Selectively disable transcoding with ssc-ffmpeg

FireFly Media Server Firefly Media Server Forums Firefly Media Server Setup Issues Selectively disable transcoding with ssc-ffmpeg

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    fantux
    Participant

I am using mt-daapd on Debian Etch from the distribution Package (mt-daapd 0.2.4+r1376-1, ssc-ffmpeg for transcoding). Everything works like a charm when I’m at home. However, I sometimes like to use mt-daapd with iTunes on my Mac combined with an ssh-tunnel to listen to my music while I’m on the road.

On the road includes some places with a rather limited internet connection (1MBit/s). Listening to mp3 files is no problem, however listening to wav (or files transcoded to wav) yields in choppy replay due to insufficient network bandwidth.

Since large portions of my collections are ogg, I fixed my iTunes to play OGG Vorbis files (Google: ogg vorbis quicktime component). So, is there a way to selectively turn off transcoding for ogg files without disabling transcoding entirely? I tried fiddling with ssc_codectypes, but as the comments in the config file statet, to no avail.

fizze
    Participant

No need to alter the transcoding stuff.
    Just browse to firefly’s config page, and remove ‘ogg’ from the ssc-codectypes, but add ‘ogg’ to the standard codectypes ๐Ÿ˜‰

edit:
    However, I haven’t seen a vorbis component that supported streaming for iTunes. So good luck with that.

fantux
    Participant

@fizze wrote:

No need to alter the transcoding stuff.
    Just browse to firefly’s config page, and remove ‘ogg’ from the ssc-codectypes, but add ‘ogg’ to the standard codectypes ๐Ÿ˜‰

I assume that by ‘standard codectypes’ you mean the extensions, firefly should scan? ‘.ogg’ is already among them.

As for the ssc_codectypes, the variable is currently unset (commented out, as is the default for the debian package). I am using ssc-ffmpeg, not ssc-script!

fizze
    Participant

Yep, the extensions. Silly me. Of course it’s already in there otherwise it wouldn’t scan and pick ’em up ๐Ÿ˜‰

It shouldn’t matter whether you use ssc-ffmpeg or ssc-script or ssc-flying-fish. If the codectype isn’t in there, it’s supposed to be streamed as-is.

Crast

I have a nicer solution, which doesn’t involve re-configuring, since I do this on a daily basis.

If you’re using the nightlies of firefly, go to smart playlists from the web interface and add a new playlist. I named my No transcode, and put this as the query:

fname endswith "mp3" OR fname endswith "m4a"

You can modify the query to add m4p if it applies. I found it worked like a charm from my school connection. In itunes you’ll have to choose that playlist from the little dropdown to the left of the server when you choose it.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘Setup Issues’ is closed to new topics and replies.