Share through WAN port?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    dantidote
    Participant

In my dorm i use a linksys router connected to my server and my laptop. The router is hooked up to the wall via the WAN port. I can access the Firefly server on my LAN, but would like to be able to access it other places in the dorm. Preferrably, I’d like to keep the router inbetween myself and the rest of the network. I’ve tried opening ports(3689 and 5353), but havent had any success, i’m sure i’m missing someting. Any help?

rpedde
    Participant

@dantidote wrote:

In my dorm i use a linksys router connected to my server and my laptop. The router is hooked up to the wall via the WAN port. I can access the Firefly server on my LAN, but would like to be able to access it other places in the dorm. Preferrably, I’d like to keep the router inbetween myself and the rest of the network. I’ve tried opening ports(3689 and 5353), but havent had any success, i’m sure i’m missing someting. Any help?

You need something to advertise the daap server on the remote network. The best tool for that is probably Network Beacon on the mac, or Rendezvous proxy for windows.

Check out this page http://wiki.mt-daapd.org/wiki/SSH_Tunnel and look at the section on advertising your server on remote networks.

— Ron

dantidote
    Participant

Ok, well I’m finally back in school now, and i just want to make sure I got all this figured out.

Firstly, Do I need to forward 5353?

Secondly there are 2 shares appearing in iTunes, the rendezvous proxy works, but the firefly one is using the wrong IP therefore nobody can connect to it over the WAN. Can I disable the firefly mDNS? using -m right? On my windows box, how can I make the service always use -m?

rpedde
    Participant

@dantidote wrote:

Ok, well I’m finally back in school now, and i just want to make sure I got all this figured out.

Firstly, Do I need to forward 5353?

Secondly there are 2 shares appearing in iTunes, the rendezvous proxy works, but the firefly one is using the wrong IP therefore nobody can connect to it over the WAN. Can I disable the firefly mDNS? using -m right? On my windows box, how can I make the service always use -m?

no, you dont’ need to forward 5353. that’s the rendezvous proxy.

Did you read the ssh tunnel article?

Inside your own network, don’t use rendezvous proxy. Use the default mdns responder.

Inside your network, you have a server ip address like 192.168.0.10 or something. The public side of your router has an isp assigned ip address, like 10.2.84.82 or something. On your router, forward 3689 from the outside to 192.68.0.10 on 3689 so you have port forwarding for the daap connection.

When you are outside of your local net, then set mdns proxy to advertise for 10.2.84.82:3689 (the public side of your router).

that’s really all there is to it.

— Ron

dantidote
    Participant

Yeah, I understand all the port forwarding and mDNS proxy. The problem is the server is showing up twice even on the external network, but people can only connect to the proxy so I want to stop/hide firefly’s bonjour forever. (I can still connect to the proxy on the internal net without a problem.) I hope this makes sense.

dantidote
    Participant

Ok, I got it all figured out.
    To always disable firefly’s bonjour there’s a small registry hack.
    If anyone’s interested:

Open up regedit.
    1. Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESYSTEMCurrentControlSetServicesFirefly Media Server

2. Add -m to the end of the “ImagePath” string.

Now only the proxy shows up in the sources list 🙂

Thanks so much Ron, everything works perfectly!

dantidote
    Participant

Dang, well now that rendezvous proxy has taken over, i need to get it to run as a windows service, so it can run without me logging in. This is a problem because it’s a Java app. I think i need to create a java wrapper, but that confuses the hell out of me.
    Are there any other mdns proxies out there as an exe?
    can i drop rendezvousproxy and instead compile mdnsproxyresponder for windows?
    or would it be easier just to make the move to linux?

rpedde
    Participant

@dantidote wrote:

Dang, well now that rendezvous proxy has taken over, i need to get it to run as a windows service, so it can run without me logging in. This is a problem because it’s a Java app. I think i need to create a java wrapper, but that confuses the hell out of me.
    Are there any other mdns proxies out there as an exe?
    can i drop rendezvousproxy and instead compile mdnsproxyresponder for windows?
    or would it be easier just to make the move to linux?

Okay, I see what you are saying now. Is your daap server the router? I’m not sure why it would see two advertisements outside your network unless your router was forwarding outbound mdns. Which it shouldn’t because it’s natted. Oh well.

As far as the java thing, I have no idea at all. I tend to avoid java. 🙂

As far as moving to linux goes, I’m not sure what that buys on on the server. You could at least control ttl that way and not have the natted advertisement appear on the outside network, but that’s about it, I think.

dantidote
    Participant

When I enable multicast on the router, the server’s mdns is automagically pushed through somehow. Whatever.

Thanks so much man, you’re really pumping out some quality software, AND you’re super helpful on the forums. Much respect.

rpedde
    Participant

@dantidote wrote:

When I enable multicast on the router, the server’s mdns is automagically pushed through somehow. Whatever.

Thanks so much man, you’re really pumping out some quality software, AND you’re super helpful on the forums. Much respect.

I’m assuming this is a campus resnet or something? Kind of nice that the it staff enabled multicast. They don’t usually do that. :), but it’s kind of biting you.

I don’t really see a way around it that’s very good. Even if you turn off the built-in mdns, when you are behind the firewall you need to use the internal address, which will be propagated out to everyone else. And even if you were to get the java dingus to run as a service, you wouldn’t be able to connect to it using that proxied advertisement from inside the firewall.

Maybe the easiest thing is to change the server name to something like “whatever server – internal”, and then set up your bonjour proxy to use “whatever server – external” or something so you can tell them apart.

I could probably add a knob to control TTL, so you could set the TTL on the built-in so it wouldn’t advertise past your router, but that wouldn’t be until next nightlies.

— Ron

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 12 total)
  • The forum ‘Setup Issues’ is closed to new topics and replies.