Streaming from FireFly to Apple TV

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Hello,

I am a fan of FireFly, it’s a really great idea!!!

I am asking you if it’s possible to stream music from a firefly server on an ubuntu server to an Apple TV? And if it’s possible how?

Thanks

fizze
    Participant

There’s been a thread where we discussed the features of NitoTV, an awesome plugin for appleTV. This plugin enables, amongst others, the features you so desire.
    You don’t even need firefly then, you can simply access the NFS or SMB share of your ubuntu PC.

Check it out:
    http://forums.fireflymediaserver.org/viewtopic.php?t=7304

Anonymous
    Inactive

Yes the NitoTV plugin is a way to solve my problem but I don’t want to open my apple tv to patch it…
    (I think that I must do it in order to put the plugin inside my Apple TV)
    This is why I think that the Firefly way is a better one.

fizze
    Participant

You don’t have to open it.
    There is way to install it by booting from a special usb-stick. ITs fully automated, actually. πŸ˜‰

Anyway, firefly can stream m4v,mp4 video files too, so if the apple TV can access iTunes shared videos, then it should pickup firefly too. (Not sure about that either)

I think the appleTV is a really nice device, and personally think of getting one. So please keep me (and the rest of the gang here) informed about any progress or caveats πŸ™‚

Anonymous
    Inactive

I have seen the method to enable the SSH access to the apple TV, but it uses a special kernel of the ATV and after the operation you can’t upgrade your ATV… πŸ™
    That’s why I would like to use the streaming functionnality of the device with FireFly server but with the current version of ATV I can’t do it or I don’t know how. But the next updage with the “rental movies” will may be allow to stream shared music!!! I hope so πŸ™‚ unless I think that it will be in a long time in France…

Thanks, I’ll keep you informed!

rpedde
    Participant

@mickno wrote:

I have seen the method to enable the SSH access to the apple TV, but it uses a special kernel of the ATV and after the operation you can’t upgrade your ATV… πŸ™
    That’s why I would like to use the streaming functionnality of the device with FireFly server but with the current version of ATV I can’t do it or I don’t know how. But the next updage with the “rental movies” will may be allow to stream shared music!!! I hope so πŸ™‚ unless I think that it will be in a long time in France…

Thanks, I’ll keep you informed!

The short answer is no. The appletv doesn’t want to play music from anything other than an iTunes client. The setup between the appletv and the itunes client is encrypted and not easily duplicable. And even if the secret key were discovered, apple would break it next release. So in short, apple discourages it, and so it isn’t worth pursuing.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    Anonymous
    Inactive

http://dacp.jsharkey.org/

The above should contain everything needed to make itunes remote work with firefly, and vice versa (most likely), firefly work with appletv

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.