You are here: Home » Topic » Streaming Mt-daapd to Soundbridge – iTunes playlists problem

Streaming Mt-daapd to Soundbridge – iTunes playlists problem

FireFly Media Server (formerly mt-daapd) Firefly Media Server Forums Firefly Media Server General Discussion Streaming Mt-daapd to Soundbridge – iTunes playlists problem

This topic contains 25 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  boki 11 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Author

alan_birch
    Participant

Just hooked up a new Soundbridge M1001 and it’s pulling artist/album/song info down from the NSLU2 running Mt-daapd just fine. Songs are all pretty much playing fine.

I have ALL of my 12,000 song library encoded as ALAC (which is , IIRC). I don’t know if this may be part of my issue.

OK, so I have Firefly (web config) set up to “Process m3u files”. Now, when I go to the Smart Playlists window in the web config, all of my iTunes xml playlists show up. So do the 2 Smart Playlists I made in mt-daapd.

Anyway. All of the Smart Playlists that I make in Firefly (web config) run just fine on the Soundbridge.

BUT: All of my old iTunes playlists that mt-daapd has picked up successfully will not play thru the Soundbridge. They list on the Soundbridge “playlists” menu, but if I select one and play, it gives me a “No songs found” message.

Anyone know of the top of their head what might be the problem? Thanks in advance.

rpedde
    Participant

@alan_birch wrote:

Anyone know of the top of their head what might be the problem? Thanks in advance.

Can’t translate the path from your xml file to the path on the slug.

Either the file structure on the slug is different than the file structure that the xml file was based on, or the xml file isn’t directly above the music files in the path heirarchy.

For example… say your iTunes has an entry for:

c:musicministrypsalm 691 Jesus built my hotrod.mp3

And you copied it to the slug as:

/mnt/hdd/data/public/mp3/ministry/psalm 69/01 Jesus build my hotrod.mp3

Then everything would be okay so long as the xml file was in the mp3 folder. It would know that c:music should be replaced with /mnt/hdd/data/public/mp3

If you made a directory called “playlists” or something, and threw the xml file in there, where it wasn’t directly above the music, it won’t work.

So those are really the two things that have to happen. Same structure. xml above the music.

— Ron

alan_birch
    Participant

OK, that’s starting to make sense. Thanks.
    I had my music originally stored on my desktop computer at G:Music Library. So the path to a particular song would be:
    G:Music LibraryArtistAlbumSong
    and then I had my iTunes folder at:
    G:Music LibraryiTunes
    So it sounds like I need to rework the Slug filing and then manually edit (find and replace) in the xml file.
    I don’t have time to do it right now, but I’ll get into it later and post results.
    Thanks again for the clue…

rpedde
    Participant

@alan_birch wrote:

OK, that’s starting to make sense. Thanks.
    I had my music originally stored on my desktop computer at G:Music Library. So the path to a particular song would be:
    G:Music LibraryArtistAlbumSong
    and then I had my iTunes folder at:
    G:Music LibraryiTunes
    So it sounds like I need to rework the Slug filing and then manually edit (find and replace) in the xml file.
    I don’t have time to do it right now, but I’ll get into it later and post results.
    Thanks again for the clue…

Okay, so mt-daapd is running on the slug, right? And it’s a nightly build, right?

You copied “g:music library” right across to the slug, as /share/hdd/data/music or something, right? And now its something like:

/share/hdd/data/music/artist/album/song.m4a

Right?

If so, as long as the “Artist/Album/Song” is the same heirarchy as it was on the G drive, then you should be okay. Just copy the .xml file to the “music” folder — the folder right above “Artist”, it should pick it up okay.

— Ron.

Oh. Or is the G drive mapped to your slug?

If so, you could symlink /share/hdd/data/Music Library/iTunes/iTunes Music Library.xml to /share/hdd/data/Music Library/iTunes Music Library.xml

If that makes sense.

alan_birch
    Participant

OK, I’ll try that instead. Sounds easier. I’ll report back.

alan_birch
    Participant

OK…
    I moved my OLD iTunes library XML file that was located at:
    /share/hdd/data/public/Music Library/iTunes/iTunes Music Library.xml

(mind you, when the XML file was here, all of my playlists showed up in the Firefly Web Admin page AND on the Soundbridge, but the Soundbridge wouldn’t pick any songs up off of the playlists)

Anyway, I did a straight cut and paste of this file to here:
    /share/hdd/data/public/Music Library/iTunes Music Library.xml
    So now this file sits on top of where all of the song files are
    (they are located like this:
    /share/hdd/data/public/Music Library/Artist/Album/Song)

BUT
    the problem is now the playlists do not show up in the Firefly Web Admin page anymore. This is after I performed a “Start Scan” and a “Start Full Scan”.

I wonder what next.

rpedde
    Participant

@alan_birch wrote:

OK…
    I moved my OLD iTunes library XML file that was located at:
    /share/hdd/data/public/Music Library/iTunes/iTunes Music Library.xml

(mind you, when the XML file was here, all of my playlists showed up in the Firefly Web Admin page AND on the Soundbridge, but the Soundbridge wouldn’t pick any songs up off of the playlists)

Anyway, I did a straight cut and paste of this file to here:
    /share/hdd/data/public/Music Library/iTunes Music Library.xml
    So now this file sits on top of where all of the song files are
    (they are located like this:
    /share/hdd/data/public/Music Library/Artist/Album/Song)

BUT
    the problem is now the playlists do not show up in the Firefly Web Admin page anymore. This is after I performed a “Start Scan” and a “Start Full Scan”.

I wonder what next.

And the server is actually running on the slug, right?

Can you set up the server with a debug level of 9, truncate logs set to yes, and a logfile specified?

Then make it do a full scan, then shut it down, zip and email me the log file at [email protected]?

I don’t think I understand what’s up, and I might not be able to without being able to see the whole paths and stuff.

Something isn’t right.

— Ron

alan_birch
    Participant

Ron, first I want to thank you for personally helping me out with this.

I think I need to step back and pause. Because…
    I fired up the Firefly Web Admin this morning and now all of my playlists show up on the web admin page.
    So I fired up the Roku and the playlists also showed up.
    So I tried playing on of the playlists and it found all of the songs!
    So I guess that’s that, right?

Now a new question:
    Theoretically, I should be able to open up iTunes, make a new playlist, and then eventually, that will propagate down to mt-daapd and then down to the Roku, right? Similarly, if I delete a playlist in iTunes, that should also delete from mt-dappd, right?

Anyway, I’m going to play around with iTunes and see if I can get a new playlist down to the Roku.

rpedde
    Participant

@alan_birch wrote:

So I guess that’s that, right?

Sure sounds right to me. 🙂

Now a new question:
    Theoretically, I should be able to open up iTunes, make a new playlist, and then eventually, that will propagate down to mt-daapd and then down to the Roku, right? Similarly, if I delete a playlist in iTunes, that should also delete from mt-dappd, right?

I’d think probably not. I’d think that perhaps it’s getting iTunes from the copy/pasted one, so that’s not getting updated. I didn’t ever figure out if you are copying files from your windows box, of if the drive is mapped from your windows box, and your “live” iTunes Music Library.xml is the one at /share/hdd/data/public/Music Library/iTunes/iTunes Music Library.xml.

If so, then you are out of luck, as it needs to be in /share/hdd/data/public/Music Library, right? If that’s the case, then you need to symlink the “live” one to the one in Music Library. Something like this:

ln -s “/share/hdd/data/public/Music Library/iTunes/iTunes Music Library.xml” “/share/hdd/data/public/Music Library”

from a terminal on the slug should do it.

— Ron

Anyway, I’m going to play around with iTunes and see if I can get a new playlist down to the Roku.[/quote]

alan_birch
    Participant

Sorry, Ron, not to clarify.
    I’ve copied and pasted all of my songs onto a drive attached to the Slug and going from there. I know so little about LINUX that mapping symlinks is waaaay beyond me. And I’m not really interested in that anyway.

What I am trying to do is get my music from my desktop down onto a lower powered, always-on server and then streaming through the house with the Roku serving as the front end. It’s easy enough to use that the wifey can feel comfortable with it.

I’d like to control detail of the music library with iTunes. I’ve changed my iTunes around to use the library saved on the Slug. So I’m going on faith that as I add new songs, create and change playlists, etc. etc. that mt-daapd will pick it all up and roll it down to the Roku.

If that’s how it all ends up working out, then I will have successfully “digitized” all of my family’s music and implemented a solution that everyone can feel comfortable with. For less than $400. Joy!

rpedde
    Participant

@alan_birch wrote:

I’d like to control detail of the music library with iTunes. I’ve changed my iTunes around to use the library saved on the Slug. So I’m going on faith that as I add new songs, create and change playlists, etc. etc. that mt-daapd will pick it all up and roll it down to the Roku.

Gotcha. I think what you’ll find is that the “live” iTunes Music Library.xml (which is the one that gets changed when you modify playlists) is going to live in your “My Music” folder on your windows machine. Since that isn’t on your slug, your slug probably won’t pick it up unless that file gets moved or copied to the slug.

You can manually do that, or maybe set up a batch file or some kind of script to do that whenever you log on or log off or something of that nature.

On the other hand, if you did that by changing your “my music” folder to be on the G drive, it might actually work. So I guess it kind of depends on how you have redirected your iTunes library to determine how it will work.

My guess, though, is that it probably wont, without manually copying the iTunes xml file.

— Ron

alan_birch
    Participant

OK, well iTunes is totally ticking me off.
    I don’t understand why I cannot designate where it reads the “iTunes Music Library” xml file from.
    I want to open up iTunes and it picks up all of the library data from the Slug. That way, if I lose whatever computer I’m using, all of my music library, files, and data is still safe at home on the slug.
    Arrrgh.
    Couple of questions about the mt-daapd software (w/ firefly):
    1. What is the Playlist File? What does it do? I assume that is where the “smart” playlists are stored?
    2. What is the Compilations Folder?

alan_birch
    Participant

Let me attempt to step back and look at the bigger picture, maybe there’s another way…

I want to keep all of my music on a network server. This is currently an unslung NSLU2, with an unslung USB stick, and an attacted HD. All of the music files are on this HD.
    I want to serve these music files to a Roku Soundbridge. I’d like some playlists that will help the wifey sort through music.
    Currently, I really like to create playlists and otherwise organize my library with iTunes, it’s very easy to use (on the front end).
    What I’d hope to do is:

1. Import CD-ROMs using iTunes and ALAC, saving them to my iTunes Music folder (set in iTunes preferences), which is currently:
    \MediaSlugdisk 1Music Library
    and organized so that iTunes sees my files like this:
    \MediaSlugdisk 1Music LibraryArtistAlbumsong.m4a

2. Wifey uses a different login on the same computer. Her iTunes would reference the same music files on the Slug. Preferrably, she would save out her own playlists, and not see mine in iTunes, but I suppose that’d be asking too much. A compromise we’d both settle for is to open the same iTunes Music Library.xml and edit our playlists (and ratings, and tags, etc) together.

3. Somehow transfer our iTunes playlists from iTunes to the Soundbridge. Preferrably automatically. Hence, if I make a new smart iTunes playlist that only plays songs with titles containing the letter “Z”, then the Soundbridge would automatically see that new playlist. What happens in between is not important to me. Is this somehow possible?

4. If it’s not possible, then I’m not entire opposed to creating a windows scheduled task that daily “backs up” the iTunes Music Library.xml file from whatever location it has to live at to:
    \MediaSlugdisk 1Music LibraryiTunes Music Library.xml
    I suppose that would work.

5. However, it seems like the solution I want is for iTunes to open up, reference the iTunes Music Library.xml that is located at the top level of the MediaSlugdisk 1Music Library and go from there. Is it not possible to instruct iTunes to do this? Currently, the iTunes Music Library.xml file lives at
    My Computer/My Documents/My Music/iTunes
    and I cannot figure out how to move it…

Arrrrgh!

How is this working out for anyone else?
    Thanks for all of the help.

CCRDude
    Participant

1. What is the Playlist File? What does it do? I assume that is where the “smart” playlists are stored?

They were in an old version. Now these are stored inside the database, so that field is no longer important… imho… but why is it still there in the config? Hmmm 😉

2. What is the Compilations Folder?

iTunes is able to display compilations separately (there’s an option somewhere where you can tell it to list artists from compilations sa “Compilations” or “Various Artists” or something, so the Artist overview isn’t too filled with artists with just a single song. If you have all compilations in such a subfolder, enter that one here, and iTunes will be able to do that handling with Firefly as well. Quite useful imho 🙂

As for the other stuff… tagging, I do with a completely separate application (TagsRevisited and ID3TagIT). Ripping I do use FLAC or MP3, not ALAC, using CDex (maybe will try EAC = ExactAudioCopy instead). Those are Windows solutions though.

Oh, and playlists… smart playlists through Fireflys web interface, and a few static ones, generated through (shame on me!) Slimserver.

alan_birch
    Participant

Compilations: I have a LOT!
    So the problem is that I’m not sure if its possible to get the Soundbridge to recognize.
    All of my compilations are here:
    /share/hdd/data/public/Music Library/Compilations/Album Name/Song.m4a
    So my question about the Firefly settings:
    Do I set this as the compilation directory?
    Do I “Group Compilations” setting, even if my compilations are NOT in a “Various Artists” folder?

And to the previous poster that suggests FLAC: Sorry, no dice for me. I need to use ALAC in order to remain compatible with my iPods. And yes, I usually digitize my CDs with EAC and then use iTunes to convert to ALAC.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)

The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.