Some Songs missing in Playlists

• This topic has 8 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 17 years ago by Anonymous.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

hi,

i copied the iTunes xml-library to the “root”-dir of my mp3’s on the server (NLSU2) where firefly is running. on the first view everything looks fine:

all playlists are listest in i-tunes “shares music” the main folder (“Mp3’s on NSLU”) shows the same trackamount then my local lib does. so i suggested all mp3’s where found, and all pathes seem to be correct.

but when i take a closer look to some of the playlists (now all shown as static ones) i miss some songs.

does anybody has an idea what could be wrong.
    thanks in advance

Star

Hi Andiy

Try having a look at the Firefly log file to check that the path for the missing songs is accessible. I’ve notices some differences between valid paths as interpreted by iTunes and Firefly running on a LinkStation, and this could possibly be the problem you are experiencing.

fizze
    Participant

One cause might be the filesystem’s character set.
    Special characters are interpreted differently on windows (NTFS), mac (HFS) or Linux (ext2/3) machines, for instance.

So if you do have some special characters within your filepaths (could be as simple as a hyphen, let alone ä, ß, Ø, etc)

Anonymous
    Inactive

hi,

thanks for this information. i thought so too, but in the “main”-list (the firefly-share appearing in itunes) i can see all (4368) songs, but in some playlists some are missing. so if the char-set is not correct, why do these songs appear in the main-list but not in the other play-lists ?
    and yes, i do have songs with chars like ö,ä,ü,ß,… and i’m working on cleaning them up, but some missing songs i’ve checked, do definitely not contain any special chars.

???

fizze
    Participant

Well, the main “playlist” is a playlist that contains all songs in the iTunes.xml ?
    Or is it just firefly’s “browse songs” ?

rpedde
    Participant

@andiy wrote:

hi,

thanks for this information. i thought so too, but in the “main”-list (the firefly-share appearing in itunes) i can see all (4368) songs, but in some playlists some are missing. so if the char-set is not correct, why do these songs appear in the main-list but not in the other play-lists ?
    and yes, i do have songs with chars like ö,ä,ü,ß,… and i’m working on cleaning them up, but some missing songs i’ve checked, do definitely not contain any special chars.

???

Because they match by name. So when it does a scan of the file system, it will find the codepage named file. Then, when it sees a reference to the file in the iTunes playlist, it’s utf-8. So it can’t find the file in the database — they have different file names.

Easiest fix is to switch your fs to utf8 on the slug, but a workaround would be for me to implement codepage switching on the server, so it would store filenames as utf8 in the db itself.

fizze
    Participant

well, regarding a DB in UTF8, this is a pretty hefty enterprise.
    Building it again from scratch is te only viable option here imo.

Converting from one charset to another IS not trivial.

Not in Oracle, at least… 😉

rpedde
    Participant

@fizze wrote:

well, regarding a DB in UTF8, this is a pretty hefty enterprise.
    Building it again from scratch is te only viable option here imo.

Converting from one charset to another IS not trivial.

Not in Oracle, at least… 😉

Not the db, the file system. If you set your file system to utf-8, then everything automatically works.

Anonymous
    Inactive

do you have a quick info on who to do this on a slug-box?
    there is no i18n-file like on other linux-boxes.
    but don’t worry, i will have a look at the unslung-forum

thanks anyway

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The forum ‘Setup Issues’ is closed to new topics and replies.