Some feedback on 1130

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    schiers
    Participant

Hi,

just some notes on experience with 1130. I wanted to check out on transcoding also for the first time. As usual, I didn’t read carefully through the notes on the nightlies page. So, for those carefully reading here, there was a post initially where I expressed that I have no idea what to do.

But after a while I read about the plugin statement on script based transcoding and this implied for me to specifiy ssc-ffmpeg.so in the plugins statement of the config file.

In order to compile, I had to install svn and download the svn of ffmpeg. The Debian packages will produce an error. I also noticed after half an hor of research on an unresolved symbol, that I had to select –enable-shared on the config of ffmpeg.

I compiled mt-daapd with

./configure --enable-sqlite --enable-oggvorbis --enable-flac --enable-ffmpeg --with-ffmpeg-includes=/usr/local/include/ffmpeg --with-ffmpeg-libs=/usr/local/lib

and then it run without problems. I was able to connect with iTunes and play flac but no wma.

Session 0: Streaming file 'Supertramp - Even in the Quietest Moments.wma' to 192.168.9.7 (offset 0)
    2006-05-29 20:41:19: Error opening /srv/music/Supertramp - The Very Best of Supertramp 2/Supertramp - Even in the Quietest Moments.wma for ssc: Cannot open file

On my Soundbridge, with DAAP and RSP protocol, it will buffer flac, but will not play. It will reject to play wma with the same logged message as above.

Funny enough, I remember that when I didn’t have the ffmpeg plugin running (due to the fact that I hadn’t compiled shared libs), the Soundbridge played wma. Also, I have wma as extension but not as ssc_codectype specified.

What I don’t understand at all is the fact that this version seems to be a bit more stable with respect to the mDNS problem I have (see other post) and which we think is related to the Soundbridge. But I will not complain and not cheer until it will connect w/o reboot tomorrow morning 8).

Hope this helps,
    Carsten.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I just upgraded from 909 to 1130. Web page loads ok, but…

– no scan on startup like usual
    – applet cannot connect to server
    – soundbridge cannot connect to server
    – when the server started, nothing was added to the log file
    – some of the information on the config page is correct, some is wrong. For example, port number is correct but MP3 location is wrong.

Running SuSE 9.2. Installation:

./configure –enable-sqlite
    make
    make install
    /etc/init.d/mt-daapd restart

Andy

schiers
    Participant

Andy,

you might have your config file overwritten by the “make install”. This is really annoying, but it’s what Ron does 8).

And I fall into that trap evry two or three nightlies.

When you change it back, I am pretty sure it works for you.

BR,
    Carsten.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I tried 1082 and I got the same result. So I tried 909 again.

Even though it does appear my .conf file was overwritten, wihout modifying it version 909 works fine. It scans on startup and I can connect to it with my Soundbridge.

Weirdly – even though the location of mp3s has reverted to /mnt/mp3, which is not where I have them, and the name of the server has reverted back to mt-daapd, which is not what I had it set to, my Soundbridge still shows the name of the server I was using and can still play the MP3s…

Andy

rpedde
    Participant

@ajayre wrote:

I tried 1082 and I got the same result. So I tried 909 again.

Even though it does appear my .conf file was overwritten, wihout modifying it version 909 works fine. It scans on startup and I can connect to it with my Soundbridge.

Weirdly – even though the location of mp3s has reverted to /mnt/mp3, which is not where I have them, and the name of the server has reverted back to mt-daapd, which is not what I had it set to, my Soundbridge still shows the name of the server I was using and can still play the MP3s…

Andy

It’s reading the config file wherever it’s installed. If you installed it to /usr/local, it’s reading the config file in /usr/local/etc, not /etc.

Look at the config page, it will tell you what config file it’s reading.

I’m still trying to figure out what causes me the least amount of support, putting a runnable config in the place that someone asked for it to be, and setting the default config path to there, or not installing a config file at all, and have people confused because they don’t know what they installed where.

The way it is right now has the advantage that make; make install makes a runnable system without having to muck with anything. Maybe thats a misfeature, though.

— Ron

Anonymous
    Inactive

The config page in 909 is broken, so I’ll try reinstalling one of the newer versions a bit later and see.

How about checking for mt-daapd.conf being already installed? If it is then don’t overwrite but print a warning saying it may need to be updated. If it isn’t then copy the default from the installation folder.

Andy

fizze
    Participant

well, I personally really like ipkg there.
    it kindly asks you what to do, when a newer file is found, which should be overwritten. 😉

RokuMikeC

@fizze wrote:

well, I personally really like ipkg there.
    it kindly asks you what to do, when a newer file is found, which should be overwritten. 😉

That makes sense for a packaging system but it would feel odd to me for “make install” to start asking questions.

Perhaps I’m missing the obvious having only just thought about this but how about

1. Copy the default configuration file to the correct directory but call it mt-daapd.conf.dist.

2. If mt-daapd.conf does not exist copy mt-daapd.conf.dist to mt-daapd.conf.

This means that if the user doesn’t have an existing configuration they will get something to start from. If they do then it won’t be overwritten but the latest configuration file will be conveniently available for reference.

fizze
    Participant

good idea.

The checking and copying could easily be taken care of in the init-script.

I like that.

gordo
    Participant

rsp transcoding of flac is working now using ssc-script.so. I tried ffmpeg and it worked for flac but didn’t with a wma (which shouldn’t need transcode to Soundbridge). This is fine using the script.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 14 total)
  • The forum ‘Nightlies Feedback’ is closed to new topics and replies.