Smart Playlist Sorting

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    tri
    Participant

Since the soundbridge can’t sort playlists (like iTunes does) smart playlists in mt-daapd are almost completely useless without possibility to add optional “ORDER BY” definitions to the playlist. In most cases “ORDER BY artist,album,disc_no,track_no” would do the trick.

–Rinne

Charly86
    Participant

Sure, I’d like this feature also, some of my smartplaylist returns 50/60 songs and i’d like to have them sorted by artist or title

of course is sqlite knows the clause ORDER BY 🙂

thanks

fizze
    Participant

I third that.

mattb
    Participant

Me too. Especially if it included order by random.
    Maybe even just a primitive passthrough for powers users who can write queries would be fantastic.

LovinFireFly
    Participant

Absolutely, a random option would be great.

I’ve been using WMP11 and it has a “Random” tag you can add to the playlist’s XML and thus the songs are randomized. I know I can hit the shuffle button on my Soundbridge, but I’m lazy and would like it to auto-magically randomize.

fizze
    Participant

ok, seen that comment somwhere else already.
    Now that is something thats not difficult in a real DB.
    but I am unsure of GDBs assets when it comes to order by random stuff 😉

LovinFireFly
    Participant

Okay, I’ll show my newbieness. What’s GDB?

fizze
    Participant

GDB is a small and verfy lightweight albeit fast database-like framework (hope I didnt hurt anyones feeling, putting it like that ;))

mt-daapds used to rely on gdb, back in the day. sqlite and stuff is nice, but it is in fact slower on embedded devices compared to sqlite.
    So on the slug, gdb is a goodie.
    On a PC you dont care, so it’s sqlite, prolly.

Anonymous
    Inactive

You might be interested to know that I’ve developed a technique to overcome the limitation of not being able to sort playlists, by creating a static playlist directly from the database.

More details here: http://www.andrewferrier.com/blog/2008/01/05/more-flexible-firefly-smart-playlists-with-perl-sqlite3-and-m3u/

Anonymous
    Inactive

No plans to implement this, I take it?

Shame, I’d like to create playlists like “most played” and “most recent”.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 16 total)
  • The forum ‘Feature Requests’ is closed to new topics and replies.