Something Happened–Now Getting and Empty Playlist

FireFly Media Server Firefly Media Server Forums Firefly Media Server Setup Issues Something Happened–Now Getting and Empty Playlist

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    bbjonz
    Participant

Hi Everyone,

Firefly was running great on my Ubuntu server (dapper drake) but for some reason (from what I can tell) mt-daapd stopped. I restarted it and now it shows an empty playlist in iTunes (on the Mac I am accessing firefly from). The songs are on the server where they are supposed to be but other than that, nothing. This is true also of the config page on the server box–it shows 0 tunes in the library but indicates otherwise that all is well. Anyone have any clues? What other info can I provide?

Thanks in advance.

Joe

bbjonz
    Participant

Otay–found the problem. I changed permissions on the music folder (which is not under root) from 777 to just read privileges for others and group. Dumb. On the other hand, this brings up another question–what’s the best way to set up the folders? Should it be under root (probably not) or should I arrange permissions a bit differently?

Joe

rpedde
    Participant

@bbjonz wrote:

Otay–found the problem. I changed permissions on the music folder (which is not under root) from 777 to just read privileges for others and group. Dumb. On the other hand, this brings up another question–what’s the best way to set up the folders? Should it be under root (probably not) or should I arrange permissions a bit differently?

Joe

Read only is fine, but remember the “execute” bit on folders is the “allow descent into folder” bit. If it isn’t a+x, then the server can’t enumerate the items in the folder.

So you want 755 on folders and 644 on files. You can always use find and xargs or someting like that to make it easier:

find . -type d -exec chmod 2775 {} ;
    find . -type f -exec chmod 664 {} ;

or

find . -type d -print | xargs -n1 chmod 2775
    find . -type f -print | xargs -n1 chmod 664

Or something of that nature.

— Ron

bbjonz
    Participant

…my heartfelt thanks!

Joe

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘Setup Issues’ is closed to new topics and replies.