Slug Has Arrived! …

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Kato
    Participant

@rpedde wrote:

Rich Dunlop’s guide http://wiki.fireflymediaserver.org/NSLU2_Installation is a gem of a reference, too.

Yes – I have been reading that one.

I am preparing for the unslinging and since I am using only one HDD it sounds like I should use Port 2 (from the unslung readme file).

Rich’s documentation seems to indicate Port 1.

Which one should I use?

fizze
    Participant

That doesn’t really matter since you use ext3 and only one disk.
    Flip a coin? ๐Ÿ˜‰

Kato
    Participant

@fizze wrote:

That doesn’t really matter since you use ext3 and only one disk.
    Flip a coin? ๐Ÿ˜‰

The read me file goes on about ‘if you want to connect a drive later’ scenario with unslung 6.x it’s ‘easier’ if the original install with one HDD was done through port 2.

“For new users, the following guidelines can help:
    – if you have only a single drive that will be formatted by the NSLU2,
    use port 2.
    – if you have a single drive that will be formatted by the NSLU2, and
    all other drives or flash devices will be either FAT or NTFS, use
    port 2.
    – if you have two drives, and both will be formatted by the NSLU2, then
    unsling to the drive in port 1.

If you unsling to port 2, and later add a drive in port 1 that will
    be formatted by the NSLU2, it will work as expected — however, the
    drive to be added MUST be formatted by the unslung NSLU2 in question,
    and once formatted, the drive must NOT be removed. (The Linksys code
    will move it’s “conf” datafiles to the drive in port 1 during the
    format operation, and thus will become dependent upon the presence of
    both drives for proper operation.)

3) The external disk that you use as the target for package installation must
    be (or have previously been) formatted by the NSLU2.

Kato
    Participant

ok …. after a very frustrating experience trying to access RedBoot on my slug I have no idea on how to login now.

I have the ‘RedBoot>’ promt and am trying to unsling using the username ‘root’ and password ‘uNSLUng’

And then the next thing is to plug in the drive and mount it.

How do I do these two things?

If this requires Linux commands I have no clue how to execute those.

Anonymous
    Inactive

ok …. after a very frustrating experience trying to access RedBoot on my slug I have no idea on how to login now.

I have the ‘RedBoot>’ promt and am trying to unsling using the username ‘root’ and password ‘uNSLUng’

Bit confused why you needed to access Redboot – as per the NSLU2 wiki:

The main reason for accessing the RedBoot bootloader is when you are attempting to Recover From A Bad Flash.

Your previous posts don’t mention that it’s all gone pear-shaped which would presuppose that you shouldn’t need to be in redboot (except of course to check that you *can* access it.) Certainly, you don’t unsling whilst in Redboot & maybe that’s confused you… ๐Ÿ˜•

To confirm, to unsling you should follow the instructions in the readme that’s here: http://www.slug-firmware.net/u-dls.php (along with the firmware itself) and in conjunction with Rich’s how-to in order to get firefly on the slug.

good luck!

Kato
    Participant

@andyg wrote:

Bit confused why you needed to access Redboot – as per the NSLU2 wiki:

The main reason for accessing the RedBoot bootloader is when you are attempting to Recover From A Bad Flash.

I must be confused as per the instructions in the read me text.

I’m at the point where I’ve flashed the uNSLUng firmware and I’m reminded many times to NOT have any drives plugged in and here’s why I’m telnetting: (Step 3, right from the readme.txt)

“3) OK, now that you don’t have any disks attached, you can proceed and telnet
    into the NSLU2 using the username root and password uNSLUng.

4) Identify which drive you wish you “unsling”, and plug it in. Wait a minute
    or two while the disk is mounted. Check the web interface to make sure
    that the disk has been recognized by the Linksys software.

– If the disk has not been previously formatted on the NSLU2, then now is
    the time to do that. Make sure that the drive is recognized in the
    web interface.

Be patient – it might take several minutes for the NSLU2 to recognize
    the hardware, mount the partitions, and verify that the drive is correctly
    configured to be considered “Formatted”. Do not continue if the drive
    is not marked as “Formatted (ext3)” in the NSLU2 web interface.”

Why does the document refer to Telnetting into the slug and using the web based interface as two different things?

When I read Telnet into the slug I just lookes that up on the NSLU2.org website.

What does this mean, “telnet into the NSLU2 using the username root and password uNSLUng?

Please help

rpedde
    Participant

@Kato wrote:

“3) OK, now that you don’t have any disks attached, you can proceed and telnet
    into the NSLU2 using the username root and password uNSLUng.

From a command prompt on your windows machine (I assume that’s what you are using), type:

c:> telnet 192.168.1.177

or whatever the ip address of the slug is. You’ll be prompted for a username (and you’ll enter “root”), and then a password (and you’ll enter “uNSLUng”).

That’s the “telnet” session. The text-based command interface of the slug. That’s different than the web interface. So you telnet in, then plug in the drive, and wait for it to show up in the web interface. Once it shows up, then you continue entering the commands it tells you to in the telnet session.

Why does the document refer to Telnetting into the slug and using the web based interface as two different things?

Because they are, as you can see when you do the telnet command.

One is the graphical interface, the other is the text interface. Once you telnet in using the telnet command from a windows command prompt, the difference will become more clear to you.

— Ron

Kato
    Participant

@rpedde wrote:

From a command prompt on your windows machine (I assume that’s what you are using), type:

c:> telnet 192.168.1.177

or whatever the ip address of the slug is. You’ll be prompted for a username (and you’ll enter “root”), and then a password (and you’ll enter “uNSLUng”).

That’s the “telnet” session. The text-based command interface of the slug. That’s different than the web interface. So you telnet in, then plug in the drive, and wait for it to show up in the web interface. Once it shows up, then you continue entering the commands it tells you to in the telnet session.

Yes – it worked. I am now uNSLUng.

I think the problem is that I have lack of experience and I’m taking the readme too literally.

When the doc refers to ‘telnetting’ I automatically think of where I’ve read about it before and that was the whole ‘redboot’ thing.

If the doc was more specific like ‘telnet into the slug using it’s IP address, login using root and password uNSLUng, wait for the command prompt ‘#’, plug in drive and check using the web interface, then execute script at the # promt to unsling’ I would have been good.

It’s my lack of experience that shows here. But this part is done! ๐Ÿ˜€

Thanks for the help so far..

Kato
    Participant

Now I have begun the firefly install. I have unslung to disk 2

Did 1) ipkg update (looked like it was ok)

Did 2) ipkg install mt-daapd (looked like it was ok)

Did 3) ps -ef | grep mt-daapd and only came up with:

556 ttyp0 root 2668 S grep mt-daapd

Did 4) /opt/etc/init.d/S60mt-daapd and came up with

bad mp3 directory (/share/hdd/data/public): no such file or directory
    error reading config file (/opt/etc/mt-daapd/mt-daapd.conf

5) Using explorer in Win XP I tried to create an ‘mp3’ directory in /share/data/public but I got an error back saying it wasn’t accessible

6) I created an ‘mp3’ directory in /public and copied one .mp3 into it.
    I noticed that in the web interface that it appeared as disk 2/mp3/

7) Did ipkg update again and received one error

ipkg_download: error: command failed with return value 1: ‘wget –passive-ftp -q -P /tmp/ipgk-HvQZBT http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feed/optware/nslu2/cross/stable/Packages.gz’

– don’t know if this error occured the first time

#8 Did ipkg install mt-daapd (said copy did not need to be updated)

9) repeated 3) & 4) with same result

10) then I tried to modify mt-daapd.conf in Windows Explorer by changing the mp3 directory to /disk 2/mp3 but I got an error back saying I wasn’t allowed to modify

11) I also tried configuring firefly (http://ipofslug:3689) but got nothing. I assume it is not running at all.

Any ideas on how to proceed?

Where should I copy my .mp3’s to?

Kato
    Participant

I tried the ipkg update again and no errors…everything else is still the same

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 30 total)
  • The forum ‘Setup Issues’ is closed to new topics and replies.