Smart Playlists – Flag equivalents in ID tags

FireFly Media Server Firefly Media Server Forums Firefly Media Server General Discussion Smart Playlists – Flag equivalents in ID tags

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    pnnoakes
    Participant

I find the smart playlist wizard easy to use for simple set ups, but I’m unsure of what some of the options actually refer to as ID tag equivalents. eg, what do ‘description’ and ‘grouping’ pick up on in an ID tag? Do either of these point to Mood for instance?

I currently use the ‘comment’ field a lot to create more complex lists, but this requires manual entries into the track properties which is time consuming, so I’m eager to use the ‘mood’ tag if possible.

Rgds

rpedde
    Participant

@pnnoakes wrote:

I find the smart playlist wizard easy to use for simple set ups, but I’m unsure of what some of the options actually refer to as ID tag equivalents. eg, what do ‘description’ and ‘grouping’ pick up on in an ID tag? Do either of these point to Mood for instance?

I currently use the ‘comment’ field a lot to create more complex lists, but this requires manual entries into the track properties which is time consuming, so I’m eager to use the ‘mood’ tag if possible.

Rgds

I don’t have or use the mood tag, so conseqently I haven’t coded support for it. I’ve looked up the details on the mood tag, and it looks trivial. If you could email me at [email protected], I wouldn’t mind coding up support for it, but I’d like to get examples and info on what taggers you use and so forth.

— Ron

blamm
    Participant

Did anything happen here. I am playing with moods too (based on allmusic tags)

rpedde
    Participant

@blamm wrote:

Did anything happen here. I am playing with moods too (based on allmusic tags)

Sorry, I’ve found what they are, but you won’t see it until next nightlies.

— Ron

pnnoakes
    Participant

Thanks Ron. Let me know if you need examples of tagged files etc.

Regards

Patrick

rpedde
    Participant

@pnnoakes wrote:

Thanks Ron. Let me know if you need examples of tagged files etc.

Regards

Patrick

Sure. if you send me on at [email protected], then I’ll be able to make sure it works with your mp3s. That way if your tagger tags a different one than the one I’m working with from the spec, then I’ll know it, and make sure it works with the example you send me.

— Ron

pnnoakes
    Participant

Ron

Many thanks. I’ve sent a sample MP3 today.

Regards

Patrick

beerfan
    Participant

First, let me say that I’m a very happy Firefly user. Please keep up the good work on this fantastic software.

I agree with the original poster that more transparency regarding ID3 tags would be helpful. It is not obvious what ID3 (or APE?) tags some of the Firefly tags, “Type” for example, map to. Is this the ID3 v2.3 TFLT file type tag?

http://www.id3.org/id3v2.3.0#head-e4b3c63f836c3eb26a39be082065c21fba4e0acc

“Description”, “Grouping”, and probably many others are also inscrutable. Because every tag editor and music player has its own name for each tag it is a matter of trial and error to figure out which one to use. Perhaps the ID3 tag could be shown in parenthesis in the wizard select inputs? Or, better yet, include more complete instructions on how to format playlist queries (mention the inconsistent !includes usage for example) and perhaps mention the tag mapping there.

Another possibility I would like to see is support for TXXX user-defined tags. I don’t prefer to overload the comment field with custom strings because this is problematic. I’m not sure how you could add that without adding complexity to your parser though. Perhaps something like the following.

genre includes "rock" AND txxx:rec = "live"
    CCRDude
    Participant

Since there are so many different tags possible, a name like TXXX:… is too tied to one standard imho. Something like custom:fieldname would probably fit more there. But that would require the (file/tag) parser to store all attributes of a tag in the database, not just the standard ones., which would mean an additional increase in database size (e.g. if you have a bunch of lyrics, that could multiple your database size by a factor depending on how many lyrics you have).
    So: not overloading the comments field would mean overloading the database there, which imho isn’t really a compromize.

Regarding the mood (TMOO) field: since it’s a standard text field, it probably gets treated exactly the same way as Artist/Album/etc., with free text. I guess once Firefly supports it, I’ll start using that field myself, might really help creating more specific smart playlists 🙂

rpedde
    Participant

@beerfan wrote:

I agree with the original poster that more transparency regarding ID3 tags would be helpful. It is not obvious what ID3 (or APE?) tags some of the Firefly tags, “Type” for example, map to. Is this the ID3 v2.3 TFLT file type tag?

Have to think on the others, but I spent some time consolidating what comes from where on the “DB Fields” page and the “Tags” page on the wiki today:

http://wiki.fireflymediaserver.org. Check that out and see if that doesn’t fit the bill, at least for descriptions of what’s currently what.

— Ron

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 14 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.