Separate playlist folder?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    CCRDude
    Participant

Now that the SoundBridge (M1001) finally supports WPA, and I tested one where I saw how fast it is, compared to Slimserver, my first one is finally on the way πŸ™‚
    Now there’s just one feature in Slimserver that was useful and I am missing in Firefly: the chance to set up a different playlist folder. In my regular music folders, I have a playlist for each album actually, back from times when I still used WinAmp to play the files. If I would enable m3u scanning now, I would’ve had a few hundred static playlists that I don’t really need there. In SlimServer, I could just set up a different folder (/mnt/media/Playlists instead of /mnt/media/Music) for playlists. Something like this in Firefly would be nice (use music path if no playlist path is entered, or playlist path otherwise – or something like that).

fizze
    Participant

Well, this doesnt sound bad.
    There have been wishes for playlist management like in iTunes, where one can select which playlists to share, and which not.

Firefly currently shares all playlists.

I cant think of a workaround for your problem so far, other than disabling m3u scan, or renaming this playlists to PLS or any other format that winamp recognizes and firefly doesnt (if there is such a format)

CCRDude
    Participant

It isn’t urgent, I’ve lived without static playlists in mt-daapd for years now πŸ˜‰

But that renaming sounds like a good idea… I would’ve even deleted the old .m3us, if it wouldn’t be that much trouble to step through all those folders. Well, lets get it behind me πŸ˜€ I tried a few things, and it took me quite some fiddling around to find the following out (for file in `locate *.m3u` stumbles over the spaces in paths), but now I’m rescanning for the few m3us I have intentionally:

locate *.m3u > myplaylists.txt
    cat myplaylists.txt | while read line; do mv “${line}” “${line%.m3u}.pls”; done

edit: added playlists just fine πŸ™‚

mas
    Participant

locate *.m3u > myplaylists.txt
    cat myplaylists.txt | while read line; do mv “${line}” “${line%.m3u}.pls”; done

Ouch thats complicated and requires findutils and wont work with busybox,

What about

rm `find /music -name “*.m3u”`

And if that gives a line too long error you can still do a man find and look for the -exec command of find. With the -exec you can also construct a mv then but as you said most werent needed anyway.

rpedde
    Participant

@mas wrote:

And if that gives a line too long error you can still do a man find and look for the -exec command of find. With the -exec you can also construct a mv then but as you said most werent needed anyway.

Something like:

find /mp3dir "*.m3u" -exec mv {} `basename {} .m3u`.pls ;

might do it.

rpedde
    Participant

@CCRDude wrote:

It isn’t urgent, I’ve lived without static playlists in mt-daapd for years now πŸ˜‰

Hrm… clearly I don’t use them. πŸ™‚

I’m not entirely opposed to the playlist_dir idea though — default it to the same as the music dir.

CCRDude
    Participant

Well, it’s getting to cold outside to do outside sports, and for the exercise bike inside I need some really well-chosen tracks πŸ˜‰

Since renaming the standard playlists to .pls worked fine, I have that available now, now I just need to setup my new soundbridge and some speakers in the attic πŸ™‚

Feature might still be useful for others though, since the renaming is a bit tricky as you can see, and a few hundreds of useless playlists would make the connection quite slow (thousands of additional songs to be transmitted).

And remembering the discussion about hierarchical playlists (that feature since iTunes 6 or 7), the directory structure inside the playlist directory structure could just be directly mirrored.

rpedde
    Participant

@CCRDude wrote:

Well, it’s getting to cold outside to do outside sports, and for the exercise bike inside I need some really well-chosen tracks πŸ˜‰

I’ve run through all my Firefly episodes, so now I’m looking for new distraction myself. :-/

And remembering the discussion about hierarchical playlists (that feature since iTunes 6 or 7), the directory structure inside the playlist directory structure could just be directly mirrored.

[/quote]

They’ll still be flat on the soundbridge, though.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.