Rhythmbox

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    greenleaf
    Participant

I’m having a problem getting Rhythmbox to play music from my Firefly shared library. I can see the library and the files in it, but when I try to play them, it marks them as not found instead of playing them.

My setup is as follows:
    Firefly from Ubuntu Feisty sources on Ubuntu Feisty
    Rhythmbox from Ubuntu Feisty sources on another Ubuntu Feisty system

Both Firefly and Rhythmbox have been set up exactly the way Ubuntu Feisty installs them, no additional setup performed. I have two systems running iTunes, one Windows and one OS-X that both see the Firefly library, as well as all the custom playlists I’ve created and can play songs with no problems at all. I just can’t seem to get Rhythmbox to work.

Is there some sort of additional setup I need to do either to Firefly or to Rhythmbox to be able to connect to the share and play music? Or is there another application I should be using instead?

Thanks in advance for helping this n00b.

fizze
    Participant

No, normally not.

If rhythmbox can see the daap share it should also be able to play content.
    What kind of files do you use? mp3?
    Can you play mp3 files, locally?

greenleaf
    Participant

Nearly every song in the library is mp3. I haven’t tried playing any mp3 files locally on that machine yet. I wasn’t planning to store any music there. I’ll have to load some mp3 files on there when I get back home and try playing them to see what happens.

fizze
    Participant

Well chances are you lack some codec.
    But normally gstreamer takes care of all that. Still, it happens *shrug* 😉

greenleaf
    Participant

I believe I have found the problem. I don’t appear to have the mp3 codecs installed. Rhythmbox gives me the following error “The GStreamer plugins to decode “MP3″ files cannot be found.” I’ve started to look around in the package manager, but I’m not sure what I need to get in order to fix the problem.

Geez, I feel like such a n00b.

greenleaf
    Participant

@greenleaf wrote:

I believe I have found the problem. I don’t appear to have the mp3 codecs installed. Rhythmbox gives me the following error “The GStreamer plugins to decode “MP3″ files cannot be found.” I’ve started to look around in the package manager, but I’m not sure what I need to get in order to fix the problem.

Geez, I feel like such a n00b.

Nevermind. I found what I was looking for. in fact, I’m listening to music from my server in Rhythmbox right now. I still have one problem, though. The playlists I created in Firefly or in iTunes on my other machines aren’t showing up. All I see is the entire library. Any suggestions on how to correct this on either the server or client side?

fizze
    Participant

No worries about the mp3 codec – it’s been a long way in Linux and still its not included in some distros by default for fear of patent infriction foobar….. 😉

What kind of playlist did you create?
    Firefly does read m3u playlists, but they have to have the relative path, and haave to be put in the correct location on the server, obviously.

What’s more, you have to enable process_m3u’s and playlist_scan iirc in the firefly conf.

greenleaf
    Participant

The playlists were all smart playlists created from the web interface of Firefly, and they all show up fine when browsing from iTunes on my other machines, so I suspect the issue is in Rhythmbox, rather than Firefly.

fizze
    Participant

Ah smart playlists, yes.
    This is a rhythmbox issue.

greenleaf
    Participant

@fizze wrote:

Ah smart playlists, yes.
    This is a rhythmbox issue.

meh.

Can you direct me to a fix/workaround, or is this something I’ll have to deal with until someone on the Rhythmbox dev team gets around to fixing?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 14 total)
  • The forum ‘Setup Issues’ is closed to new topics and replies.