You are here: Home » Topic » Slug Has Arrived! …

Slug Has Arrived! …

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #1672
    Kato
    Participant

    Ok … Slug (Linksys NSLU2) came in the mail today.

    I plan on using it to run Firefly to serve my two Roku M1001’s. I will be installing a Western Digital 80GB HDD into Port 1. (WD800B008-RNQ)
    I will be doing my configuration using a Windows XP machine.

    Before I start I have a couple questions:

    1) What is the MOST STABLE version of FireFly that I should install?
    I currently use the old one from the Roku website SVN-1359. It has
    worked without any problems for a year now.

    2) When it comes to Unslung it looks like to me 6.8 is the ONLY way to go?

    Thanks in advance,
    Kato

    #12301
    mas
    Participant

    1) The most stable is likely from the stable branch, but that one is stone old and misses in the meantime a lot of features.
    I would recommend the svn-1586 version. Around since a couple of months and seems to run rock stable. Also my experience.

    2) When it comes to unslung then indeed 6.8 would be the one to take. Theres no point to use an older one or to use a snapshot that you would have to compile on your own.
    The alternative if one wants a more recent installation with more options, which would need a lot more time to set up however, is installing debian 4.0r2 (soon).

    #12302
    davesanti
    Participant

    I used 1586 and 6.8(beta) Both are pretty stable and work very well.

    Dave

    #12303
    Kato
    Participant

    @davesanti wrote:

    I used 1586 and 6.8(beta) Both are pretty stable and work very well.

    Dave

    Sounds great. Will also use those two.

    Have connected the slug, formatted the drive and familiarized myself with the interface.

    Before I Flash and Unsling ….. at what stage of the firefly install do I add my .mp3’s to the drive?

    Right now in XP the drive shows up as ‘Disk 1’ . Could I make a directory and add them now?

    #12304
    davesanti
    Participant

    Kato,

    Do not add MP3s until you are done.

    The HD needs to be formatted Ext3 by the Slug.

    After it is formatted you will unsling…

    After you are done go back and add the MP3s.

    Dave

    #12305
    Kato
    Participant

    @davesanti wrote:

    Kato,
    Do not add MP3s until you are done.
    The HD needs to be formatted Ext3 by the Slug.
    After it is formatted you will unsling…
    After you are done go back and add the MP3s.
    Dave

    Dave

    When I was initially configuring the slug (right out of the box) it picked up my external HDD fine – it was NTFS formatted though. So I decided while I was in there to format it .ext3

    So that is done. I was just wondering if I could add the files now…

    I’m not familiar with .ext3 file format but I was thinking that putting on my 36GB of .mp3’s would be a good idea before I proceed as this will take up an almost ‘permanent’ chunk of the drive and be less susceptible to fragmentation —- should this be a concern?

    #12306
    mas
    Participant

    Unless you fill up the harddrive a lot fragmentation is usually no problem for ext3. And the pure unslung system with mt-daapd needs not that much space in view of the 160 GB harddrives of today. So leave 20% empty and fill the rest with mp3s, if the drive is already correctly formatted in ext3.

    Filling the HD via USB is anyway the best as it takes ages to fill 100GB via network.

    #12307
    fizze
    Participant

    kato: if you have just formatted the harddrive to ext3 it will not work on the slug as “root device” for unslinging.
    You must format it through the web-interface of the slug, only then will it work for unslinging.

    So wait until you have unslung before you copy ANY data on there. 😉

    #12308
    Kato
    Participant

    @fizze wrote:

    kato: if you have just formatted the harddrive to ext3 it will not work on the slug as “root device” for unslinging.
    You must format it through the web-interface of the slug, only then will it work for unslinging.

    So wait until you have unslung before you copy ANY data on there. 😉

    I did format it through the web-interface. It wasn’t an option in Windows XP.

    Considering that fragmentation won’t be an issue I will wait til I unsling.

    I only have 35GB of .mp3’s onto an 80GB HDD.

    I will keep you informed of my progress.

    Cheers,
    Kato

    #12309
    rpedde
    Participant

    @Kato wrote:

    @fizze wrote:

    kato: if you have just formatted the harddrive to ext3 it will not work on the slug as “root device” for unslinging.
    You must format it through the web-interface of the slug, only then will it work for unslinging.

    So wait until you have unslung before you copy ANY data on there. 😉

    I did format it through the web-interface. It wasn’t an option in Windows XP.

    Considering that fragmentation won’t be an issue I will wait til I unsling.

    I only have 35GB of .mp3’s onto an 80GB HDD.

    I will keep you informed of my progress.

    Cheers,
    Kato

    Rich Dunlop’s guide http://wiki.fireflymediaserver.org/NSLU2_Installation is a gem of a reference, too.

    #12310
    Kato
    Participant

    @rpedde wrote:

    Rich Dunlop’s guide http://wiki.fireflymediaserver.org/NSLU2_Installation is a gem of a reference, too.

    Yes – I have been reading that one.

    I am preparing for the unslinging and since I am using only one HDD it sounds like I should use Port 2 (from the unslung readme file).

    Rich’s documentation seems to indicate Port 1.

    Which one should I use?

    #12311
    fizze
    Participant

    That doesn’t really matter since you use ext3 and only one disk.
    Flip a coin? 😉

    #12312
    Kato
    Participant

    @fizze wrote:

    That doesn’t really matter since you use ext3 and only one disk.
    Flip a coin? 😉

    The read me file goes on about ‘if you want to connect a drive later’ scenario with unslung 6.x it’s ‘easier’ if the original install with one HDD was done through port 2.

    “For new users, the following guidelines can help:
    – if you have only a single drive that will be formatted by the NSLU2,
    use port 2.
    – if you have a single drive that will be formatted by the NSLU2, and
    all other drives or flash devices will be either FAT or NTFS, use
    port 2.
    – if you have two drives, and both will be formatted by the NSLU2, then
    unsling to the drive in port 1.

    If you unsling to port 2, and later add a drive in port 1 that will
    be formatted by the NSLU2, it will work as expected — however, the
    drive to be added MUST be formatted by the unslung NSLU2 in question,
    and once formatted, the drive must NOT be removed. (The Linksys code
    will move it’s “conf” datafiles to the drive in port 1 during the
    format operation, and thus will become dependent upon the presence of
    both drives for proper operation.)

    3) The external disk that you use as the target for package installation must
    be (or have previously been) formatted by the NSLU2.

    #12313
    Kato
    Participant

    ok …. after a very frustrating experience trying to access RedBoot on my slug I have no idea on how to login now.

    I have the ‘RedBoot>’ promt and am trying to unsling using the username ‘root’ and password ‘uNSLUng’

    And then the next thing is to plug in the drive and mount it.

    How do I do these two things?

    If this requires Linux commands I have no clue how to execute those.

    #12314
    Anonymous
    Inactive

    ok …. after a very frustrating experience trying to access RedBoot on my slug I have no idea on how to login now.

    I have the ‘RedBoot>’ promt and am trying to unsling using the username ‘root’ and password ‘uNSLUng’

    Bit confused why you needed to access Redboot – as per the NSLU2 wiki:

    The main reason for accessing the RedBoot bootloader is when you are attempting to Recover From A Bad Flash.

    Your previous posts don’t mention that it’s all gone pear-shaped which would presuppose that you shouldn’t need to be in redboot (except of course to check that you *can* access it.) Certainly, you don’t unsling whilst in Redboot & maybe that’s confused you… 😕

    To confirm, to unsling you should follow the instructions in the readme that’s here: http://www.slug-firmware.net/u-dls.php (along with the firmware itself) and in conjunction with Rich’s how-to in order to get firefly on the slug.

    good luck!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • The forum ‘Setup Issues’ is closed to new topics and replies.