Some days Soundbridge sees libraries, some days it doesn’t

FireFly Media Server Firefly Media Server Forums Firefly Media Server Setup Issues Some days Soundbridge sees libraries, some days it doesn’t

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

I had my setup working fine: Soundbridge Home Music, Netgear DG834G router, Firefly svn-1586 running on Windows 2000 SP3.

Then I had to go and change things, didn’t I? I upgraded to Windows 2000 SP4 – actually I had to for other reasons. Internet radio always worked, and still does.

But now, the Soundbridge only finds libraries on some days, not others. Roughly half the time, the Soundbridge connects to the server all right; then says “Libraries offline” and goes on to tell me that it’s found incompatible libraries. I take that to mean that it’s connected to the server ok, but the server isn’t streaming any music. Restarting Firefly, restarting or power cycling the server has no effect, nor does rebooting or power cycling the router.

Some explanation on why this is a daily thing: FireFly runs off a spare PC which also handles a mail server, and general file serving for household backups etc. Both the server machine and the router run continuously for most of the day, but are shut down overnight. I’m assuming that the shut down/reboot cycle changes something which is causing this intermittent operation, but so far I haven’t been able to make a failed setup work by repeating the cycle. When it does work, I’m reluctant to try breaking it, for obvious reasons.

Any ideas would be welcome. 😕

Anonymous
    Inactive

I had the same problem for some time: sometimes Soundbridge could connect, sometimes not. I used XP SP2 and a Sweex network card.

Finanlly I bought a new networkcard (Linksys) and the problem was fixed. Since then I have no problems connecting to the Soundbridge.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks for the reply, I’ll bear it in mind. Of course, I’d rather avoid spending money if I don’t have to… 😉

I did a little more experimenting today – it wasn’t working again, and I discovered that if I restart the server PC enough times it eventually starts working. I have no idea what’s different about the times it works as opposed to the times it doesn’t, though.

Anonymous
    Inactive

your trick looks like my old trick: reinstalling the drivers. This worked also for me sometimes….. but it never fixed the problem 100%

Anonymous
    Inactive

@I wrote:

…if I restart the server PC enough times it eventually starts working.

Correction to that: all I need do is stop and restart Firefly. And it’s a toggle – if I do this to a working system, it can break it.

rpedde
    Participant

@English Bob wrote:

@I wrote:

…if I restart the server PC enough times it eventually starts working.

Correction to that: all I need do is stop and restart Firefly. And it’s a toggle – if I do this to a working system, it can break it.

Did you reinstall bonjour for windows? I wonder if the upgrade stomped on a bonjour file, as this seems to be bonjour related.

— Ron

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks Ron. I suspected some file stompage myself, and I’m fairly sure I reinstalled both Firefly and Bonjour – but I’ll retry Bonjour and see how it goes.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The forum ‘Setup Issues’ is closed to new topics and replies.