You are here: Home » Topic » Sources into libraries ?

Sources into libraries ?

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  sansp00 10 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #1261

    sansp00
    Participant

    I took a look at the code this past week-end because I wanted to try out some stuff I started to work on.

    I was surprised at how clean the code was (grats to the programmers!) but I was also surprised that everything was as a big ‘blob’ of files. I had expected libraries for stuff like the os specifics, traces, databases and so on to reduce source dependencies and ease the maintenance.

    Am I picky or is this something planned and feasible for Firefly ?
    Patrick S.

    #9968

    rpedde
    Participant

    @sansp00 wrote:

    I took a look at the code this past week-end because I wanted to try out some stuff I started to work on.

    I was surprised at how clean the code was (grats to the programmers!) but I was also surprised that everything was as a big ‘blob’ of files. I had expected libraries for stuff like the os specifics, traces, databases and so on to reduce source dependencies and ease the maintenance.

    Am I picky or is this something planned and feasible for Firefly ?
    Patrick S.

    Two things, really.

    One is that if you look at 0.2.4 and then look at nightlies, you’ll see that there is a lot more code. A lot. Mostly it just grew, and now it is kind of a mess, needs to be refactored, etc.

    I’m trying to do that by modularizing everything. I figure if I move it into plugins, it increases the ability of others to hack it as well as more clearly defining functional boundaries.

    it’s not done yet. The db stuff it the stuff that’s most in need of modularizing, but I haven’t really figured out how I want to handle playlists and stuff yet, so I haven’t tackled it yet.

    I expect that stuff will become better abstracted, and I hope that if I can get a scripting plugin done, then much of the code can be moved to a scripted plugin and simplified. That’s the plan, anyway.

    #9969

    sansp00
    Participant

    @rpedde wrote:

    One is that if you look at 0.2.4 and then look at nightlies, you’ll see that there is a lot more code. A lot. Mostly it just grew, and now it is kind of a mess, needs to be refactored, etc.

    Yup, I kind of noticed 😯

    @rpedde wrote:

    I’m trying to do that by modularizing everything. I figure if I move it into plugins, it increases the ability of others to hack it as well as more clearly defining functional boundaries.

    That was the point, I wanted to add a auto Shoutcast url importer ( ala/inspired by Twonky ) and after I’m at ease mess around and figure out a viable ‘solution’ to integrate Last.FM.

    @rpedde wrote:

    I expect that stuff will become better abstracted, and I hope that if I can get a scripting plugin done, then much of the code can be moved to a scripted plugin and simplified. That’s the plan, anyway.

    I remember some posts on that … I guess I’ll have to wait for this to really get my hands dirty 🙁

    It took me around 3~4 hours to be comfortable around the code and kinda know my way around. But trying to pull some functionality out for other uses is starting to mess with my head.

    I found it easier to add directly into FF than to reuse some code outside (as standalone). The problem to add directly is that I am afraid to break other code vs playing in my own little sandbox. But that’s just me …

    Patrick S.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.