all weekend. I’m downloading the compilers and stuff now.

    — Ron

    #10268

    SydneyGuy
    Participant

    That’s right it’s probably still the weekend for you. 10:20am Monday here.

    No super rush though as I have had to return my new SoundBridge to the supplier as it was physically damaged when I got it. It still worked fine but when you spend that kind of money on something you want it to look perfect too. Hope to have my replacement tomorrow. I can still play with the server side of things though so if you do release something at least I can get it installed in preparation for when the replacement arrives.

    #10269

    SydneyGuy
    Participant

    How’s the playing with the compiler going? I hope to get my replacement SoundBridge tomorrow or Friday at the latest. Twonky will still be working but it would be nice to be able to try Firefly.

    #10270

    rpedde
    Participant

    @sydneyguy wrote:

    How’s the playing with the compiler going? I hope to get my replacement SoundBridge tomorrow or Friday at the latest. Twonky will still be working but it would be nice to be able to try Firefly.

    I’ve got a built package, but I’m using the ds101g toolchain, which I read should work. I guess the only thing to do is try. I’ll have the package up next nightlies (tonight or tomorrow), and it will likely take some experimentation to get it all working right.

    But we’re close.

    — Ron

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 54 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.