SB + Firefly / mt-daapd (Ubuntu Edgy) fails to connect now?

FireFly Media Server Firefly Media Server Forums Firefly Media Server Setup Issues SB + Firefly / mt-daapd (Ubuntu Edgy) fails to connect now?

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Binary Jay
    Participant

Ahh, I had that feeling. I was reading through the comments on the nightlies and found the one you wrote about the plugins list not being required “in the future” but I didn’t find any reference to it after that so I assumed it hadn’t yet been implemented.

Feel better now that I’m armed with a couple of leads. I’ll be sure to let you know who the culprit is when I find out. Thanks again.

@rpedde wrote:

@Binary Jay wrote:

I forgot to mention that I previously (when researching through existing posts on the board) tried to disable RSP in mt-daapd by removing it from the plugins list in the conf file. I didn’t however rename/move the rsp.so file. Is removing it from the plugins list not good enough to accomplish what you suggested to force mt-daapd into DAAP only mode?

That works for the version roku distributes (based on svn-1359). It was changed to load all plugins present in the plugin_dir around 1400 or so. It was done to make it easier for distros to modularize it… specific plugins that would drag in large dependancies could be packaged separately, and by just dropping the plugin in the plugin_dir and the plugin would automatically get activated.

Binary Jay
    Participant

I’ve had a chance to try a few things:

1) Using SB 2.5 – Disabled RSP module in mt-daapd, restart, same problem on SB.

2) Using SB 2.7 – Enabled RSP module, restart, same problem.

3) Using SB 2.7 – Disabled RSP module, restart, same problem.

I’m at a loss…

CCRDude
    Participant

Maybe try if the Soundbridge can detect any of the other server types that it should? A Windows PC with Windows Media Player running (at least I saw our Vista test machine on the SB), or, since you seem to run a Linux, maybe Slimserver? Not as a permanent solution of course, but would at least show if the SB can find anything on the server machine.

Binary Jay
    Participant

As I noted in my earlier posts, the SB can detect and play off Rhythmbox on
    the machine sharing through DAAP.

It also plays off of Firefly running on Windows on another machine.

I’ll try slimserver, I guess, though since I’m running out of options and becoming more and more unhappy with this thing.

@CCRDude wrote:

Maybe try if the Soundbridge can detect any of the other server types that it should? A Windows PC with Windows Media Player running (at least I saw our Vista test machine on the SB), or, since you seem to run a Linux, maybe Slimserver? Not as a permanent solution of course, but would at least show if the SB can find anything on the server machine.

Binary Jay
    Participant

OK!

I managed to figure out what was going on with mt-daapd on my server and corrected it quite easily.

I was scrutinizing my process list when I noticed that not only the typical avahi daemons were running but zeroconf was running in there as well! I really have no idea how that slipped in there without me knowing.

I went and checked synaptic and sure enough the package was installed… I removed it, and started up mt-daapd (I had reinstalled the stable release) and the SB connected to it right away.

Add this one to the FAQ, please!!!

rpedde
    Participant

@Binary Jay wrote:

OK!

I managed to figure out what was going on with mt-daapd on my server and corrected it quite easily.

I was scrutinizing my process list when I noticed that not only the typical avahi daemons were running but zeroconf was running in there as well! I really have no idea how that slipped in there without me knowing.

I went and checked synaptic and sure enough the package was installed… I removed it, and started up mt-daapd (I had reinstalled the stable release) and the SB connected to it right away.

Add this one to the FAQ, please!!!

That’s crazy.

— Ron

Binary Jay
    Participant

@rpedde wrote:

That’s crazy.

— Ron

Which part? Zeroconf running, or zeroconf screwing mt-daapd up for the SB the way it was?

rpedde
    Participant

@Binary Jay wrote:

@rpedde wrote:

That’s crazy.

— Ron

Which part? Zeroconf running, or zeroconf screwing mt-daapd up for the SB the way it was?

It screwing things up. That’s bizarre. I’ll add a note about multiple mdns servers. Wouldn’t have thought it though.

— Ron

christina colleer
    Participant

Binary Jay
    Sorry I’m a bit of a novice but do you mean Zero config should NOT run at all on PC? I noticed that after dowloading the Firefly things had changed to zero config on both PC and laptop. I dare not change anything anymore. I have downloaded slimserver but SB does not pick that up at all.

I would be very grateful if you would reply. Many thanks
    Christina

Binary Jay
    Participant

Somebody will correct me if I’m wrong but I’m quite sure that my problem/solution is very much linux specific.

@christina colleer wrote:

Binary Jay
    Sorry I’m a bit of a novice but do you mean Zero config should NOT run at all on PC? I noticed that after dowloading the Firefly things had changed to zero config on both PC and laptop. I dare not change anything anymore. I have downloaded slimserver but SB does not pick that up at all.

I would be very grateful if you would reply. Many thanks
    Christina

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 22 total)
  • The forum ‘Setup Issues’ is closed to new topics and replies.