SB M1001:can’t see libraries, but connects to internet radio

FireFly Media Server Firefly Media Server Forums Firefly Media Server Setup Issues SB M1001:can’t see libraries, but connects to internet radio

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

I would prefer to use Firefly as my server. When I hooked up my ROKU (software v3) it connected to my network just fine, connects to the internet without issue. At first it would not see any libraries (firefly or itunes library). BTY, my os is XP sp2. Reading many post, still no joy. Eventually, I was able to see the WMP library after activcating that share.

For time being, I can listen to my music via the WMP library, but I need to be streaming from my Firefly Library.

rpedde
    Participant

@sevans1965 wrote:

I would prefer to use Firefly as my server. When I hooked up my ROKU (software v3) it connected to my network just fine, connects to the internet without issue. At first it would not see any libraries (firefly or itunes library). BTY, my os is XP sp2. Reading many post, still no joy. Eventually, I was able to see the WMP library after activcating that share.

For time being, I can listen to my music via the WMP library, but I need to be streaming from my Firefly Library.

Check your wireless router, make sure you have the latest firmware. Then check to see if there are options on it to enable igmp, or multicast, or upnp.

If that fails, post the model of your wireless router, and maybe someone will have more info on how to make it route multicast.

— Ron

Anonymous
    Inactive

Ron,
    My Router is a Trendnet TEW633-GP. There is a firmware update which I will apply tonight. Mulitcast is enabled as is upnp. What is igmp?
    My desktop is connected wirelessly as is my SB. My music file is on the “D” drive of the computer. I renamed the firefly library as “firefly” keeping the name short.

A little more background- I’m running xp sp2. I’ve uninstalled Bonjour and FF, and reinstalled to ensure a good install (installed bonjour b4 FF). Confirmed in windows “services” that both are running. I can see the FF share in iTunes & iTunes is setup to share in preferences. I can open the FF share in iTunes. I had AVG antivirus + firewall installed but have since uninstalled the firewall portion and now using the xp firewall. Firefly & iTunes is in the exception list and I think I’ve opened the required ports correctly (TCP 9999 for ff, UDP 5353 for ff, and the required TCP port for IT.). I see the SB in “my network places” but when I click on it I get a message saying it is not available and mybe offline, but yet it’s streaming from WMP & I can access the SB via iexplorer. I’ve even disabled the xp firewall still no joy although I may not have disabled it correctly. I recall seeing a post saying there’s more to disabling xp firewall than just clicking on the “disable” button. I will investigate this further tonight.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Ron,
    Since replying earlier today—
    I’ve updated the firmware for my router (TEW633-GR) and double checked all the recommended settings. Still no luck. I disabled windows firewall via “control panel>administrative tools>services”, no luck. I turned the XP firewall back on, connected the SB directly to the computer that hosts my library (bypassing my router), no luck. Then I turned off the xp firewall with SB still connected and finally i could see & play the FF library.

Thinking it was the xp firewall, I decided to try one more thing. I plugged my SB directly into the wireless router and I could see & play the FF library regarless if the xp firewall was on or off. While trying all these different scenarios, the computer hosting the library was connected to the router wirlessly.

It seems as if I have a wireless configuration issue between the SB and router, but I still have no trouble streaming wirlessly from WMP.

I also have a wirless netgear router/printserver. I will try that this weekend to further narrow down the list of possiblities.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I’m experiencing exactly the same problem with my Pinnacle SoundBridge (latest firmware). It will connect to internet radio and my music library via WMP10 / WMC 2.0, but it cannot find the firefly server.

My router is a D-Link DIR-615 with the latest firmware, multicast and upnp enabled. There is no multicast filter facility on this router. I have windows firewall disabled, and firefly / itunes in the exceptions list, zonealarm installed but disabled, AVG installed but disabled.

PC-> Router WIRED
    Soundbridge -> Router – WIRELESS (WPA)

I have also been searching this forum and the roku forum to no avail.

rpedde
    Participant

@sevans1965 wrote:

What is igmp?

igmp is multicast (internet group multicast protocol). More specificially, it’s the protocol for adding and removing oneself from multicast groups.

Without igmp, a computer couldn’t express an interest in seeing specific multicast traffic. Presumably, that’s what the “multicast” checkbox in your router enables and disables.

— Ron

rpedde
    Participant

@woodster wrote:

I’m experiencing exactly the same problem with my Pinnacle SoundBridge (latest firmware). It will connect to internet radio and my music library via WMP10 / WMC 2.0, but it cannot find the firefly server.

My router is a D-Link DIR-615 with the latest firmware, multicast and upnp enabled. There is no multicast filter facility on this router. I have windows firewall disabled, and firefly / itunes in the exceptions list, zonealarm installed but disabled, AVG installed but disabled.

PC-> Router WIRED
    Soundbridge -> Router – WIRELESS (WPA)

I have also been searching this forum and the roku forum to no avail.

Both of you probalby want to make sure you are using the 1.1 beta:

http://preview.tinyurl.com/2movaa

— Ron

renderer

I have the HomeMusic M1001 system, a Linksys WRT54GC wireless router, and a 64-bit Debian etch system.

I have installed the SoundBridge 3.0.49 beta software, and built firefly
    from source (mt-daapd-0.2.4.1).

Everything individually appears to be working properly – I can access the SB web server, the firefly web server, play Internet Radio etc.

The SB doesn’t seem to talk to the firefly server, getting “Incompatible servers found” “SoundBridge found one or more DAAP servers (like iTunes) on the network, but can’t connect to them. To access these libraries from SoundBridge we recommend using the Firefly media server for fre from…”.

I read elsewhere that multicast support may be the problem. I have tried the router “Filter Multicast” setting enabled and disabled.

I have tried “–enable-avahi” in the ./configure. The mt-daapd log shows no problems (-d 6).

I also hear iptables might need configuring. I do not know what this may need.

I have tried avahi-discover on the server, and there are SoundBridge and mt-daapd web sites, _roku-rcp.tcp SoundBridge entry and an iTunes Audio Access entry for mt-daapd.

How can I debug this configuration? No errors are logged, and the SB report of “Incompatible servers” is spectacularly unhelpful!

Thanks in advance for any clues!

renderer

rpedde
    Participant

@renderer wrote:

I have the HomeMusic M1001 system, a Linksys WRT54GC wireless router, and a 64-bit Debian etch system.

I have installed the SoundBridge 3.0.49 beta software, and built firefly
    from source (mt-daapd-0.2.4.1).

Everything individually appears to be working properly – I can access the SB web server, the firefly web server, play Internet Radio etc.

The SB doesn’t seem to talk to the firefly server, getting “Incompatible servers found” “SoundBridge found one or more DAAP servers (like iTunes) on the network, but can’t connect to them. To access these libraries from SoundBridge we recommend using the Firefly media server for fre from…”.

I read elsewhere that multicast support may be the problem. I have tried the router “Filter Multicast” setting enabled and disabled.

I have tried “–enable-avahi” in the ./configure. The mt-daapd log shows no problems (-d 6).

I also hear iptables might need configuring. I do not know what this may need.

I have tried avahi-discover on the server, and there are SoundBridge and mt-daapd web sites, _roku-rcp.tcp SoundBridge entry and an iTunes Audio Access entry for mt-daapd.

How can I debug this configuration? No errors are logged, and the SB report of “Incompatible servers” is spectacularly unhelpful!

Thanks in advance for any clues!

renderer

as mentioned the post on roku forums, use nightlies: http://nightlies.fireflymediaserver.org

— Ron

Anonymous
    Inactive

I mentioned trying another router, after looking a little closer I have a Netgear Wireless Switch/printserver (4 port switch). When I plug the SB into the switch (in otherwords, not using SB’s wireless card) I see the firefly server. My computer is still wireless and I’m still using my Trendnet router. With the setup described above, would the netgear switch bypass the router and communicate directly to the computer which has the firefly server on it, or is data still passing through the router?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 11 total)
  • The forum ‘Setup Issues’ is closed to new topics and replies.