Solaris build – looking for init.d/functions folder…

FireFly Media Server Firefly Media Server Forums Firefly Media Server Setup Issues Solaris build – looking for init.d/functions folder…

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    DrLou
    Participant

All –

I’ve successfully built mt-daapd on Solaris, with prefix=/usr/local. So far, so good!

Granted, gotta do some modifications to the configuration file, but it is looking for a folder /etc/init.d/functions. Where should this be? What is it?

Or is it simply an empty folder which I should create and reference?

Thanks in advance. Lou

fizze
    Participant

Hm, functions? I guess it cant find a contrib and tries to create a kind of standard init-script. As its rather simple, you can just copy any *IX-flavoured init-script and adopt.

I havent ever heard of that /etc/init.d/functions file, but Im sure it pertains to some specific linux-flavour.
    My Ubuntu machine doesnt have that file, neither does my slug. *shrug*

What part of mt-daapd is referencing this?
    If it built successfully, is it prolly the init-script itself?

rpedde
    Participant

@DrLou wrote:

All –

I’ve successfully built mt-daapd on Solaris, with prefix=/usr/local. So far, so good!

Granted, gotta do some modifications to the configuration file, but it is looking for a folder /etc/init.d/functions. Where should this be? What is it?

Or is it simply an empty folder which I should create and reference?

Thanks in advance. Lou

That’s a redhat thing… it has the stuff for that.

Generally, to start it, start it with -c /path/to/conf/file”, and kill it with something like:

kill -TERM `cat /var/run/mt-daapd.pid`

That is, send a SIGTERM to the process in the pidfile.

You’ll want to wrap that in regular solaris init.d scripts — I don’t have any or know how the work particularly, so I might suggest modifying one of your existing startup scripts as a way to generate a startup script for it.

— Ron

DrLou
    Participant

Thanks, guys, for your feedback.

I do have a Solaris startup script – it’s working fine. I’ll happily post here when the final installation is done. I’ve used the files generated by make in the contrib folder; these include the conf, playlist and startup script files.

My question remains, though: My original build put an include statement in the startup script. This line was looking for a file at: /etc/init.d/functions

Hmmm. OK, so I created ‘functions’ as a directory –
    This caused startup to hiccup; complaining that /etc/init.d/functions is a directory.

So, I assumed it should be a file! OK, so where – and what is – this file? Does it even matter? Should I care?

If I comment this line out, startup is fine. Gotta finish setup and do some debugging.

rpedde
    Participant

@DrLou wrote:

My question remains, though: My original build put an include statement in the startup script. This line was looking for a file at: /etc/init.d/functions

Nope, that’s probably from the fact that the sample script was originally a redhat thing, and redhat bundles some utility functions in an /etc/init.d/functions file. You can safely ignore it if you dont’ have such a thing.

— Ron

DrLou
    Participant

Ok, have done a fresh rebuild using the –with-prefix option, and build now correctly provides a default .conf file with no reference to functions. So ./configure apparently does not account for this based on platform…

In any case, am now at least beginning to get the daemon to start.
    Can only do it so far as root, which clearly is not a good idea…

Will start to look at permissions next…

BTW, how does one connect to an mt-daapd server using iTunes? Is it considered a ‘stream’? (Yes, I am new to this…)

fizze
    Participant

in the iTunes preferences, under “Sharing” You can specify wether or not to “look for Shared Music”.
    Enable this, and iTunes will pick up your daap share.

rpedde
    Participant

@DrLou wrote:

In any case, am now at least beginning to get the daemon to start.
    Can only do it so far as root, which clearly is not a good idea…

It drops privs after start to the “runas” user specified in the config file.

— Ron

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The forum ‘Setup Issues’ is closed to new topics and replies.