svn-1489 feedback

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    yak0v
    Participant

Setup: NSLU2/Debian Etch (testing)
    mt-daapd-svn-1489 compiled from source with following settings: ./configure –enable-ffmpeg –enable-sqlite3 –enable-avahi –with-ffmpeg-includes=/usr/include/ffmpeg –enable-mem-debug

Issues:
    1. There are a few memory leaks reported (log file is available if needed).
    2. Killing the process with -k switch doesn’t work when mt-daapd is started in daemon mode. After looking at os_init() and _os_daemon_start() routines I believe it’s because PID of parent is being written to the PIDFILE, however after fork() parent process exits and PIDFILE has PID that no longer exists. Hence the following message “kill: No such process”.
    3. When started in foreground mode the mt-daapd doesn’t exit when stopped with ^-C. Each process has to be manually killed with SIGQUIT.

On the separate note.

Ron,
    Do you have plans to give anonymous access to SVN? Are you looking or will you accept code contributions? My main area of interest is streaming video, but I can also help with code clean-up and bug/security fixes.

Regards,
    yakov

rpedde
    Participant

@yak0v wrote:

1. There are a few memory leaks reported (log file is available if needed).

Yup, but right now I think they are all reasonable ones — global vars and stuff, but nothing that accumulates over time. (I don’t think). I’m going to supress stuff that I know about so I only get stuff that’s unknown.

2. Killing the process with -k switch doesn’t work when mt-daapd is started in daemon mode. After looking at os_init() and _os_daemon_start() routines I believe it’s because PID of parent is being written to the PIDFILE, however after fork() parent process exits and PIDFILE has PID that no longer exists. Hence the following message “kill: No such process”.

Plus, -k sends SIGSTOP rather than SIGTERM. D’oh. All of these are fixed in svn, will build new nightlies tonight.

3. When started in foreground mode the mt-daapd doesn’t exit when stopped with ^-C. Each process has to be manually killed with SIGQUIT.

Should now… had problems with linuxthreads, I’d be interested in hearing if you have any more problems with what’s in current svn (r1494)

Do you have plans to give anonymous access to SVN? Are you looking or will you accept code contributions? My main area of interest is streaming video, but I can also help with code clean-up and bug/security fixes.

Sure! I’ll always take help. Anon svn right now is on sf, but I’m going to move it off sf soon. For now, it’s at:

https://mt-daapd.svn.mt-daapd.org/svnroot/mt-daapd/trunk

I was going to start looking at fixing up metadata for xmbc and frontrow, I think that might help fix streaming video problems, but I’ll sure welcome the help. Two of us could fix it twice as fast, i think.

— Ron

yak0v
    Participant

@rpedde wrote:

Sure! I’ll always take help. Anon svn right now is on sf, but I’m going to move it off sf soon. For now, it’s at:

Doesn’t appear to bea valid URL. I can wait till you move it of, it just makes easier to do svn diff against latest rev.

I was looking at network traces of iTunes to iTunes streaming and observed the same results I have with when streaming from firefly to iTunes. I consistently have problems streaming .mov and even some .m4v files purchased from iTS and renaming files doesn’t make any difference. I’m starting to think that the problem could be with video encoding/format.

Let me know if you’d like me to take a look at any particular area. We can take this discussion offline.

yakov

rpedde
    Participant

@yak0v wrote:

@rpedde wrote:

Doesn’t appear to bea valid URL. I can wait till you move it of, it just makes easier to do svn diff against latest rev.

Ugh… because its too early in the morning. Duh. It’s

https://mt-daapd.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/mt-daapd.trunk

Sorry.

I was looking at network traces of iTunes to iTunes streaming and observed the same results I have with when streaming from firefly to iTunes. I consistently have problems streaming .mov and even some .m4v files purchased from iTS and renaming files doesn’t make any difference. I’m starting to think that the problem could be with video encoding/format.

Let me know if you’d like me to take a look at any particular area. We can take this discussion offline.

yakov

You can email me at [email protected].

— Ron

gidonk
    Participant

Hey,
    I#m a absolute newbie but very enthusiastic in using the fireflymediaserver.
    My Equipment:
    NSLU2 with unslung Beta 6.8
    Soundbridge (that’s the reason, why I use this Nighlie)

My Problem:
    The Server ist running but on the Homepage of the Server is shown, that the Bonjour Service ist stopped (that was not direct after I ‘ve installed this nightlie.

Can I manually start the Service ?

Thanks very much.

gidonk

gidonk
    Participant

Hey,

I could solve the problem. The Server had no rights to scan the files in the directories.

So the Service stopped.

I changed it (I ‘ve learned very much today) and it runs.

Thank you.

gidonk

walinsky

Setup: p4/FC5
    mt-daapd-svn-1489 configured with: ./configure –prefix=/usr –enable-sqlite3

Runs like a charm; the first time since ages my iTunes Library.xml gets scanned correctly.
    XBMC picks up all playlists too! great!

thanx!

samleemd
    Participant

I might have the same problem as gidonk had. I’m running mt-daapd 1515 on ubuntu 6.10 edgy eft. I have two roku clients. The server runs and I can play music for at least an hour (perhaps longer) if the roku is started within the first few minutes or so. If the roku is not playing within the first few minutes of starting the server or is stopped for more than a few minutes, then the roku states that the server is no longer available. I’ve run the Avahi browser, which seems to show the server as running and the web configurator also shows the server running, although Bonjour is always stopped. Bonjour briefly appears to be running when I refresh the webpage, but I’m not sure about this.

I’m a complete noob with linux and mt-daapd. I did have the exact same machine running firefly on windows xp, but windows kept flaking out and I hated having to keep restarting the pc. I’ve tried turning off the firewall on my wireless router (SMC WBR14g) but this makes no difference. I had no firewall issues when running firefly under windows xp.

Does anyone have an idea why mt-daapd is no longer seen by the roku after being able to play initially? Is this similar to gidonk’s problem, as he too did not show Bonjour Service as running? Do I have network problem, although I am able to serve music to the roku initially?

Thanks for you help.

rpedde
    Participant

@samleemd wrote:

Does anyone have an idea why mt-daapd is no longer seen by the roku after being able to play initially? Is this similar to gidonk’s problem, as he too did not show Bonjour Service as running? Do I have network problem, although I am able to serve music to the roku initially?

The “webpage showing not running” thing is a bug.

When you can see the server when the clients are on and the server is started, but then they fall off later, that’s almost always a firewall issue on the server. It’s allowing outbound multicast traffic (the pre-caching announcements of service start), but when devices later query for the service, the server doesn’t see the queries, and conseqently doesn’t respond, and so the server gets dropped from the browse list.

You’ll probably also notice it might be working for some period of time, then you start iTunes and it gets dropped from the soundbridge. Same thing. iTunes starts, looks for the server, doesn’t get a response and the soundbridge notices it and decides the server must be dead (even though it’s playing music from it).

To fix, see if the firewall on your server has an option to enable multicast traffic. If not, try allowing traffic to 224.0.0.251 on port 5353. If that doesn’t work, try disabling the firewall altogether just to verify that’s the culprit.

— Ron

samleemd
    Participant

Thanks for the quick response. You were absolutely correct. My server is running great.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • The forum ‘Nightlies Feedback’ is closed to new topics and replies.