Slug Has Arrived! …

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Kato
    Participant

Ok … Slug (Linksys NSLU2) came in the mail today.

I plan on using it to run Firefly to serve my two Roku M1001’s. I will be installing a Western Digital 80GB HDD into Port 1. (WD800B008-RNQ)
    I will be doing my configuration using a Windows XP machine.

Before I start I have a couple questions:

1) What is the MOST STABLE version of FireFly that I should install?
    I currently use the old one from the Roku website SVN-1359. It has
    worked without any problems for a year now.

2) When it comes to Unslung it looks like to me 6.8 is the ONLY way to go?

Thanks in advance,
    Kato

mas
    Participant

1) The most stable is likely from the stable branch, but that one is stone old and misses in the meantime a lot of features.
    I would recommend the svn-1586 version. Around since a couple of months and seems to run rock stable. Also my experience.

2) When it comes to unslung then indeed 6.8 would be the one to take. Theres no point to use an older one or to use a snapshot that you would have to compile on your own.
    The alternative if one wants a more recent installation with more options, which would need a lot more time to set up however, is installing debian 4.0r2 (soon).

davesanti
    Participant

I used 1586 and 6.8(beta) Both are pretty stable and work very well.

Dave

Kato
    Participant

@davesanti wrote:

I used 1586 and 6.8(beta) Both are pretty stable and work very well.

Dave

Sounds great. Will also use those two.

Have connected the slug, formatted the drive and familiarized myself with the interface.

Before I Flash and Unsling ….. at what stage of the firefly install do I add my .mp3’s to the drive?

Right now in XP the drive shows up as ‘Disk 1’ . Could I make a directory and add them now?

davesanti
    Participant

Kato,

Do not add MP3s until you are done.

The HD needs to be formatted Ext3 by the Slug.

After it is formatted you will unsling…

After you are done go back and add the MP3s.

Dave

Kato
    Participant

@davesanti wrote:

Kato,
    Do not add MP3s until you are done.
    The HD needs to be formatted Ext3 by the Slug.
    After it is formatted you will unsling…
    After you are done go back and add the MP3s.
    Dave

Dave

When I was initially configuring the slug (right out of the box) it picked up my external HDD fine – it was NTFS formatted though. So I decided while I was in there to format it .ext3

So that is done. I was just wondering if I could add the files now…

I’m not familiar with .ext3 file format but I was thinking that putting on my 36GB of .mp3’s would be a good idea before I proceed as this will take up an almost ‘permanent’ chunk of the drive and be less susceptible to fragmentation —- should this be a concern?

mas
    Participant

Unless you fill up the harddrive a lot fragmentation is usually no problem for ext3. And the pure unslung system with mt-daapd needs not that much space in view of the 160 GB harddrives of today. So leave 20% empty and fill the rest with mp3s, if the drive is already correctly formatted in ext3.

Filling the HD via USB is anyway the best as it takes ages to fill 100GB via network.

fizze
    Participant

kato: if you have just formatted the harddrive to ext3 it will not work on the slug as “root device” for unslinging.
    You must format it through the web-interface of the slug, only then will it work for unslinging.

So wait until you have unslung before you copy ANY data on there. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Kato
    Participant

@fizze wrote:

kato: if you have just formatted the harddrive to ext3 it will not work on the slug as “root device” for unslinging.
    You must format it through the web-interface of the slug, only then will it work for unslinging.

I did format it through the web-interface. It wasn’t an option in Windows XP.

Considering that fragmentation won’t be an issue I will wait til I unsling.

I only have 35GB of .mp3’s onto an 80GB HDD.

I will keep you informed of my progress.

Cheers,
    Kato

rpedde
    Participant

@Kato wrote:

@fizze wrote:

I did format it through the web-interface. It wasn’t an option in Windows XP.

Considering that fragmentation won’t be an issue I will wait til I unsling.

I only have 35GB of .mp3’s onto an 80GB HDD.

I will keep you informed of my progress.

Cheers,
    Kato

Rich Dunlop’s guide http://wiki.fireflymediaserver.org/NSLU2_Installation is a gem of a reference, too.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 30 total)
  • The forum ‘Setup Issues’ is closed to new topics and replies.