Rhythmbox and mt-daapd on the same machine

FireFly Media Server Firefly Media Server Forums Firefly Media Server Setup Issues Rhythmbox and mt-daapd on the same machine

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    onedotseven
    Participant

Hello,

I have mt-daapd and Rhythmbox installed on the same machine (Ubuntu 6.10).

I’d like to use Rhythmbox to access my music through Firefly, but a bug in RB won’t let me do that:

* http://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=342655
    * https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source…box/+bug/55045

If I understand well (I might not), I can fix this problem by running mt-daapd under a different user than Rhythmbox. How do I do that? (I tried to modify mt-daapd.conf “runas=root” but that didn’t work.)

Thank you for your help.

fizze
    Participant

there is another command line parameter that might be useful. This one ignores the initial user privileges, maye you might be finally able to figure something out.

Other than that, just create a new user with useradd, set it to the same group as your account, and let firefly run as that one. Thats the clean solution anyway.

On the other hand, you dont want to switch from rthythmbox, do ya?

onedotseven
    Participant

I’ll try that, to add another user. Thanks.

@fizze wrote:

you dont want to switch from rthythmbox, do ya?

Well, all I know really under Linux/Gnome is Rhythmbox and Banshee. I hate Banshee. It’s slow and buggy. The last.fm plug-in does not work properly and the daap client won’t read all the ID3 tags. And main issue: cannot browse Artists or Albums.

I don’t even use the Library part of the program, since all my music is served by Firefly. All I need is just a working DAAP client that will let me browse artists and albums (I don’t use playlists) with a working last.fm plug-in.

If you have any suggestion, I’ll be happy to read them 🙂

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The forum ‘Setup Issues’ is closed to new topics and replies.