Supported by Apple?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Ganges

Hey guys,

Is this project in any way supported by Apple? Did they release any code to get this started?

I’m interested in finding out if this code will cause any legal issues when released in a commercial product.

Check out this product as an example: http://www.thecus.com/products_over.php?cid=1&pid=1

I don’t know if they are using the same code but they openly mention iTunes support on their website. Is this legal?

grommet
    Participant

DAAP as seen in mt-daapd/Firefly was “reverse engineered” and has no Apple involvement.

I doubt anyone here is going to give you legal advice about usage in a commercial product. 😀

Apple has commercially licensed the DAAP protocol in a few cases. For example, Roku… for use in their SoundBridge product. But most implemenations you see are based on reverse engineering of the protocol.

rpedde
    Participant

@Ganges wrote:

Is this project in any way supported by Apple? Did they release any code to get this started?

Nope. Never word one from apple.

Check out this product as an example: http://www.thecus.com/products_over.php?cid=1&pid=1

That *is* firefly/mt-daapd. Your requirements for using this code is based on the license it is released under — the GPL (ASPL for the apple mdns responder).

You’ll want to consult your lawyer, of course.

I don’t know if they are using the same code but they openly mention iTunes support on their website. Is this legal?

So long as they comply with the terms of the licensing, I don’t see why not. I’m the only one with standing to sue, and I view it as within the license agreement. Same thing with linksys, or any of the number of others that bundle mt-daapd/firefly in their nas hardware. Now, if they modified it and refused to release the modified code, that would be another thing altogether.

— Ron

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.