Soundbridge, Firefly Issues

• This topic has 10 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 16 years ago by brough.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

I’ve come over from the Roku forum where I wasn’t getting answers and got recommended to come here and see if ‘Ron’ could help me???

I have soundbridge M1001, and using Itunes 7 through Firefly.
    Everything used to work fine with my own router, but it was overheating so i needed a new one – I got a 2Wire Gateway(2701HG-B Gateway ), which comes from ATT my broadband provider.

I’ve turned off all firewall and anti virus for the purpose of eliminating possible issues.

I can successfully connect to the Internet and listen to Internet radio through my soundbridge. Both wireless and wired.

I can see my firefly library, but it won’t let me connect to it. There is no password etc.

My router does not seem to support UPNP. I also checked regarding the following settings but none of these are supported. This is a brand new router and also must be popular because it is resold through AT&T

UPNP – enable
    -Multicast or IGMP – enable
    -Filter Multicast – disable
    -WMM – disable
    -AP Isolation – disable

I have tried every combination of wired and wireless. No luck.

So I am stuck with a soundbridge that is a paperweight. Can anyone here help or suggest anything to get me moving back to where I was before I changed routers!

rpedde
    Participant

@gooders wrote:

I’ve come over from the Roku forum where I wasn’t getting answers and got recommended to come here and see if ‘Ron’ could help me???

I have soundbridge M1001, and using Itunes 7 through Firefly.
    Everything used to work fine with my own router, but it was overheating so i needed a new one – I got a 2Wire Gateway(2701HG-B Gateway ), which comes from ATT my broadband provider.

I’ve turned off all firewall and anti virus for the purpose of eliminating possible issues.

I can successfully connect to the Internet and listen to Internet radio through my soundbridge. Both wireless and wired.

I can see my firefly library, but it won’t let me connect to it. There is no password etc.

My router does not seem to support UPNP. I also checked regarding the following settings but none of these are supported. This is a brand new router and also must be popular because it is resold through AT&T

UPNP – enable
    -WMM – disable
    -AP Isolation – disable

I have tried every combination of wired and wireless. No luck.

So I am stuck with a soundbridge that is a paperweight. Can anyone here help or suggest anything to get me moving back to where I was before I changed routers!

Okay. So you run firefly on a machine that’s wired, and hook the roku up wired and it still doesn’t see it?

Then it has to be the router blocking multicast. Particularly if it worked before swapping out the router.

You said your wireless device didn’t have support for upnp, but you showed it in the list anyway. Did you actually see options for multicast or mutlicast filtering in the router?

If so, you might try reversing the settings of those one at a time (4 combinations) and trying after each setting change.

Do you have a mac, or a pc?

Anonymous
    Inactive

@rpedde wrote:

Okay. So you run firefly on a machine that’s wired, and hook the roku up wired and it still doesn’t see it?

It sees it, but I can’t connect to it.

@rpedde wrote:

Then it has to be the router blocking multicast. Particularly if it worked before swapping out the router.

That’s my suspicion

@rpedde wrote:

You said your wireless device didn’t have support for upnp, but you showed it in the list anyway. Did you actually see options for multicast or mutlicast filtering in the router?

If so, you might try reversing the settings of those one at a time (4 combinations) and trying after each setting change.

I might have confused you here because I wasn’t very articulate. What i pasted below was the settings I was told to config my router to by the Roku guys. But i couldn’t find ANY of these options on my router admin page. I contacted them and they told me they didn’t support UPNP, Multicast or IGMP, WMM or AP Isolation!! So I couldn’t change anything.

“Roku Recommended Settings”
    UPNP – enable
    -WMM – disable
    -AP Isolation – disable

@rpedde wrote:

Do you have a mac, or a pc?

PC unfortunately

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

rpedde
    Participant

@gooders wrote:

@rpedde wrote:

It sees it, but I can’t connect to it.

Okay, that’s something. Let’s try and fix that and see if it fixes the wireless issue (I don’t know how likely that is, but it’s worth a shot).

If you see it but can’t connect from the roku, the best test is to see if you can connect to he web page with a browser. If you have a second pc (or laptop), try going to http://server.ip.address:9999 and see if you get a web page served up. It will probably ask for a password, and if so, then it’s a good indication that the daap server is running.

If you aren’t using svn-1586, then grab that from http://nightlies.fireflymediaserver.org.

Does this machine have anything strange going on networking-wise? Does it have more than one ethernet connection? Does it have any vpn interfaces (hamachi, cisco vpn, anything like that)?

But i couldn’t find ANY of these options on my router admin page. I contacted them and they told me they didn’t support UPNP, Multicast or IGMP, WMM or AP Isolation!! So I couldn’t change anything.

Hrm. that sounds strange. You’d think they would be getting beat up by iTunes users if that were the case.

— Ron

Anonymous
    Inactive

@rpedde wrote:

If you see it but can’t connect from the roku, the best test is to see if you can connect to he web page with a browser. If you have a second pc (or laptop), try going to http://server.ip.address:9999 and see if you get a web page served up. It will probably ask for a password, and if so, then it’s a good indication that the daap server is running.

Ok so when you say server IP, I am presuming you mean the ip of my main desktop comp that I have firefly running on? If so then I tried entering that and no luck. It times out when trying to access from my laptop.

When I enter it on the desktop I get the prompt for the password as you mentioned.

On my laptop I also entered the IP address for the Roku and it successfully connects to the roku.

Does that help diagnose?

Something I had forgot to add. It does see my firefly media server until i open Itunes. Then it see both my Itunes library and my firefly media! weird?? Not sure if that just confuses things 🙂

@rpedde wrote:

If you aren’t using svn-1586, then grab that from http://nightlies.fireflymediaserver.org.

I’ve downloaded that so I have latest version.

rpedde
    Participant

@gooders wrote:

@rpedde wrote:

Ok so when you say server IP, I am presuming you mean the ip of my main desktop comp that I have firefly running on? If so then I tried entering that and no luck. It times out when trying to access from my laptop.

Well, that’s something. What’s the ip of the machine firefly is running on, and what’s the ip of your laptop. Can you ping the server from your laptop? Have you turned off the firewall on the pc server?

dondempsey

Hi ,
    I have posted the following in the Roku forum and in desperation am repeating the posting here. Sorry to be a pain but I really do like Firefly!

“I have had my Pinnacle Soundbridge M1001 for some time now and after playing with a number of media servers I finally determined that Firefly was for me. I use an ancient Tosh notebook running windows 2000 Pro as a music server. There is nothing else on this machine except Firefly V1.0 and some maintenance utilities (Diskeeper, Reg Mechanic). The router I used was a Netgear 824 plugged into a seperate ADSL Modem – and it worked beautifully
    And now the pain starts! – I switched ISP to Orange due to dissatifaction with Pipex and the fact that Orange do a better deal on the phone connection/2nd line. Since switching to the Livebox I have been completely unable to access my media via Firefly.
    I am using the latest Roku firmware 3.0.51. The latest firmware for the LIvebox (updated today) and Firefly 1629.
    The Soundbridge can play Internet Radio including all the BBC feeds (no Problem). But it cannot see the Music Server.
    If I use Tversity, Twonkyvision OR Windows Media Player it all works.
    The snag is that these mnedia servers compared to Firefly are not in the same league for speed or the Roku interface.
    If I reintroduce the Netgear Router again it all works BUT I lose the phone facility and am not really happy doing this.
    I have spoken to Orange support (a most unproductive and frustrating experience) – I have looked at the Firefly Forums and apart from some talk about Multicast (which I don’t really understand) there seems to a be a lot of fud around this issue with no one able to offer any real solutions. I have also tried everything with my main XP based system (as opposed to the 2000Pro) and that is no different.

Can someone please help – I have just paid out more money for the latest version of Twonkyvision and I still don’t like it!

Sorry about the length of the posting but I am getting fairly fraught.”

gurgel2
    Participant

sounds like that Livebox does something to the bonjour messaging done by Firefly. (multicast discovery). I mean.. if it shows up with the netgear.. and when using the Livebox (what brand is that?) only firlefly wont work. The other mediaservers you mention use multicast, atleast windows media connect.

rpedde
    Participant

@gurgel2 wrote:

sounds like that Livebox does something to the bonjour messaging done by Firefly. (multicast discovery). I mean.. if it shows up with the netgear.. and when using the Livebox (what brand is that?) only firlefly wont work. The other mediaservers you mention use multicast, atleast windows media connect.

wmc does use multicast. But it might be that the livebox uses a simple multicast proxy or a upnp proxy rather than a general-purpose igmp daemon, and it doesnt’ understand anything else.

But if the linksys works, why not use it? Just don’t connect the ethernet side. Plug the “inside” side of it into your network, and use the wireless offered by it for the soundbridge, but dont’ connect anything into the “wan” side — use it simply as an access point that works with multicast. 🙂

— Ron

Bellerophon

I am new to this forum and indeed the world of tech forums generally but find myself here as a result of buying a Soundbridge. I am not a techie but from the Roku forums and also here on Firefly it seems that the router can be a problem in getting the Soundbridge to see and play a Firefly library from iTunes – which is what I want to do. I have followed this thread and have been able to reach (but not log onto since no password) the http://serverIPaddress:999 address which shows me a access denied svn 1586 page – both from my PC and a laptop. It appears that this means that the Firefly server has been set up OK.

I also have a Livebox (Inventel) router supplied by Orange in the UK. As I dont know much about networks, can someone please confirm if I have understood correctly:

– My Livebox router/ADSL modem may not have the multicast configuration option which would allow me to adjust it to allow Firefly/Bonjour to function as they need to on my wireless network. The online router configuration for the Livebox certainly makes no reference to the settings suggested by the Roku guys.

– If this is the case, I can replace the Livebox with a more suitable router/modem, OR I could continue to use the Livebox but simply as a modem (keeping access to the useful second phone line as Dondempsey observes), and connect another wireless router to the ethernet connection on the Livebox, effectively running two parallel wireless networks but only using one (the one which will work with Firefly)

Am I right? or have I completely missed the point here? Any pointers much welcomed, thanks.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 11 total)
  • The forum ‘Setup Issues’ is closed to new topics and replies.