svn-1696 100% CPU when Firefly is running

FireFly Media Server Firefly Media Server Forums Firefly Media Server Nightlies Feedback svn-1696 100% CPU when Firefly is running

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Goattee
    Participant

I am finally operating in a fairly controllable environment after having run Firefly casually for the past 6 months.

I updated to 1696 a couple months ago and noticed that Firefly wants all available CPU resources whether it is scanning, “idle” or streaming. (Shutting down running programs and optional services only grants Firefly the right to take even more CPU.)

Is this behavior due to a bug? Are there well-understood mitigation and troubleshooting techniques? (Should I back off to an earlier version?)

Elsewhere I saw a message asserting that problem media files can touch off this behavior. The writer recommended a trial-and-error approach to find music files that Firefly finds objectionable. Considering that I have a huge 500G music collection, this method could take me forever.

Thanks for any tips anyone can offer.

stretch
    Participant

svn-1696 has a bug that kicks in when you do a rescan. The database becomes corrupted & unusable

To avoid it, you can either switch to an sqlite3 database or drop back to an older version

Goattee
    Participant

Thanks for the speedy reply. I should have indicated that I was already using sqlite3 with 1696 so I guess my best move is to step back to the next earlier strong version.

Goattee
    Participant
    stretch wrote:
    svn-1696 has a bug that kicks in when you do a rescan. The database becomes corrupted & unusable
    /quote]

Thanks again.

I installed over my previous installation stepping back to svn-1586. Because it kept my .conf file, I am still using sqlite3. My smart playlists were preserved. The rescan went smoothly and now current CPU usage is more reasonable.

My experience tells me that svn-1696 is unsuitable for production use. I can’t wait to see what Ron comes up with for the next major release.

rpedde
    Participant

@Goattee wrote:

My experience tells me that svn-1696 is unsuitable for production use. I can’t wait to see what Ron comes up with for the next major release.

Hopefully it will be stable, for one. 🙂

— Ron

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘Nightlies Feedback’ is closed to new topics and replies.