sub folders ?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    eddieb
    Participant

In iTunes it is possible to make subfolders in the playlists …
    It would be nice if I could do so in mt-daapd.playlist …

CCRDude
    Participant

I think that there already have been topics about this ๐Ÿ™‚

And I think if this will be implemented, it won’t be in mt-daapd.playlist, which is an old format of the stables, but in the sqlite database used by newer versions.

rpedde
    Participant

I’m not even sure if iTunes does this. Anyone have enough machines to test it?

CCRDude
    Participant

I don’t think this is about grouping servers/machines in groups (for testing that, we would have enough machines, but I doubt iTunes would support it as you said), but about grouping playlists in groups.

This is something iTunes allows since 5.x I think. Folders can even be recursive, and shown over the network. Oh, and each folder shows the contents of all contained playlists.

There has been another topic here, but your question remained unanswered:
    http://mt-daapd.org/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&Itemid=40&func=view&id=1894&catid=7

Regarding that question: yes, folders are not only shown locally, but over the network, and are recursive (otherwise I would have suggested simply adding a folder VARCHAR(64) or similar to the playlists table ๐Ÿ˜‰ , but that way, we would need either a separate table for the folder structure, or a full path in the playlists table. Not sure which one would work easier in your code).

eddieb
    Participant

If I share my iTunes library with subfolders, that subfolders are shown over the network. So, indeed it would be nice if mt-daapd would support something like that.

velociped
    Participant

Now, I am confused…

Are you asking whether mt-daapd supports the nested playlists introduced in iTunes 5.x or whether it is able to parse multiple subfolders within the library directory tree?

–Herman

eddieb
    Participant

velociped wrote:

Now, I am confused…

Are you asking whether mt-daapd supports the nested playlists introduced in iTunes 5.x or whether it is able to parse multiple subfolders within the library directory tree?

–Herman

I would like to see the 1st…

Parsing multiple subfolders allready works …

rpedde
    Participant

k. If iTunes can do it, mt-daapd can do it.

How to configure that, though? Any ideas?

eddieb
    Participant

as iTunes does it in creating a “folder” in the playlist, doing something like that in the mt-daapd.playlist should do.

MySubFolder {

MyArtist1 {
    path contains …
    }

MyArtist2 {
    path contains ….
    }

}

Post edited by: eddieb, at: 2005/10/28 07:01

CCRDude
    Participant

But the playlist file is outdated ๐Ÿ˜‰
    It’s now in a sqlite database…

I could think of two ways:

1. A new field “folder VARCHAR(255)” in the “playlists” table, with values like:
    “My Folder”
    “My FolderMy Subfolder”

or

2. A new table “folders” with “id UNSIGNED INT(10)”, “folder VARCHAR(255)”, “parentid UNSIGNED INT(10)”, and a field “folderid UNSIGNED INT(10)” inside the “playlists table”.

Which way to go would depend on the way iTunes does receive this information from the server. Since I don’t know this, I’ve started writing a mini-daap-client (only browsing) for myself, but I didn’t get the validation to work with the original iTunes yet (no problem with mt-daapd ๐Ÿ˜‰ ), and I can’t run Ethereal since I have no x64 WinPCap yet, so from the little things I’ve seen in the documentation only, I can guess it’s hidden somewhere in /databases/[num]/containers. Someone doing some packet sniffing on iTunes 5.x+ connecting should be able to get the necessary information…

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 21 total)
  • The forum ‘Feature Requests’ is closed to new topics and replies.