Segmentation fault but no core dump

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    version5
    Participant

Hey guys,
    I’ve an issue thats causing the server to crash but for some reason I can’t get it do dump a core file so I can find out what the problem is. The ulimit is set to ‘unlimited’ for core files, the program has write permissions in the directory and I haven’t seen any thing in the source code like setrlimit() that would appear to affect its ability to dump a core file.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
    version5

rpedde
    Participant

@version5 wrote:

Hey guys,
    I’ve an issue thats causing the server to crash but for some reason I can’t get it do dump a core file so I can find out what the problem is. The ulimit is set to ‘unlimited’ for core files, the program has write permissions in the directory and I haven’t seen any thing in the source code like setrlimit() that would appear to affect its ability to dump a core file.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
    version5

os-unix.c chdirs to /, so once it drops privs, it doesn’t have permissions to dump core in /.

I think there are some sysctls to set default core dumps, or you could set the “run_as” user to root to allow it to core in /, or you could move the chdir in os-unix.c to put it in a directory the run_as user can core to.

— Ron

version5
    Participant

Hey,
    I’ve tried changing that chdir to a directory thats writable by everyone but that had no effect.

When i change the runas user though I get “Segmentation fault(core dumped)” which is an improvement but the core file still doesnt appear to actually be created. Its not in / and any find’s i’ve ran dont bring back anything. Wierd.

rpedde
    Participant

@version5 wrote:

Hey,
    I’ve tried changing that chdir to a directory thats writable by everyone but that had no effect.

When i change the runas user though I get “Segmentation fault(core dumped)” which is an improvement but the core file still doesnt appear to actually be created. Its not in / and any find’s i’ve ran dont bring back anything. Wierd.

Hrm… Well, failing all that, I guess one could just run it in gdb and get backtrace info that way.

— Ron

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.