Simple telnet question

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    davesanti
    Participant

When I began my great adventure into the world of the Slug and the deep abyss of Linux I had no idea what it mean to telnet… I do now..

When I started I downloaded and used putty to telnet. It worked fine.

Somewhere along the way I was made to realize that a “run” and “cmd” script in Windows brought me to the command prompt (what I remembered as a “dos” screen) and the same telnet capacity as using putty.

Dumb question.. whats the difference and why use putty..

Dave

richdunlop
    Participant

The telnet client that ships with windows is basic but works ok. Putty is a more feature rich client e.g. it supports colouring / coloring of text. It also can also support other types of connection e.g. ssh.

fizze
    Participant

Also, putty supports proper copy/paste (right click, middle-click) and generally is a ANSI-safe terminal.

The windows builtin telnet client really is spartanic. It works, but it lacks lots of features. Putty is the better choice, by far.

davesanti
    Participant

Thanks guys.

I did notice how impossible it was to cut/paste using windows.

Dave

rpedde
    Participant

@davesanti wrote:

Thanks guys.

Dave

And the reason that it specified by name in the wiki is that it doesn’t do proper vt52 emulation, so when you use a full-screen editor like nano, the screen gets corrupted on windows, whereas it works fine in putty.

That’s the reason it’s specified in the wiki that way.

But for most stuff, like diddling around on the console, windows telnet works fine.

— Ron

S80_UK
    Participant

@rpedde wrote:

@davesanti wrote:

Thanks guys.

Dave

But for most stuff, like diddling around on the console, windows telnet works fine.

— Ron

And in XP etc, running Telnet in a command window, you can copy and paste using the mouse to a limited extent – right-click to get menu, select Mark with left click, left click and drag to highlight, then control-C to copy, then right click to get the menu and then select Paste with left click to drop the copied text in at the cursor.

Cheers,

Les.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.